What's new

Pores.

I am curious if anyone knows what is meant by the term "pores" of the skin. Clearly they are openings or accessible spaces of some type since they are alleged to open and close. But what the heck are they, in terms of the skin's structure?

I'll probably try and research it myself but, I wonder if anyone else has been curious enough to look into it.

Someone who knows Biology correct me if I am wrong, but I believe pores are where our sweat excretes from. I think they have other functions too.

Them's the little holes in your skin you can see if you look closely or with a hand lens. The hairs grow out of them and sweat comes out of them as do oils and the like and as conditions change they contract and expand to help regulate the body temperature.

In addition to what has already been said, pores can sometime become enlarged as we age. Genetics, oily skin, poor skin care and the sun can contribute to the enlargement. Avoiding enlarged pores helps to keep your skin looking more youthful with age.

See this link for an example of what enlarged pores look like.

Someone who knows Biology correct me if I am wrong, but I believe pores are where our sweat excretes from. I think they have other functions too.

Them's the little holes in your skin you can see if you look closely or with a hand lens. The hairs grow out of them and sweat comes out of them as do oils and the like and as conditions change they contract and expand to help regulate the body temperature.

Yessirs pores are small holes in your skin (millions of them) where either different glands excrete stuff like sweat and oil (sebum), and where the hairs come through the skin.

See this picture from Wikipedia:
proxy.php

Top Bottom