What's new

Chemically Induced Tongue Bite

You know, I never really thought much about being "allergic" to something in a tobacco that would cause tongue bite until I started looking this stuff up a few days ago. Over the years, I've found that certain blends tear me up, but didn't think about why. My biggest culprit is OTC blends, but there's no real rhyme or reason. Prince Albert smokes fine. Same with Sir Walter- both regular and aromatic. Velvet, Middleton's Cherry, Union Leader and Half and Half kill me. Velvet is the absolute worst and it's a shame because I love the taste and the aroma more so than just about any other tobacco. Another blend I cannot smoke at all is a totally different type than listed above...the Virginia based Lane's Very Cherry.

I wouldn't think it would be a PG type allergy because I'm sure they all have it added to them and the biggest users of PG, like Capt. Black and the majority of Lane's stuff, cause no problems. If tongue bite was based solely on technique, I would think my favorite blends of uncased VA and Dark Fired would do it, also. They don't.

Any ideas?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If it were I, I would look at what blends that are not aromatics or Codger Type blends that give me trouble, and see if there is some common ground.
Is it true that you have issues with certain blends regardless of the pipe used?

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
It's likely a ph issue. Most of the blends you've mentioned are burley based, and all of the blends you've mentioned have toppings. I suspect its an issue with certain toppings and with burley causing a ph change in your mouth. There are certain blends I just can't smoke because they give me tongue bite, so I'd recommend that you just stay away from those blends, and proceed cautiously with anything that's burley based or has a flavored topping.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
You know, I never really thought much about being "allergic" to something in a tobacco that would cause tongue bite until I started looking this stuff up a few days ago. Over the years, I've found that certain blends tear me up, but didn't think about why. My biggest culprit is OTC blends, but there's no real rhyme or reason. Prince Albert smokes fine. Same with Sir Walter- both regular and aromatic. Velvet, Middleton's Cherry, Union Leader and Half and Half kill me. Velvet is the absolute worst and it's a shame because I love the taste and the aroma more so than just about any other tobacco. Another blend I cannot smoke at all is a totally different type than listed above...the Virginia based Lane's Very Cherry.

I wouldn't think it would be a PG type allergy because I'm sure they all have it added to them and the biggest users of PG, like Capt. Black and the majority of Lane's stuff, cause no problems. If tongue bite was based solely on technique, I would think my favorite blends of uncased VA and Dark Fired would do it, also. They don't.

Any ideas?

On the big OTCs, it's the casing formulae. PA and SWR are cased somewhat similarly, with very light agents used. Velvet and H&H use different ingredients, and can be more cantankerous if you over-puff them ... Velvet in particular.

Anything aromatic, and you add topping agents, which vary dramatically among blenders. Cheaper heavier aromatics are going to use cheaper topping agents. And some of those ingredients can burn very hot and bite hard once overheated.

The novice puffing away on a cheap aromatic like an overworked steam engine is asking for trouble.

Fortunately, SWRA is among the most lightly topped aromatics out there (quality over quantity, IMO), so you really have to go out of your way to make it bite.

Most basic OTC Burleys (Granger, SWR, PA, CH, LLRR) won't bite if overheated. They just lose all flavor and can sometimes go ashy, unfairly earning the "tasteless" complaint among those who don't understand them.

BUT, that's why we have a variety of these classics. If one doesn't work for you, one of the others almost certainly will.

As far as the match blends go, I've seen some comments over the years about occasional bite with some of the sweeter ones. You would need to drill down with Sutliff to see what they are using in their recipes. Sutliff is likely discriminating some of its matches with very light toppings. If a Sutliff match is biting you, try one from Milan or another small shop, who may use less difficult ingredients.

PG is another issue altogether. My last few tubs of LLRR were darn wet with it. But after about a week, it settles down to unnoticeable.

The key habit to form with OTCs is to puff them as slowly and gently as possible. They are wonderful teachers for acquiring that skill, do not punish hard for miscues, and amply reward the successful pupil with a lifetime of pipe pleasure. Master the OTCs, and you can smoke anything.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The article is linked in post #6 in this thread.

Velvet stings me too. Also LLRR sometimes. Not that shark bite, but the one that leaves your mouth kind of scorched after you smoked the entire bowl.

Sometimes more, sometimes less… but it’s there.

PA is my lowest bite/mouth irritation OTC.

The article is linked in post #6 in this thread.

Nice thread, but unfortunately the article about chemical bite linked there no longer works. I'm wondering if anybody here captured the text, I would love to read it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Nice thread, but unfortunately the article about chemical bite linked there no longer works. I'm wondering if anybody here captured the text, I would love to read it.

Tongue Bite: The Bane of Pipe Smoking​

by David Peterson of the Virtual Smoking Lounge​

Nearly every pipe smoker eventually becomes familiar with the much-dreaded "tongue bite." This bane of pipe smoking has caused many to give up the hobby altogether rather than suffer the uncomfortable and sometimes painful irritation that results from being "bitten" by one's pipe.
Many have theorized about the cause of tongue bite, and many more have offered their advice on how to avoid it. I hesitate to add one more voice to the din, and this simply essay is not intended to be exhaustive or definitive. But I believe the more we understand our hobby, the more we can enjoy it. So I offer this humble article in hopes that will be helpful to those who are frustrated with tongue bite.

Definition of Tongue Bite​

For my discussion here, tongue bite is defined as a condition caused by pipe smoking which results in a sore, tender, or irritated tongue. Other oral tissues can also be affected and are sometimes referred to as "hot spots." Smokers describe the discomfort in various ways: "a burning sensation," "raw tongue," "an acid burn," "feels like pins or needles," and so on. The effects of tongue bite range from a minor irritation to considerable discomfort or pain. Sometimes the symptoms last just a few hours; other times they can last for days. Also, although it can be immediate, tongue bite does not always occur during the smoke. Many report that their tongue was quite comfortable during the smoke itself, but their tongues feel irritated hours later or even the next day.

Causes of Tongue Bite​

Over the years, there has been a great deal of discussion and speculation about the causes of tongue bite. Some experienced pipe smokers swear there is no cause other than the improper, rushed technique of new smokers. Others suggest a host of possibilities ranging from simple heat and steam, all the way to detailed analysis of alkalinity levels in the tobacco. Recent studies indicate that the painful phenomenon may also have to do with the individual's taste buds. Apparently, heat opens sensitive channels and pores in taste buds, making them more vulnerable to painful sensations.
As you might imagine, all of these varying possibilities can create quite a bit of confusion among pipe smokers about what actually causes tongue bite. This confusion often results in a wide variety of unhelpful, and even silly, "cures" and treatments. So let's take a look at some facts about tongue bite.
Aside from physiological factors that may make one person more susceptible than another (these will be discussed briefly below), the causes of tongue bite seem to be pretty straight forward. Tongue bite generally results from either a chemical burn or heat scald (or both). Most of us can immediately understand how heat could cause irritation, but talk of chemical burns seems extreme. Simply put, chemical burns are produced by the caustic elements in the smoke. In other words, pipe smoke that contains higher levels of alkalinity will produce painful irritations of the tongue and oral membranes.

Alkalinity and Tongue Bite​

I should point out up front that this section gets a bit technical, and I'm not expert in chemistry. But to help make some sense of the issue of alkalinity and how it relates to tongue bite, I should start with a quick review on alkalinity.
Every solution is either acidic or alkaline. (Alkaline is often called "base.") Acidity and alkalinity are measured in pH (potential of hydrogen). The pH scale goes from 0 to 14, with 0 the most acidic, 7 is neutral, and 14 the most alkaline. For example, the pH of stomach acid is 1, wine is 3.5, and water is 7.
When smoke from tobacco has a higher degree of alkalinity, it will produce painful irritation of the tongue, regardless of its temperature. A principal cause of alkaline smoke is a tobacco containing little or no sugar, such as Burley. Soil chemistry where the tobacco was grown can also influence the pH of the leaf. Virginias and other tobaccos with high sugar content generally produce an acidic smoke, which is easier on the mucous membranes and tongue. However, if combustion temperature goes too high, then the hydrocarbons (especially sugars) join with oxygen to form water and turn neutral, thus leaving the alkaline components to predominate in the smoke.
This simply means when this type of tongue bite occurs, it is the result of a chemical reaction; it has nothing to do with heat or the temperature of the smoke. Even if you were to freeze the smoke and make it ice cold, the high alkalinity could still produce a chemical irritation.
Well-known master tobacconist, G. L. Pease, points out these details concerning common tobaccos and their pH and sugar levels:
Burley and Virginias have a similar pH of 5.4 to 5.8 (although Virginias have significantly more sugar in the form of dextrose, about 0.2% for Burleys and approximately 22% for bright Virginia).
Turkish is somewhat more acidic, generally about pH 4.9, while containing only about 12% sugar.
The alkalinity of the water soluble ash from Burley, however, is 2-3 times that of Virginia.
Pease also explains when sugars are burned at higher temperatures, they tend to produce smoke with a higher pH than when burned more slowly. This can cause Virginias to smoke "hot" when puffed furiously, while gentle smoking will liberate the sugars into the water which is produced during combustion of the tobacco. Maintaining a delicate balance between steam generated by the vaporizing water in the tobacco and the water vapor produced as a byproduct of normal combustion is very important to getting a sweet, cool smoke. If the tobacco is too wet, too much steam is generated, diluting the "sweetness" of the smoke, and resulting in caloric heat. If the tobacco is too dry, the smoker may tend to smoke it hot, creating an alkaline smoke from the burning of sugars.
Tobaccos that are flue-cured, such as Virginia tobaccos or those exposed to a high heat soon after the leaf is removed from the plant, will have high sugar content. This is because metabolic processes within the leaf, and microorganisms that live there, are killed by the heat before the sugar is consumed.
Sun-cured or air-cured tobaccos, on the other hand, have low sugar content, because most of the sugar is either metabolized within the leaf itself or consumed by microorganisms between the time when the leaf was removed from the plant and the end of the initial curing process.
In light of this, one would expect Virginias and other heat-cured tobaccos to be gentle on the tongue, and Burley and other slowly-cured tobaccos to be harsh on the tongue. But this is not necessarily the case. When the leaf burns in your pipe, the higher the combustion temperature, the more complete the combustion and the more hydrogen ions combine with oxygen to form neutral water. Put differently, the higher the burn temperature, the more alkaline the smoke, as the acidic hydrogen is used to form neutral water and the alkaline components dominate.
The irony, of course, is that tobaccos rich in sugar tend to burn easily, fast, and hot, while those low in sugar tend to burn slower and cooler. If you smoke a sugar-rich Virginia hot, instead of pleasant acidic smoke, you will experience caustic alkaline smoke that bites with a vengeance. And if you smoke Burley, which is naturally higher alkaline, in a gentle, cool manner, you will be rewarded with an acidic smoke that will comfort your tongue. All of this can be further modified if the blender has applied extra sugar or honey or cased the tobacco with rum, for example. These additives can tilt the balance of the tobacco toward the acidic pH.

Heat, Steam, and Tongue Bite​

All the discussion of alkalinity can seem frustratingly complex. But another culprit in causing tongue bite is readily understood: heat. Obviously, heat can be irritating to sensitive oral membranes. If the temperatures of combustion while smoking a pipe get too high, it is feasible that discomfort or pain could result. This is probably most common during lighting or relighting the pipe. Always trying to burn the tobacco all the way to the very bottom of the bowl can also increase the likelihood of heat related tongue irritation. That's because the smoker may be more prone to draw forcefully on the pipe, which pulls the heat from the match or lighter directly into the mouth. This could result in a heat scald that would definitely "bite" the tongue.
Others suggest that during high temperature combustion of overly moist tobacco, water is vaporized, heated to the temperature of live steam, and then drawn into the mouth. (Live steam is invisible vapor with a temperature of 212 degrees Fahrenheit or higher; it is not "steam" or tiny droplets of water you can see.) Of course, live steam reaching the mouth would liberate an enormous amount of heat when it cools and condenses. If this occurred in contact with the tongue, that area would be scalded. However, it seems very unlikely that any water vapor actually reaches the mouth in the form of live steam, so this theory seems improbable.
What about the problems many report when smoking "wet" or "moist" tobacco? My theory is that since excessively moist tobacco burns poorly, it forces the smoker to keep the combustion temperature higher to keep the pipe lit. These higher temperatures produce more alkaline smoke, which results in chemical burn, as described above.
Another common idea is that the temperature of the smoke itself when it reaches the mouth can cause tongue bite. Based on the results from several studies, this seems very unlikely. These studies have demonstrated that the smoke generally arrives at the mouth with a temperature of 88 to 108 degrees Fahrenheit, which is normal body temperature plus or minus 10 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature doesn't even come close to an average cup of coffee at 140 degrees Fahrenheit and higher, which normally doesn't scald the tongue even at that temperature.

Miscellaneous and Personal Factors​

In addition to the causes discussed above, there is a final category of factors that contribute to tongue bite that are worth mentioning. This category is more difficult to discuss because it involves personal characteristics that vary from individual to individual. But perhaps a general overview will be helpful and alert folks to issues that may warrant personal consideration.
Biological studies have demonstrated great variations in the tasting abilities of individuals. This is due to the number of taste buds the individual has on his tongue. Those with larger numbers of buds are sometimes called "supertasters." Since taste buds are made up of nerves, receptors, pores, and such, this complex network can be more easily irritated in some individuals, especially those with higher taste capabilities. Research also indicates that nicotine has an effect on taste buds as well, which may also contribute to further irritation of the tongue from smoking.
Another factor is that of allergies or allergic reactions. It is a common fact that some folks have adverse reactions or hyper sensitivity to various substances. Sometimes these substances are naturally occurring (such as pollen or pet dander), other times they involve some aspect of processing or manufacturing (such as latex). But if you have an allergy to a substance in a particular tobacco blend, you could find that your tongue and oral tissues are excessively irritated. For example, if someone were allergic to chocolate, smoking a tobacco blend containing chocolate essences for flavoring could set off an allergic reaction.
Aside from actual diagnosed allergies, different people may simply have different tolerances for certain tobacco blends. To use myself as an example, even though I enjoy the taste of various cherry blends, the casing used to flavor these tobaccos gives me extreme tongue bite. So much so, that if I smoke them, my tongue is raw beyond belief for several days. Needless to say, I avoid such blends like the plague (I am not allergic to cherries by the way and can eat them in foods without issue).
Sensitivities and reduced tolerances can also be caused by physical characteristics or can be temporarily brought on by illness or infection. Again, to use myself as an example, I have a condition known as "fissure tongue." This is a benign condition with no cure, but it causes my tongue to be extra sensitive to many types irritation. This has forced me to limit my daily smoking and necessitated learning and diligent application of proper smoking technique. These and other similar factors can certainly cause greater risk of tongue bite that must be considered in your practice of pipe smoking.
Lastly, but certainly not least, is the matter of smoking frequency. This may seem self-evident, but I am continually surprised by how many folks complain of tongue bite after smoking multiple bowls every day. Perhaps the old cliché, "too much of a good thing" applies here. The tongue and oral tissues may develop certain tolerances over time, but they do not develop calluses in the same way as other tissues of the human body. Oral tissues are mucous membranes and have an extremely high vascularity. Except for unusual cases, they will always remain largely susceptible to irritation. Clearly if you are smoking several bowls a day and dealing with tongue bite, it is time to cut back. Reducing the number of bowls each day, or smoking on alternating days (Monday on, Tuesday off, etc.) may be just what the doctor ordered.

Preventing and Treating Tongue Bite​

Well, with all that science and technical data, it can be easy to lose track of the simple issue: Tongue bite is painful, and all pipe smokers want to avoid it. Here are some practical suggestions to help prevent and treat tongue bite.
Acquire proper smoking technique. This is absolutely essential. Improper technique can easily lead to some of the most common forms of tongue bite. For this reason it is vital to learn to take slow, gentle sips instead of long, heavy draws. Don't puff too rapidly, which increases combustion temperature leading to chemical and heat burn. Be careful when lighting or relighting so that you don't draw the flame/heat directly into your mouth. Learn to properly fill your bowl: Packing too tight will cause a difficult draw making you inhale too heavily. Packing too loosely will allow excessive airflow, which may cause the tobacco to burn hot. Learn when and how to tamp to keep your pipe lit without excessive or forceful puffing. I realize these suggestions don't actually tell you "how" to do these things; that information is for another article. But take the time to learn and exercise diligence. You will be greatly rewarded for your effort and patience.
Avoid tobaccos with high alkalinity. Smoke tobaccos rich in sugar. (See the general information above for ideas about which tobaccos contain more natural sugar and those with less alkalinity.) If you enjoy high alkaline tobaccos, try blending them with others to reduce the chemical burn issues. Also, if a particular tobacco irritates your tongue more than others, don't smoke it! With the rich variety of tobaccos available, there's no reason to smoke something that doesn't sit well with you.
Pay attention to the moisture content of your tobacco. If too dry, it is very easy to drive the combustion temperature too high. But if the tobacco is too moist, you will automatically compensate for the difficulty in making moist tobacco burn by puffing more strongly, and this too can easily drive the temperature of combustion too high, and result in very alkaline smoke.
Don't worry about your pipe going out. Some consider it a noble thing to smoke a pipe from start to finish on one or two lights, but that is an unnecessary encumbrance. There is absolutely no shame in relighting. If your pipe starts to go out, let it, and then relight. Nothing promotes a hot, alkaline smoke faster than trying to "rekindle" an ember which is in its death throes. As G. L. Pease said, "Cast thy pride to the winds, and call upon Prometheus whenever needed to enflame thy sweet smoke yet again!"
Don't insist on smoking your pipe all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Relighting at the bottom can cause a scald by drawing the heat from the flame directly into the mouth. Discarding a small amount of unburned tobacco may seem like a crime, but frying your tongue so you can't enjoy smoking at all is much worse.
Enjoy a warm or room temperature beverage with your pipe. Everyone has their own preferences here and some beverages may be enjoyably paired with specific tobacco blends. But a simple glass of water or a cup of coffee or tea are popular options.
Avoid eating or drinking items that tend to exacerbate tongue bite. Again, the specific list of items will vary from person to person due to individual tolerances, unique body chemistry, allergies, etc. As an example, many report problems from salty or spicy foods and carbonated beverages.
After smoking, drink a glass of milk. Some suggest this helps to soothe an irritated tongue.
Use a product such as Biotene mouthwash or Aloe Vera juice to regularly rinse your mouth (not necessarily during the smoke, but as a regular routine of oral hygiene). Many report that these products are highly effective in preventing and treating tongue bite.
Well, as I noted at the beginning, this essay is not the "final word" on tongue bite. There always seems to be new information on the horizon. But hopefully these details and practical suggestions will help you overcome the nasty gremlin that haunts so many pipe smokers. To paraphrase McGruff the Crime Dog, perhaps you will be able to "take a bite out of tongue bite" by understanding some of the causes and responding accordingly.
[Credit Where Credit is Due: Much of the technical information about pH and alkalinity in this article was gleaned from discussion and writing by James Beard and Gregory Pease. The information was retrieved from various online locations, blogs, discussion groups, and magazine articles. Where possible, the information was confirmed and cross-referenced with other technical sources.]

Tongue Bite: The Bane of Pipe Smoking​

by David Peterson of the Virtual Smoking Lounge​

Nearly every pipe smoker eventually becomes familiar with the much-dreaded "tongue bite." This bane of pipe smoking has caused many to give up the hobby altogether rather than suffer the uncomfortable and sometimes painful irritation that results from being "bitten" by one's pipe.
Many have theorized about the cause of tongue bite, and many more have offered their advice on how to avoid it. I hesitate to add one more voice to the din, and this simply essay is not intended to be exhaustive or definitive. But I believe the more we understand our hobby, the more we can enjoy it. So I offer this humble article in hopes that will be helpful to those who are frustrated with tongue bite.

Definition of Tongue Bite​

For my discussion here, tongue bite is defined as a condition caused by pipe smoking which results in a sore, tender, or irritated tongue. Other oral tissues can also be affected and are sometimes referred to as "hot spots." Smokers describe the discomfort in various ways: "a burning sensation," "raw tongue," "an acid burn," "feels like pins or needles," and so on. The effects of tongue bite range from a minor irritation to considerable discomfort or pain. Sometimes the symptoms last just a few hours; other times they can last for days. Also, although it can be immediate, tongue bite does not always occur during the smoke. Many report that their tongue was quite comfortable during the smoke itself, but their tongues feel irritated hours later or even the next day.

Causes of Tongue Bite​

Over the years, there has been a great deal of discussion and speculation about the causes of tongue bite. Some experienced pipe smokers swear there is no cause other than the improper, rushed technique of new smokers. Others suggest a host of possibilities ranging from simple heat and steam, all the way to detailed analysis of alkalinity levels in the tobacco. Recent studies indicate that the painful phenomenon may also have to do with the individual's taste buds. Apparently, heat opens sensitive channels and pores in taste buds, making them more vulnerable to painful sensations.
As you might imagine, all of these varying possibilities can create quite a bit of confusion among pipe smokers about what actually causes tongue bite. This confusion often results in a wide variety of unhelpful, and even silly, "cures" and treatments. So let's take a look at some facts about tongue bite.
Aside from physiological factors that may make one person more susceptible than another (these will be discussed briefly below), the causes of tongue bite seem to be pretty straight forward. Tongue bite generally results from either a chemical burn or heat scald (or both). Most of us can immediately understand how heat could cause irritation, but talk of chemical burns seems extreme. Simply put, chemical burns are produced by the caustic elements in the smoke. In other words, pipe smoke that contains higher levels of alkalinity will produce painful irritations of the tongue and oral membranes.

Alkalinity and Tongue Bite​

I should point out up front that this section gets a bit technical, and I'm not expert in chemistry. But to help make some sense of the issue of alkalinity and how it relates to tongue bite, I should start with a quick review on alkalinity.
Every solution is either acidic or alkaline. (Alkaline is often called "base.") Acidity and alkalinity are measured in pH (potential of hydrogen). The pH scale goes from 0 to 14, with 0 the most acidic, 7 is neutral, and 14 the most alkaline. For example, the pH of stomach acid is 1, wine is 3.5, and water is 7.
When smoke from tobacco has a higher degree of alkalinity, it will produce painful irritation of the tongue, regardless of its temperature. A principal cause of alkaline smoke is a tobacco containing little or no sugar, such as Burley. Soil chemistry where the tobacco was grown can also influence the pH of the leaf. Virginias and other tobaccos with high sugar content generally produce an acidic smoke, which is easier on the mucous membranes and tongue. However, if combustion temperature goes too high, then the hydrocarbons (especially sugars) join with oxygen to form water and turn neutral, thus leaving the alkaline components to predominate in the smoke.
This simply means when this type of tongue bite occurs, it is the result of a chemical reaction; it has nothing to do with heat or the temperature of the smoke. Even if you were to freeze the smoke and make it ice cold, the high alkalinity could still produce a chemical irritation.
Well-known master tobacconist, G. L. Pease, points out these details concerning common tobaccos and their pH and sugar levels:
Burley and Virginias have a similar pH of 5.4 to 5.8 (although Virginias have significantly more sugar in the form of dextrose, about 0.2% for Burleys and approximately 22% for bright Virginia).
Turkish is somewhat more acidic, generally about pH 4.9, while containing only about 12% sugar.
The alkalinity of the water soluble ash from Burley, however, is 2-3 times that of Virginia.
Pease also explains when sugars are burned at higher temperatures, they tend to produce smoke with a higher pH than when burned more slowly. This can cause Virginias to smoke "hot" when puffed furiously, while gentle smoking will liberate the sugars into the water which is produced during combustion of the tobacco. Maintaining a delicate balance between steam generated by the vaporizing water in the tobacco and the water vapor produced as a byproduct of normal combustion is very important to getting a sweet, cool smoke. If the tobacco is too wet, too much steam is generated, diluting the "sweetness" of the smoke, and resulting in caloric heat. If the tobacco is too dry, the smoker may tend to smoke it hot, creating an alkaline smoke from the burning of sugars.
Tobaccos that are flue-cured, such as Virginia tobaccos or those exposed to a high heat soon after the leaf is removed from the plant, will have high sugar content. This is because metabolic processes within the leaf, and microorganisms that live there, are killed by the heat before the sugar is consumed.
Sun-cured or air-cured tobaccos, on the other hand, have low sugar content, because most of the sugar is either metabolized within the leaf itself or consumed by microorganisms between the time when the leaf was removed from the plant and the end of the initial curing process.
In light of this, one would expect Virginias and other heat-cured tobaccos to be gentle on the tongue, and Burley and other slowly-cured tobaccos to be harsh on the tongue. But this is not necessarily the case. When the leaf burns in your pipe, the higher the combustion temperature, the more complete the combustion and the more hydrogen ions combine with oxygen to form neutral water. Put differently, the higher the burn temperature, the more alkaline the smoke, as the acidic hydrogen is used to form neutral water and the alkaline components dominate.
The irony, of course, is that tobaccos rich in sugar tend to burn easily, fast, and hot, while those low in sugar tend to burn slower and cooler. If you smoke a sugar-rich Virginia hot, instead of pleasant acidic smoke, you will experience caustic alkaline smoke that bites with a vengeance. And if you smoke Burley, which is naturally higher alkaline, in a gentle, cool manner, you will be rewarded with an acidic smoke that will comfort your tongue. All of this can be further modified if the blender has applied extra sugar or honey or cased the tobacco with rum, for example. These additives can tilt the balance of the tobacco toward the acidic pH.

Heat, Steam, and Tongue Bite​

All the discussion of alkalinity can seem frustratingly complex. But another culprit in causing tongue bite is readily understood: heat. Obviously, heat can be irritating to sensitive oral membranes. If the temperatures of combustion while smoking a pipe get too high, it is feasible that discomfort or pain could result. This is probably most common during lighting or relighting the pipe. Always trying to burn the tobacco all the way to the very bottom of the bowl can also increase the likelihood of heat related tongue irritation. That's because the smoker may be more prone to draw forcefully on the pipe, which pulls the heat from the match or lighter directly into the mouth. This could result in a heat scald that would definitely "bite" the tongue.
Others suggest that during high temperature combustion of overly moist tobacco, water is vaporized, heated to the temperature of live steam, and then drawn into the mouth. (Live steam is invisible vapor with a temperature of 212 degrees Fahrenheit or higher; it is not "steam" or tiny droplets of water you can see.) Of course, live steam reaching the mouth would liberate an enormous amount of heat when it cools and condenses. If this occurred in contact with the tongue, that area would be scalded. However, it seems very unlikely that any water vapor actually reaches the mouth in the form of live steam, so this theory seems improbable.
What about the problems many report when smoking "wet" or "moist" tobacco? My theory is that since excessively moist tobacco burns poorly, it forces the smoker to keep the combustion temperature higher to keep the pipe lit. These higher temperatures produce more alkaline smoke, which results in chemical burn, as described above.
Another common idea is that the temperature of the smoke itself when it reaches the mouth can cause tongue bite. Based on the results from several studies, this seems very unlikely. These studies have demonstrated that the smoke generally arrives at the mouth with a temperature of 88 to 108 degrees Fahrenheit, which is normal body temperature plus or minus 10 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature doesn't even come close to an average cup of coffee at 140 degrees Fahrenheit and higher, which normally doesn't scald the tongue even at that temperature.

Miscellaneous and Personal Factors​

In addition to the causes discussed above, there is a final category of factors that contribute to tongue bite that are worth mentioning. This category is more difficult to discuss because it involves personal characteristics that vary from individual to individual. But perhaps a general overview will be helpful and alert folks to issues that may warrant personal consideration.
Biological studies have demonstrated great variations in the tasting abilities of individuals. This is due to the number of taste buds the individual has on his tongue. Those with larger numbers of buds are sometimes called "supertasters." Since taste buds are made up of nerves, receptors, pores, and such, this complex network can be more easily irritated in some individuals, especially those with higher taste capabilities. Research also indicates that nicotine has an effect on taste buds as well, which may also contribute to further irritation of the tongue from smoking.
Another factor is that of allergies or allergic reactions. It is a common fact that some folks have adverse reactions or hyper sensitivity to various substances. Sometimes these substances are naturally occurring (such as pollen or pet dander), other times they involve some aspect of processing or manufacturing (such as latex). But if you have an allergy to a substance in a particular tobacco blend, you could find that your tongue and oral tissues are excessively irritated. For example, if someone were allergic to chocolate, smoking a tobacco blend containing chocolate essences for flavoring could set off an allergic reaction.
Aside from actual diagnosed allergies, different people may simply have different tolerances for certain tobacco blends. To use myself as an example, even though I enjoy the taste of various cherry blends, the casing used to flavor these tobaccos gives me extreme tongue bite. So much so, that if I smoke them, my tongue is raw beyond belief for several days. Needless to say, I avoid such blends like the plague (I am not allergic to cherries by the way and can eat them in foods without issue).
Sensitivities and reduced tolerances can also be caused by physical characteristics or can be temporarily brought on by illness or infection. Again, to use myself as an example, I have a condition known as "fissure tongue." This is a benign condition with no cure, but it causes my tongue to be extra sensitive to many types irritation. This has forced me to limit my daily smoking and necessitated learning and diligent application of proper smoking technique. These and other similar factors can certainly cause greater risk of tongue bite that must be considered in your practice of pipe smoking.
Lastly, but certainly not least, is the matter of smoking frequency. This may seem self-evident, but I am continually surprised by how many folks complain of tongue bite after smoking multiple bowls every day. Perhaps the old cliché, "too much of a good thing" applies here. The tongue and oral tissues may develop certain tolerances over time, but they do not develop calluses in the same way as other tissues of the human body. Oral tissues are mucous membranes and have an extremely high vascularity. Except for unusual cases, they will always remain largely susceptible to irritation. Clearly if you are smoking several bowls a day and dealing with tongue bite, it is time to cut back. Reducing the number of bowls each day, or smoking on alternating days (Monday on, Tuesday off, etc.) may be just what the doctor ordered.

Preventing and Treating Tongue Bite​

Well, with all that science and technical data, it can be easy to lose track of the simple issue: Tongue bite is painful, and all pipe smokers want to avoid it. Here are some practical suggestions to help prevent and treat tongue bite.
Acquire proper smoking technique. This is absolutely essential. Improper technique can easily lead to some of the most common forms of tongue bite. For this reason it is vital to learn to take slow, gentle sips instead of long, heavy draws. Don't puff too rapidly, which increases combustion temperature leading to chemical and heat burn. Be careful when lighting or relighting so that you don't draw the flame/heat directly into your mouth. Learn to properly fill your bowl: Packing too tight will cause a difficult draw making you inhale too heavily. Packing too loosely will allow excessive airflow, which may cause the tobacco to burn hot. Learn when and how to tamp to keep your pipe lit without excessive or forceful puffing. I realize these suggestions don't actually tell you "how" to do these things; that information is for another article. But take the time to learn and exercise diligence. You will be greatly rewarded for your effort and patience.
Avoid tobaccos with high alkalinity. Smoke tobaccos rich in sugar. (See the general information above for ideas about which tobaccos contain more natural sugar and those with less alkalinity.) If you enjoy high alkaline tobaccos, try blending them with others to reduce the chemical burn issues. Also, if a particular tobacco irritates your tongue more than others, don't smoke it! With the rich variety of tobaccos available, there's no reason to smoke something that doesn't sit well with you.
Pay attention to the moisture content of your tobacco. If too dry, it is very easy to drive the combustion temperature too high. But if the tobacco is too moist, you will automatically compensate for the difficulty in making moist tobacco burn by puffing more strongly, and this too can easily drive the temperature of combustion too high, and result in very alkaline smoke.
Don't worry about your pipe going out. Some consider it a noble thing to smoke a pipe from start to finish on one or two lights, but that is an unnecessary encumbrance. There is absolutely no shame in relighting. If your pipe starts to go out, let it, and then relight. Nothing promotes a hot, alkaline smoke faster than trying to "rekindle" an ember which is in its death throes. As G. L. Pease said, "Cast thy pride to the winds, and call upon Prometheus whenever needed to enflame thy sweet smoke yet again!"
Don't insist on smoking your pipe all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Relighting at the bottom can cause a scald by drawing the heat from the flame directly into the mouth. Discarding a small amount of unburned tobacco may seem like a crime, but frying your tongue so you can't enjoy smoking at all is much worse.
Enjoy a warm or room temperature beverage with your pipe. Everyone has their own preferences here and some beverages may be enjoyably paired with specific tobacco blends. But a simple glass of water or a cup of coffee or tea are popular options.
Avoid eating or drinking items that tend to exacerbate tongue bite. Again, the specific list of items will vary from person to person due to individual tolerances, unique body chemistry, allergies, etc. As an example, many report problems from salty or spicy foods and carbonated beverages.
After smoking, drink a glass of milk. Some suggest this helps to soothe an irritated tongue.
Use a product such as Biotene mouthwash or Aloe Vera juice to regularly rinse your mouth (not necessarily during the smoke, but as a regular routine of oral hygiene). Many report that these products are highly effective in preventing and treating tongue bite.
Well, as I noted at the beginning, this essay is not the "final word" on tongue bite. There always seems to be new information on the horizon. But hopefully these details and practical suggestions will help you overcome the nasty gremlin that haunts so many pipe smokers. To paraphrase McGruff the Crime Dog, perhaps you will be able to "take a bite out of tongue bite" by understanding some of the causes and responding accordingly.
[Credit Where Credit is Due: Much of the technical information about pH and alkalinity in this article was gleaned from discussion and writing by James Beard and Gregory Pease. The information was retrieved from various online locations, blogs, discussion groups, and magazine articles. Where possible, the information was confirmed and cross-referenced with other technical sources.]

As always, thank you. 🙂👍

On the big OTCs, it's the casing formulae. PA and SWR are cased somewhat similarly, with very light agents used. Velvet and H&H use different ingredients, and can be more cantankerous if you over-puff them ... Velvet in particular.

Anything aromatic, and you add topping agents, which vary dramatically among blenders. Cheaper heavier aromatics are going to use cheaper topping agents. And some of those ingredients can burn very hot and bite hard once overheated.

The novice puffing away on a cheap aromatic like an overworked steam engine is asking for trouble.

Fortunately, SWRA is among the most lightly topped aromatics out there (quality over quantity, IMO), so you really have to go out of your way to make it bite.

Most basic OTC Burleys (Granger, SWR, PA, CH, LLRR) won't bite if overheated. They just lose all flavor and can sometimes go ashy, unfairly earning the "tasteless" complaint among those who don't understand them.

BUT, that's why we have a variety of these classics. If one doesn't work for you, one of the others almost certainly will.

As far as the match blends go, I've seen some comments over the years about occasional bite with some of the sweeter ones. You would need to drill down with Sutliff to see what they are using in their recipes. Sutliff is likely discriminating some of its matches with very light toppings. If a Sutliff match is biting you, try one from Milan or another small shop, who may use less difficult ingredients.

PG is another issue altogether. My last few tubs of LLRR were darn wet with it. But after about a week, it settles down to unnoticeable.

The key habit to form with OTCs is to puff them as slowly and gently as possible. They are wonderful teachers for acquiring that skill, do not punish hard for miscues, and amply reward the successful pupil with a lifetime of pipe pleasure. Master the OTCs, and you can smoke anything.
Now that I think about it, the Velvet and the Middleton stuff I have is both made by Pinkerton or somebody like that (old stuff 20 years or so). That could account for both of them ruining my tongue by whatever casing they used. The Union Leader tub I have is from the same age frame but I don't remember who made it. I forgot about Carter Hall. It bit also, but nowhere near as bad as the others to me.

Never tried any of the Match stuff from P&C. I did have a big tub of the original Sugar Barrel once, but that wasn't up my alley either.

I used to smoke a ton of C&D stuff when Craig Tarler was around. Bob Runowski and I were friends and I actually helped him come up with some of his Burley blends back then. Funny enough, my favorite of that bunch never got manufactured and Old Joe Krantz was about 3rd on the list behind it and Haunted Bookshop, I think. Craig's Burleys never bit me at all. Maybe it's a moisture thing because they were always pretty dry.

Fun times and good memories...I was basically a kid and they enjoyed teaching me the ropes back then.

Velvet stings me too. Also LLRR sometimes. Not that shark bite, but the one that leaves your mouth kind of scorched after you smoked the entire bowl.

Sometimes more, sometimes less… but it’s there.

PA is my lowest bite/mouth irritation OTC.
I still haven't tried the LLRR. I had some of the old Edgeworth RR a long time ago and that was some great stuff.

There was something in an Aylum 13 Friday the 13th that made my mouth go numb...

As to pipe tobacco, most burley based blends kill my tongue and I stay away from them. Which is fine with me, I have enough blends I enjoy.

I still haven't tried the LLRR. I had some of the old Edgeworth RR a long time ago and that was some great stuff.
I like it a lot. But I have to be careful with it.

It’s weird, sometimes it’s a wonderful smoke, sometimes it’s a little irritating.

But it’s not a deal breaker.

I gave up aromatics early on due to severe tongue bite. I find the more pure tobacco oriented the blend, the better they smoke. The only OTC I still smoke is Carter Hall. Mostly Burly and Va. with very little topping.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I gave up aromatics early on due to severe tongue bite. I find the more pure tobacco oriented the blend, the better they smoke. The only OTC I still smoke is Carter Hall. Mostly Burly and Va. with very little topping.
I was deeply into aromatics when I first started, I think many new pipe smokers are.
Remember the first beer you ever had? I do. It was horrible. Now, I can appreciate the differences and fine taste of a Pilsner, an IPA or a Heffeweisen. The palate becomes acclimated and able to detect minute differences.
I think the same holds true of pipe tobacco.
Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with an aromatic, even the more goopy ones can be a nice change of pace if you're not too tobacco snobby.

I was deeply into aromatics when I first started, I think many new pipe smokers are.
Remember the first beer you ever had? I do. It was horrible. Now, I can appreciate the differences and fine taste of a Pilsner, an IPA or a Heffeweisen. The palate becomes acclimated and able to detect minute differences.
I think the same holds true of pipe tobacco.
Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with an aromatic, even the more goopy ones can be a nice change of pace if you're not too tobacco snobby.

I nearly quit pipes before I started due to goopy aros. I couldn't keep them lit and my mouth took days to recover from the burn. I'm convinced it was the PH issue as posted by Micah (Hirsute) earlier in this thread. I must confess to my tobacco snobery, but I blame this Brown Leaf forum. I discovered the heavenly baccys I enjoy today due to the info shared here. Let's face it, its hard not to look down your nose when you're lighting up a pipe. LOL

BTW, not trying to be contrary, but I loved the first beer I ever had. IPA and beer shoudn't be in the same sentence IMHO. LOL

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I nearly quit pipes before I started due to goopy aros. I couldn't keep them lit and my mouth took days to recover from the burn. I'm convinced it was the PH issue as posted by Micah (Hirsute) earlier in this thread. I must confess to my tobacco snobery, but I blame this Brown Leaf forum. I discovered the heavenly baccys I enjoy today due to the info shared here. Let's face it, its hard not to look down your nose when you're lighting up a pipe. LOL

BTW, not trying to be contrary, but I loved the first beer I ever had. IPA and beer shoudn't be in the same sentence IMHO. LOL
I'm with you. It's a rare IPA that I can drink.
I think there is an effort by Craft Beer makers to create the most bitter, vile concoction, and then laugh as hipsters buy it up and say how wonderful it is.

Aromatics are advertised as beginners tobacco and I think this is terribly wrong.

You need some experience to be able to extract flavor from a wet/moist not so flavorful (naturally speaking) leaf. A lot of people end up giving up the pipe at that phase.

An easy test is to return to aromatics after years of pipe smoking. It’s amazing how previous terrible experiences suddenly turn pleasurable due to better technique and refined taste buds.

It’s why beginners in most cases fall in love with English blends. Explosion of flavor and overwhelming notes.

It’s not that easy with a simple OTC burley like granger, SWR, velvet etc…

And sometimes later some can’t stand Latakia heavy blends.

Taste buds change, and usually the more refined they are, more subtle your tobaccos become.

Pipe smoking is a round trip. It’s interesting when you’ve come around full circle.

Top Bottom