What's new

POLL: Thayer's Witch Hazel - Alcohol vs Alcohol-FREE version. Which do you prefer?

Thayer's Witch Hazel - Alcohol vs non-alcohol version. Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I don't recommend Thayers at all. I tried the rose, lavender, and astringent versions and found no benefit whatsoever. Frankly I wondered if it was nothing more than faintly scented water. My wife likes the astringent version as a cleanser and make up remover but for me it was a complete waste of time and money.

I bought a bottle of the Alcohol-free unscented late last year. It is a good product, and I enjoy the post-shave feel, but I can't say that it is any better than the plain witch hazel I have used for the last two decades... Once I have finished this bottle, I'll go back to plain witch hazel.

Alcohol-free toner, lightly scented so it won't interfere with aftershave or Cologne. Soothing after a shave. Love it.

I couldn't vote, mine's not listed. I use plain 'ol cheap Walmart Witch Hazel. Used to be like 59 cents but it seems like it's over a buck for a bottle now. Anyway, it works fine for me.

I have used the alcohol free version of Thayers for years but I am switching over to Stirling Soap Company's witch hazel when I finish my current bottle of Thayers. I did try a generic witch hazel from a local store, it had alcohol in it and it made my skin tight.

Although I'd been using an alcohol aftershave since the 1960s, Thayers Superhazel was like splashing acid on my face. Down the drain it went. Then I tried 2 different bottles of Thayer alcohol free. They were like splashing scented water on my face. After failing to convince my wife to use them, both of those went down the drain. I like a nice splash (or two) of Dickinson's before or instead of an alcohol aftershave. When we vacation down south, a Kroger or generic witch hazel works just as good.

I find an astringent post shave works well for my skin. Witch Hazel with alcohol followed by a Bay Rum splash is my baseline. May add a scent after that since Bay Rum fades pretty quick for me.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The one's with alcohol. That is the most natural. The Thayers I tried without alcohol was loaded with aloe, which I hate because I hate a sticky face.

I prefer Dickinson or Humphries.

I'm partial to the original alcohol version. It has a subtle scent of its own that pairs nicely with La Toja sticks and creams.

That said, I also like the rose- and lavender-scented toner versions after Haslinger's sheep milk soap.

Non-alcohol version for me. I've avoided AS that contain alcohol since three or four years ago.

I've used the unscented, lavender, and rose versions. All work about the same on my skin.

Depends on what you want it for. If its a post-shave step for toning, astringing, anti-septic etc. that you then wear splash/balm over...save your money and buy a bottle of normal unscented witch-hazel from the supermarket that is double the size for like $5 (AT Most!).

Since they discontinued my beloved Superhazel, I do not use witch hazel. I do not like the scent of generic or Dickinson at all, instead I use a nice aftershave splash.

Since they discontinued my beloved Superhazel, I do not use witch hazel. I do not like the scent of generic or Dickinson at all, instead I use a nice aftershave splash.
I do have scented aftershaves like Clubman and Poraso green but I often shave at night right before bed so I need something with little to no scent

I voted for the alcohol version because I've only tried the non-alcohol version in a sample. From what I remember, I didn't like it as much as the regular alcohol version.

I do have scented aftershaves like Clubman and Poraso green but I often shave at night right before bed so I need something with little to no scent
A lot of people dilute their scented aftershave with witch hazel. Especially when they find their aftershave to be too powerful or the witch hazel scent undesirable. I have seen barbers dilute their aftershave tremendously so people weren’t overwhelmed. I thought about doing this with unscented Thayers and Osage rub but haven’t tried it yet.

I used to use Superhazel every night but now I use Proraso Green, Osage Rub, or Eau De Portugal from Pinaud. Very fleeting scent on all of those, especially the Eau De Portugal. They all make fine astringents in my book.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
A lot of people dilute their scented aftershave with witch hazel. Especially when they find their aftershave to be too powerful or the witch hazel scent undesirable. I have seen barbers dilute their aftershave tremendously so people weren’t overwhelmed. I thought about doing this with unscented Thayers and Osage rub but haven’t tried it yet.

I used to use Superhazel every night but now I use Proraso Green, Osage Rub, or Eau De Portugal from Pinaud. Very fleeting scent on all of those, especially the Eau De Portugal. They all make fine astringents in my book.

I mix half & half Thayers Super Hazel with another astringent that has 2 percent Salicylic Acid in it. Makes a pretty good solvent for cuts, nicks, ingrowns or the rare pimple on my butt cheek.

Mixin’ stuff…. It’s what I do.

:)

I usually use Dickinson's or the generic. The alcohol content is pretty low, it works fine for me. I usually add a few drops of Lavender or Lemon cologne water to it. Scent and skin goodies I can get from an aftershave later on if I want.

Top Bottom