What's new

Please recommend a simple, good book or 2 on Norse/Viking mythology

As the title indicates, I would like to learn more about the subject.

My ancestry is Scandinavian, and I'm just getting into learning about the region, customs, and especially history. I think that their mythology is a large part of their history. I find it very interesting.

I love history.

Thanks

Have you picked up a copy of the Eddas yet? There are two texts that are the significant ones: Prose Edda and Poetic Edda. One of these is also referred to as the Younger Edda and the other is the Elder Edda, but I don't remember which is which. These two texts comprise the most comprehensive contemporary versions of the Sagas that I think you might be looking for.

IF you're looking for something on the Runes, I would recommend Paul Rhys Mountfort (highly respected for his academic work on both Runes and Ogam) and I would sty away from Thorsson, because his work is highly controversial and tends toward racism.

Hope that gives you a start!

The Hackett Publishing - (Poetic) Eddas is pretty good. Actually for super accessible - fun - reading, I have heard really good things about Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology. This thread actually inspired me to pick that up.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman is one I've read on and off for a while. It's not an academic book, but the authors retelling of the stories.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Check out "The Norse Myths" by Kevin Crossley Holland. It's approachable but not simple, relatively faithful (from what I understand) but not stodgy. I read it some time ago and just kept going.

Edith Hamilton's classic 1942 Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes (which is still available from AMZ) has a section on the Norse gods. It's short, but it will fill you in on who the gods were and their relationships, and the dark but heroic outlook the Asgardians had on existence.

Another vote for Gaiman's 'Norse Mythology.' The stories are downright strange in some cases, but entertaining nonetheless. He did extensive research into the origins of the myths/stories and also added some of his own twist in certain cases (not indicated where). But it gives a nice flavor for the dominating themes of the myths and one thing I found interesting is that the gods aren't always 'all-powerful' as they have a lot of enemies in the giants, etc.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Here is an interesting book.

5618AF3A-3986-4D10-A85D-38D319401D55.jpeg

Top Bottom