What's new

Plisson brush not as good as the Muhle.

the plisson is different than other synthetic brushes. if you like that or not is up to you. I just hope their handle is stabilized properly. being plisson I would bet it is. the body shop brush for instance the handle will eventually break down. at least mine did. nonetheless wood is probably not as durable as resin.

it is way softer than any badger. you will not get a massage from it. perhaps a tickle. synthetic does not fan out like badger. over time a 21mm badger can seem to look pretty big. of course it is not very dense that way. not only because I am a vegan but I feel this is the future of brushes. things tend to change after 250 years,ya know?

buy the plisson from l'occitane. $55 vs 99 euro from plisson. plus pick up their cade soap. not only is it vegan I find it is very good. also if you want a fusion for some reason theirs is very nice and dirt cheap compared to others. it is odd that store would be selling stuff cheap. I guess it is not odd they partnered with plisson. both French. at least it does not say cade.

buy the plisson from l'occitane. $55 vs 99 euro from plisson. plus pick up their cade soap. not only is it vegan I find it is very good. also if you want a fusion for some reason theirs is very nice and dirt cheap compared to others. it is odd that store would be selling stuff cheap. I guess it is not odd they partnered with plisson. both French. at least it does not say cade.

The more recent Cade brushes have a new logo. They now read "Plisson pour L'Occitane." I assume this was done to differentiate the Cade from the new synthetic models offered directly from Plisson.

$shaving-box.jpg

I am so glad I got the plisson too. without the branding it is like getting a 99 euro product for $55.
I assume plisson feels badger is still their staple product. they must have wanted to capture another segment of the market too. in some ways I feel it has actually surpassed the hmw(softness). I am happy I do not have to feel bad every single time I shave anymore. previously synthetic brushes just did not cut it so I had to live with it.

to the op. give it time. my opinion is the plisson is better than the muhle. although some people feel the muhle is the best brush period. including badger. perhaps they did not get to know the plisson. there is not a lot about it here. probably because they can reach 292 euro for a synthetic brush. it is plisson. I just hope they stabilized the wood for water. I would bet they did being plisson. the body shop brush is garbage in comparison. I only shaved with mine about 20 times but it is good enough for me to feel good about it and gift the badgers. I just figure it comes from synthetic badgers lol.

I was just wondering if anyone that is not a vegan would toss all their badgers in favor of this? I don't like to be alone :001_smile

The Plisson splays out with minimal pressure and holds that splay to thicken up lather. The Muhle wants to collapse to a point and requires more force to splay, then when you move it around to thicken the lather, it wants to collapse again and flop around like a paint brush.

I found just the opposite to be true. The Plisson collapses and does not spread out.

I am so glad I got the plisson too. without the branding it is like getting a 99 euro product for $55.

I just hope they stabilized the wood for water. I would bet they did being plisson. the body shop brush is garbage in comparison.
While the wood-handled Plisson branded synthetics are more expensive (starting at 70 Euros) on Plisson's site, they do have cheaper ones with other handles starting at 52 Euros.

And some guy on the Shave Nook forum who didn't like his Plisson synthetic took the knot out to give to someone who wanted one. He lamented that the handle was cheap, foam-filled, hollow wood. *shrug* I don't know. It feels fine and solid enough to me. It looks and feels like they stabilized it. I'll be careful and dry it off in any case, like with my Semogues. The only thing I worry about is if the Plisson logo will fade off.

Last edited:
I know about YMMV but I cannot see how anyone would replace their Muhle STF brush for the Plisson. IMHO The Plisson is a good brush and it is different but not necessarily better than the Muhle.
I do notice it seems to require more water no matter what soap I am using. It's a nice brush but I will be keeping my Muhle in the #1 spot for some time I am sure.

well that is ymmv. if you look around a lot of people prefer the plisson. the muhle is indeed very good too. it is astounding synthetic can finally give badger a run for it's money. also that the plisson holds water. no idea how they pulled that off. there are micro porous fibers to be had. hollow handle stuffed with foam is not promising. if they do that with hmw I would be really upset. to them I suppose synthetic is their lower end line. hence only coming in #12. the brush at l'occitane is a fair price nonetheless. a muhle that size is more money too. plus wood is usually more money than basic acrylic. whatever works for you though.

The hollow, foam-filled handle thing shocked me when I read it, because the brush has heft and certainly feels solid. But I guess that's one way they kept the price down. They're allowing L'Occitane to sell this below their normal price point and keeping the premium versions to sell themselves.

Anyway, I don't care. I'm just pleased as punch that I actually have a Plisson brush. I never thought I would own one.

Top Bottom