What's new

Please pronounce this iconic outdoorsman's knife ...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1621963698182.png

1621963744316.png

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Well I couldn't find any Youtube vids that said it like I do…..

I’ve always said it - Bo Wee. Like Bo Jackson and Weeeeeee, like that pig in the old GEICO commercials…weee weeeeeeeeeee. Which is the same way I’ve always pronounced David Bowie …am I saying that wrong too!!? ?

But hearing all the YouTube guys they pronounce it Boo wee. Like Boooooo a ghost would say or Booooo that team sucks!! And Wee….the GEICO pig again.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’ve heard both Boh-wee and Boo-wee used while growing up in Texas. Now that I really think about it I guess I’ve used them both when I was a kid I used Boh-wee but now I guess I’d use Boo-wee. Of course I also pronounce pecan Puh-con and vehicle ve-Hick-ul so I may not be the best person to ask.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Bowie is Scottish so it should be pronounced Boo-ee. The w is silent. In the US language it may be different as they can't even spell properly, let alone pronounce words.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
David Robert Jones aka David Bowie (London, England) pronounced his own name Bo - eee, but Jim Bowie (Kentucky, United States) pronounced his own name Boo - eee

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
So "Boo-wie" (rhymes with "Stewie") seems to be the frontrunner.
1622133281576.png

And yet "Boh-wie" (rhymes with "Chloe") is a close second.
1622133410446.png

At distant third, we have "Bow-ie" (Rhymes with "Mr. Plow-ie") bringing up the rear.
1622133581448.png

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Davy Jones and David Bowie. Never seen in the same room at the same time.

View attachment 1273120

View attachment 1273119

David Robert Jones originally took the stage name of Davy Jones, only to be rebuffed by the fame of Davy Jones of The Monkees.
He then, wanting to keep his real last name, went by Tom Jones.
Again he was clipped by Tom Jones of "It's Not Unusual" fame.
There was reportedly harsh words between the two.
He chose David Bowie after Jim Bowie, as portrayed by Richard Widmark in the 1960 John Wayne film The Alamo.
He didn't know about the pronunciation issue, and later in his career stated that he didn't even know how to pronounce his own stage name anymore.
In this theatrical trailer, John Wayne pronounces Bowie as Bo -eee, while the trailer announcer pronounces it as Boo - eee.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
David Robert Jones originally took the stage name of Davy Jones, only to be rebuffed by the fame of Davy Jones of The Monkees.
He then, wanting to keep his real last name, went by Tom Jones.
Again he was clipped by Tom Jones of "It's Not Unusual" fame.
There was reportedly harsh words between the two.
He chose David Bowie after Jim Bowie, as portrayed by Richard Widmark in the 1960 John Wayne film The Alamo.
He didn't know about the pronunciation issue, and later in his career stated that he didn't even know how to pronounce his own stage name anymore.
In this theatrical trailer, John Wayne pronounces Bowie as Bo -eee, while the trailer announcer pronounces it as Boo - eee.

🤔 This turns out to have a lot more depth than you'd think.

The knife is a pure American icon. Our much-loved Ka-Bar might be considered an industrial version, I guess.

The rock star is an actual artist, and even if the Monkees aren't, they were a fun part of the 1960s. 🤦‍♂️ I have been known to crank up a Monkees CD* while cleaning the house.

AA

*🤕 No, I don't own a Partridge Family CD. Gotta draw the line somewhere with nostalgia.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
🤔 This turns out to have a lot more depth than you'd think.

The knife is a pure American icon. Our much-loved Ka-Bar might be considered an industrial version, I guess.

The rock star is an actual artist, and even if the Monkees aren't, they were a fun part of the 1960s. 🤦‍♂️ I have been known to crank up a Monkees CD* while cleaning the house.

AA

*🤕 No, I don't own a Partridge Family CD. Gotta draw the line somewhere with nostalgia.

They may have initially been a fabricated band, but they performed some good songs and weren't so egotistical that they couldn't poke fun at themselves.
They were reportedly on good terms and liked by The Beatles, so if you like The Monkees, you're in good company.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
They may have initially been a fabricated band, but they performed some good songs and weren't so egotistical that they couldn't poke fun at themselves.
They were reportedly on good terms and liked by The Beatles, so if you like The Monkees, you're in good company.

Another interesting read!

The show was such a time capsule, got to look for it. Even in the video above you can pick up on the "not playing the instruments" tricks - cutaway, the goofy concentration etc. Like Batman, they were pure camp. And a bit squeaky clean, weren't they?

🤔 As I recall, the hits CD is a deal - has like all 28 of their good songs.

👌 Ah, if the Monkees found a Bowie knife, they would have turned it in at the police station.

AA

None of the above, although I see what you getting at phonetic spelling should use the least amount of letters. It's: Bow-We

Top Bottom