What's new

Plisson brush not as good as the Muhle.

Tonight I used my Plisson brush for the first. My favorite brush so far has been the Muhle STF V2 in a 23mm knot. I was very curious how they would compare. Many gents have said the Plisson is a different experience. Well it was different but I can't say for sure if I like it.
I wet the brush and started loading my MWF soap on it. Right off I noticed that the soap was kind of sticking to the brush in clumps. Then when I took it to the lather bowl and when I press it down into the bowl it does not splay evenly. One section always folded in. I had to work at it to splay evenly.
The lather was okay. I am going to try it with either Arko or VDH the next shave. I'll see what happens. It may just be that I have to adjust my technique.
So far the Muhle is still the best for me.

Last edited:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Color me stupid, Ron, but what does splaying evenly have to do with it's usability?

Last edited:
I feel the muhle 91 k257 is one heck of a brush. I think they could sell it for $250. luckily they don't. I know people also love the synthetic. I never tried it. it would be odd to me synthetic performs better than good badger but I don't doubt it. that just goes to show what I was saying about simpson. on the other hand the plisson hmw is imo the best brush since sliced bread. is yours hmw? I mean a regular plisson is just overpriced as well. the hmw is worth the absurd price imo. none of my brushes splay evenly because I am an ogre and go and mash $500 brushes lol.

edit: it is very possible that synthetic fiber performs differently than animal fur. you may just be noticing the difference. I have not used it so I cannot comment there. in fact I think I am going to get one maybe before the week is over. it is not exactly like they are expensive compared to high end natural brushes. however, it seems they do not make it anymore?

Last edited:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I don't know what Plisson you have, so can't comment directly, but...I have 2 HMW Plissons size 12 & 16, and they are what many here would call somewhat floppy, especially when compared to, say, my Duke3, Chubby2 or any of a number of my others. I don't see any problem with them lathering any of my soaps, from Cella and Mama Bear to to my triple milled hard soaps. That splay you see won't affect how well it lathers; that's all in your technique. Actually, I never press any of my brushes so hard that they exhibit any real noticeable splay. But, then again, you might not like such floppy brushes and the Plisson is just not for you. There's always the BST :001_smile

I wonder if it is a plisson fiber. my understanding is that is not as good as the muhle v2 fiber?

I wanted to try the muhle. the only one the local store has in stock is 25mm. that is too big for me and too expensive for a fiber brush. I could get the plisson but I would like to hear if no one else likes it either. assuming his was in fact fiber.

edit: did quick research and beat you guys to it. gotta love the internet lol. consensus is most people prefer the plisson synthetic to the muhle syenthetic and even to plissons own hmw in some ways. sounds like the plisson should be great. it is plisson after all. people also tend to prefer the black muhle to the stf. which might explain the liking of the plisson. this is all assuming the op has the fiber plisson. this is good news to me because I can just go to l'occitane. of course they will all probably be out of stock like they always are with the cade soap. anyways, just don't push the brush so hard you splay it. bad for brush and problem solved. how is that even a determining factor in the quality of a brush? since you aren't even supposed to do that! I am guilty of it plenty but I just love to abuse things. on that note the muhle silvertip badger has enjoyed untold abuse by me and is absolutely fine. I like both plisson and muhle. my two favorites right there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60oNwWZ-pe8

Last edited:
Nice video. That guy's technique is really good; I would never attempt stroking that quickly, plus he went over several areas without re-lathering. Maybe that's possible when using the Proraso pre-shave but I still wouldn't be that bold.

Sorry folks I did not say that the Plisson I have is synthetic.

$Plisson.jpg

I never use to splay my brushes when making lather but then I read in one thread to make your best lather you have to splay the brush somewhat. I found it to be true.

First time I used my Plisson to face lather I couldn't get it to splay correctly/evenly either. But after a few shaves I figured it out and quite like it. I had a Muhle and ended up selling it. But I'll admit when I had it I probably had far less of an idea how to correctly build lather. So I don't want to draw that comparison. Give it a few more tries, perhaps it'll grow on you too.

okay that explains. the plisson does not have as much backbone as the muhle. whichever you like. most people feel the plisson is vastly superior though. true, it does not have as much backbone but it wins in all the other categories plus many feel too much backbone in a synthetic is a bad thing. I feel either of these two brushes will actually outperform most badger. add to that the plisson actually tends to retain heat! is yours the cade?. if so it really is a bargain since plisson charges 99 euro for it. plus it will give even the hmw a run for it's money. for one thing it is even softer. no scritch to be had. until these two I honestly had to feel bad with every shave because I am a vegan. synthetic has finally arrived. I just hate the color of the plisson. they can color these anything but odd choice imo.

yeah that guy is good in the video. two brushes at once! lucky to find that. I shave fast and go over areas without soap but I am using an asd1 when I do that. I would never try that with the Damascus straight I usually use. the guy said he uses a r41. I wonder if he does that with it too. that would be bold lol.

Can you post some pictures?

What I've found is it needs to have water and soap before it will splay properly. If it's just got soap, it will clump together. Kind of like the Muhle. But it will hold water and heat unlike the Muhle, which is the benefit. And the fibers have more flex to them instead of being floppy.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I also found the Plisson disappointing: floppy, not any backbone, too much loft for the smallish knot. My Muehle STF I use on the road has all this. I also own a Simpson Chubby with synthetic hair, and it a super brush.

I just did a test lather using an Arko puck. I had better luck this time around but I still feel the Muhle STF beats it on overall performance. Like the saying goes, "To each his own." I'll give it more time for me to get use to it. If I don't Love it after a few more shaves, I will sell it.

It's definitely not a brush for folks who need backbone and scrub. I don't know that any synthetic would work for them though.

Where the Plisson shines over the Muhle is that it retains water and heat far better. You can take a wet protolather and thicken it up on the face without changing your shirt.

The other advantage is the splay. The Plisson splays out with minimal pressure and holds that splay to thicken up lather. The Muhle wants to collapse to a point and requires more force to splay, then when you move it around to thicken the lather, it wants to collapse again and flop around like a paint brush.

That's my two cents. I've only had the Muhle in stock 19, 21, and 23mm lofts. I've always wanted to try the 25mm dropped down closer to 50-55mm loft though so maybe at that height it's more effective.

I've wondered about the 25mm Muhle, too. I know one vendor has it in 57mm loft . . . but something tells me it still will still not splay as easily as hoped for. Just the nature of the beast, I guess.

I don't face lather but in my lather bowl I fine the Muhle splays better than the Plisson. I think I can get to like the Plisson after a few more shaves. It certainly is different than my other brushes.

The Muhle 19mm v-2 synth spoiled me.

I don't look for other brushes any more.

Mine arrived, and I am impressed! I'm no stranger to the Muhle/EJ synthetics, so I wasn't surprised. Nice, small brush, the shorter loft gives it a big more stiffness than the 21mm. Soft tips, great for face lathering with sticks.

Top Bottom