What's new

Polishing a barbers hone after lapping

HI folks, Any ideas for the best way to polish up a barbers hone after lapping it. When I lap out the little chips the hones become lighter and lose that shiny surface. Is there a way to restore it?

Last edited:
That shiny surface is the hone wear and filled in with swarf from the blade and the hone. Lapping to a finer grain paper will get you closer by removing scratches, but the shiny surface is not what you want.

Phil

That shiny surface is the hone wear and filled in with swarf from the blade and the hone. Lapping to a finer grain paper will get you closer by removing scratches, but the shiny surface is not what you want.

Phil

So, what grit would you recommend going to with wet/dry paper? Something like 1,500?

I would try something more along the lines of 600 and see if you get the edge your looking for on your razor. The grit you lap with determines how much bite or polish you'll get. I have a Swaty that I can put a nice semigloss finish to but it will make a bevel so polished you need sunglasses to look at it and it takes quite q few strokes for an edge. Whats your email? They post post large enough on here to read them.

Last edited:
I would try something more along the lines of 600 and see if you get the edge your looking for on your razor. The grit you lap with determines how much bite or polish you'll get. I have a Swaty that I can put a nice semigloss finish to but it will make a bevel so polished you need sunglasses to look at it and it takes quite q few strokes for an edge. Whats your email? I have some instructions that are for a Swaty but they will give you an idea.Actually I will post them here for others too.

I would love to see those instructions also. I have a 2 line swaty, and might have a chance to get a 3 line. The one I have now has a pretty glossy finish to it. I want to learn how to get the best out of it.

Top Bottom