What's new

Plugs vs Rope

Lately I've become interested in Virginia-Burley/Dark Fired Kentucky blends due to my immense enjoyment of MB Old Dark Fired and Peterson's 3P's. Plugs are especially alluring to me. I realize there are a few plugs to be had here in North America, but there seems to be a bunch that can, for the most part, only be had in England. Instead of wasting countless hours trying to track down or figure how to obtain these hard-to-get tobacs (like I do with Penzance, Stonehaven, etc.:a52:) I was thinking that maybe the much more available ropes would give me a similar smoking experience.

Now, I'm not neccesarily looking for strong tobac in terms of nicotine. It's more the dark, earthy, smokey (not in the Latakia sense), sometimes molasses character with lots of body and weight to the smoke (being able to feel it in your mouth, nose and throat) that I'm after. Can anyone comment on how plugs and ropes stack up to each other in terms of the characteristics I've mentioned?

Just for the heck of it, I'm going to list the plugs I'm aware of and interested in to see if you guys can help me add to it (no heavy casing, florals, Lakelands, etc):

- Peterson's Perfect Plug
- GLP JackKnife Plug
- GLP Triple Play (Va-Bur-Per but Perique is always welcome, especially since most is actually burley)
- G&H Dark Plug
- G&H Revor Plug
- Murray Yachtsman Plug
- Murray Warrior Plug
- Mick Mcquaid Plug
- Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Plug (Va only but FVF is in same flavour ballpark, IMO)

Also, here are the Virginia-Burley blends that aren't plus I'm aware of (any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated):

- Bell's Three Nuns
- Orlik Dark Kentucky
- Peter Heinrich's Strong Dark Flake
- G&H Dark Flake Unscented
- Mac Baren ODF
- GLP JackKnife Plug Ready Rubbed
- Esoterica Stonehaven
- JF Germain Rich Dark Flake
- Peterson Irish Flake
- Solani Silver Flake

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Have you tried Black XX yet? If not, a nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat (I haven't been to the post office yet-wink, wink, nod, nod).

The eye contcact-averting icons and winks already have me worried about ropes. Nah, not really. I'm guessing they're stronger than plugs; that's fine, as long as they're as flavourful. Thanks for the suggetsions so far. Owen, no, I haven't had Black XX yet. That was actually the blend we first discussed you sending me back in the summer, but I changed my mind and went for the St. James Flake when my interests changed from strong 'baccy to VaPers. Seems I've come full circle.

jmallen5, I know you're a VaPer guy... what's your take on my opinion that some VaPers are kinda like VaBur blends as the "perique" started out as burley leaf. I realize perique can often be either spicey/peppery or jammy/winey in taste (very un-burley-like), but I also sense a richness and solid backbone to the smoke from VaPers that I also get from VaBur blends.

In both cases the Va outweighs the per or bur. If the Va is good quality, I'll enjoy the blend. I don't have the most refined of palates, I'd have a hard time telling the difference in a blind test. I just go with what I like.

Definitely getting some kind of tobacco plug next month, because I bought a nice little Gerber Paraframe just for that reason. It honed up real nice with my teeny cotis, so it's nice and sharp for it.

I need to check out that SG FV plug!

I've only ever seen it for sale at one place, in the UK. Apparently there is a St. James Plug, too. I think that's even more rare than FV Plug.

Hey guys don't forget trading of tobacco is verboten.

No problem, Kent. Thanks for the heads-up. Just for edification, is there anything in writing that spells out the details of this issue? For instance, let's say I set up a trade with another member via email, are we not allowed to even mention the trade here in the Brown Leaf? Also, how was the Secret Santa tobacco gifting program viewed in the context of this "ban"? In addition, I believe I've seen tobacco PIFs openly posted about in the forum; how does that differ from trading? Apologies if these questions are innapropriate for open discussion. Just PM me the answers if that's the case, but I think there are others here who'd also appreciate some clarification on these issues. Thanks.

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It's more how B&B would be liable if for some reason the person you sent some HOTW was a 15 year old pipe user. It's a fine line for sure so we just err on the side of caution.

PIFs never specify what is being sent out if you go back and read a few, or at least it shouldn't.

The BL Santa was a similar thing. The writing is pretty much "no sale or trade of tobacco" :).

I'll pass on your question to a senior moderator to see if I missed something.

No pifs, trades or sales of tobacco are currently allowed within the confines of B&B. Any such activity done outside of B&B is not anything that is manageable by the forum, but discussion about it is. The secret santa was for gifting tobacco related items, not tobacco. Those who gifted tobacco broke the rules. Long story short, keep it off the forum until official policy is in place allowing it. Feel free to pm JWhite or any mod if clarification is further needed.

Top Bottom