What's new

Pocket Watch

I'm with you on that one. Have you ever considered trying this?
http://www.timezonewatchschool.com/WatchSchool/

Hey, while your at it you could twist the knife too! ;-)

I've been wanting to do that for a while, but my wife says no more hobbies... I only got into this because I convinced her that it was going to be a lot cheaper than buying the freaking expensive blades for my Gillette Fusion, and my brother loaning me his Tech to get started with helped. Of course I think she's figured out that she was duped.

Mike

Hey, while your at it you could twist the knife too! ;-)

I've been wanting to do that for a while, but my wife says no more hobbies... I only got into this because I convinced her that it was going to be a lot cheaper than buying the freaking expensive blades for my Gillette Fusion, and my brother loaning me his Tech to get started with helped. Of course I think she's figured out that she was duped.

Mike

Of course she was duped! Shhhh!......so how is your fountain pen and fedora collection coming?:lol:

I have a guy who is excellent, and English fellow living in Texas. Here's his website:

http://www.abellwatchmakers.com/

Mike

Thanks, Mike. :thumbup1:

My Illinois ain't so pretty.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

But it should clean up.

Those are some beaut's I must say. I notice some look like they have not been cleaned. Are they worth more that way or is there another reason. If I came across one like we do with old razors, and I wanted to use it for telling time, what should I do.

Those are some beaut's I must say. I notice some look like they have not been cleaned. Are they worth more that way or is there another reason. If I came across one like we do with old razors, and I wanted to use it for telling time, what should I do.

I don't know much about value, I like because I like them, but if you are referring to exterior cleaning you must remember that the vast majority of the gold colored watches are gold plated just like our razors. So, if you're too aggressive in your cleaning you can remove the plating and cause more brassing. Many of the the silver colored watches I'm told were either "silveroid" or nickle silver. Those you can clean without removing plating.

As for the inside, the movement or the face, those are best left to experienced watchmakers and/or restoration experts.

Just my $.02.

By the way, those Illinois Rail Road watches were beautiful watches and functioned flawlessly. That one has significant brassing and the porcelien (sp) face is badly cracked. Both can be replaced but at what price I don't know but I bet the movement can be revived.

Mike

Last edited:
Of course she was duped! Shhhh!......so how is your fountain pen and fedora collection coming?:lol:

I don't do fedoras, but my pen collection just got two nice additions, a 1950s Cross and 1914 Simplo Filler (ie, Mont Blanc)

Mike

I don't do fedoras, but my pen collection just got two nice additions, a 1950s Cross and 1914 Simplo Filler (ie, Mont Blanc)

Mike
Mike, you will sooner or later, believe me.:wink2: Sounds like a couple of nice scores, especially the Simplo. You will have to post some pictures.

Today, I stopped by a little antique shop in town and picked up this Elgin for $36.00. It has been keeping great time.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know much about value, I like because I like them, but if you are referring to exterior cleaning you must remember that the vast majority of the gold colored watches are gold plated just like our razors. So, if you're too aggressive in your cleaning you can remove the plating and cause more brassing. Many of the the silver colored watches I'm told were either "silveroid" or nickle silver. Those you can clean without removing plating.

As for the inside, the movement or the face, those are best left to experienced watchmakers and/or restoration experts.

Just my $.02.

By the way, those Illinois Rail Road watches were beautiful watches and functioned flawlessly. That one has significant brassing and the porcelien (sp) face is badly cracked. Both can be replaced but at what price I don't know but I bet the movement can be revived.

Mike

No gold plating on those. Those would be gold fill which is a totally different process but in the end the brass wears through anyway.

Whatever the case is made of if you look at the inside of the case cover it will say if it's fill or solid gold or sterling or silverode also called ore silver.

Mike,

I tested it after I bought it and it ran like a champ.

I'll still have it serviced and the dial preserved. I don't think I'll have it, or the case replaced. Someone in the past loved this thing and I think I'll continue the tradition.

I may have a matching set of hands installed. :thumbup1:

No gold plating on those. Those would be gold fill which is a totally different process but in the end the brass wears through anyway.

Whatever the case is made of if you look at the inside of the case cover it will say if it's fill or solid gold or sterling or silverode also called ore silver.

My mistake for using one term for another.

Mike

Mike, you will sooner or later, believe me.:wink2: Sounds like a couple of nice scores, especially the Simplo. You will have to post some pictures.

I definitely will when I get around to it. I have found that I have less and less time recently. The only reason I'm able to post on this board at all is that get to go to work! At home I have a wife and two year old twins that keep me busy, especially when the other kids are at their other parents houses.

Mike

I have a passion for pocketwatches. Here are mine:

proxy.php

1957 Ball-Record railroad watch (21j, 16s, 8 adj). 10kt gold-filled case.

proxy.php

1899 Waltham M1895. (7j, 14s). 14kt gold-filled case.

proxy.php

1918 Elgin (15j, 16s). 14kt gold-filled case.

I wear a pocket watch as part of my daily attire. I can't stand wristwatches (haven't worn one since I started university) and I can read a pocketwatch more clearly.

I only have an inexpensive quartz pocket watch, but I've been fascinated with them ever since I was a kid. It's a shame there aren't better pockets for watches on modern clothes (don't tell me about vintage clothing, either; I have enough expensive hobbies, thanks).

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have several pocket watches. My best one is a nice Hamilton 992 Railroad watch. Also have several other antique jobs such as Waltham and a very old English one and a few fairly modern ones. I quite like one Chinese pocket watch with a picture of Chairman Mao on the face I picked up somewhere!
One might wonder about the quality of a Chinese movement several decades old, and you will probably find that the watch normally keeps really poor time.

Of course, when visiting China you will find that it works wonderfully. After all, Chairman Mao is always right: what time is it? Why, whatever time Chairman Mao says!! :001_rolle
"Don't you have a cell phone?"

No :tongue_sm

I only have an inexpensive quartz pocket watch, but I've been fascinated with them ever since I was a kid. It's a shame there aren't better pockets for watches on modern clothes (don't tell me about vintage clothing, either; I have enough expensive hobbies, thanks).

When I'm not wearing a waistcoat, I put my pocket-watch into the watch-pockets of my trousers.

Top Bottom