What's new

Please order this selection of blades from sharpest to least sharp

Got this selection of blades, could you put them in order, sharpest to least sharp.
Thanks
PXL_20230925_202516421.jpg

Lord Platinum
Shark super stainless
Derby Extra
Derby premium
Astra superior stainless
Astra superior platinum
Sharp 7am plus
Personna platinum
Bolzano superior
Feather new hi stainless
Treet platinum
Dorco HQ
Gillette platinum
Gillette perma-sharp
Wilkinson sword

Shave with them. Only you can determine what your face, beard, and technique considers "sharp".

If it was me, I'd buy a sleeve of the Perma-Sharps and bin the rest (well, maybe keep the Platinum Blues).
I will but I don’t have my razor yet, just ordered it Saturday 😂

If you are new to wetshaving, I would strongly suggest starting with the green Astras and leaving the Feathers (sharpest) for last.

Perma-Sharps are also on the sharper side, so save those with the Feathers until you have some practice.

Derby and Dorco blades can be rough, so I wouldn’t use those initially either.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Geez that’s a lot.

Feather
whatever else you want to put here
Shark/Derby

everything in between is just to close to call. IMO there is super sharp - Feather. Then there are blades that are good enough to shave with or they are not. Of those “good enough” blades there is no way to categorize them in order of sharpness. They work, or they don’t. If you want to get scientific get a microscope and look at the edges. Otherwise shaving with them is entirely subjective. What I think is a sharp blade you might think is a completely dull blade.

Of those i would use Feather, Astra, Permasharp, Gillette Platinum. All others wouldn’t be in my regular use blade stash.

This website has done some empirical testing, although it will not be super accurate, it’s a start:

My advice would be to start with something in the middle with a coating, I really enjoy the gillete platinum, and Wilkinson sword.

The modern Dorcos made in Vietnam are far from trash. They are very smooth. These are good beginner blades because they have decent sharpness but they are very smooth. I really like Dorcos.
Dorco Primes are excellent blades and I have used them for years. The rest of the Dorco lineup? Not so much IMO.

Primes are one of my favourites out of over 40 different types of blade I own. And they can be found for $6-7/100.

As others note, only you can really judge the merits of these blades.

I prefer to rate blades based on: sharpness, smoothness and longevity. Feathers, for example, are plenty sharp on the first shave but are only good for 3-4 shaves. Other blades, such as the Astras, are not as sharp on the first shave but they routinely last 7+ shaves for me. In the end, it comes down to what works for you!

The Feathers are considered to be the sharpest blades on the market. They are also some of the most costly blades on the market at roughly 40-cents each, in quantity.

The Perma-Sharps are probably next in line as far as sharpness goes and they are 1/4 the price of the Feathers, at $9.50 per hundred on Amazon. They are also a smooth shaving blade, like the Nacet and last longer than the Feathers.

Most razor blades are sharp. If they weren't, nobody would be buying them. Keep in mind that in today's market, DE razor blades are mostly sold in less affluent economies.

The main thing is to find blades that are sharp enough for your needs. You don't need a super sharp knife to cut butter.

Once you have narrowed your prospects in this regard, it is the quality of the shave that becomes of primary importance.

Top Bottom