What's new

Odd sensation with Virginias

I've been puffing Virginias now for a while: Capstan Blue, Luxury Twist Flake, Newminster 400, with or without some burley. And I like them. But when I smoke a mix that is all or strongly Va, I get an odd . . . sensation in my sinuses. Almost like a faint pressure. I only notice it because I don't get the same reaction with burley blends. Okay, maybe not a pressure, but an . . . awareness . . . that I have sinuses.

Normally I'm not aware of them unless I'm sick. Once I had occasional sinus headaches, but not in 25 years or more. And I don't have allergies, either. It's not an unpleasant sensation by any means, but it is odd. Anybody else notice this? Could there be something in Va leaf that sort of "opens" the sinuses, or maybe something in burley leaf that closes them?

Strange.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I can't say I ever noticed anything, but I wasn't really thinking about it.
I am now though!
I'll have to see if the new awareness makes a difference.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I never noticed that myself either, but nicotine is a vasoconstricter, and seeing how burley usually has more nicotine than Va I can see how the former might affect your sinus.

I never noticed that myself either, but nicotine is a vasoconstricter, and seeing how burley usually has more nicotine than Va I can see how the former might affect your sinus.
Good point. Though, when I puff on a burley, my sinuses and nasal passages feel pretty much the way they do all the time. It's the Virginia that introduces a new note -- or enough of one to notice.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Good point. Though, when I puff on a burley, my sinuses and nasal passages feel pretty much the way they do all the time. It's the Virginia that introduces a new note -- or enough of one to notice.

Maybe you are opposite man ;). Maybe constricted vessels means they shrink, so maybe they would free up the sinus vs clog up in that sense? I dunno lol. Although back in the day they suggested smoking cigarettes for some kind of ailment, might have been asthma?

Some VA blends make my nose run a bit. Usually towards the end of one of my larger pipes. I never really connected it to VAs until I saw this.

Top Bottom