What's new

Planning a trip to NYC

My Christmas gift for my Wife this year was a trip to NYC to hit up some amazing restaurants as well as a few immersive theater shows she's looking forward to. Since my new infatuation with wet shaving has developed, I was wondering what shops you recommend checking out for wet shaving gear in Manhattan? We'll be heading there late March so hopefully the weather will be somewhat decent.

Here's my list so far, please feel free to course correct. I'm looking for a shop that might have some hard to find stuff, even maybe some vintage stuff worth seeking out versus online shopping. I checked the Wiki as well as searched B&B and the only thread I found was from 2011. Wanted to see if there were any other shops to check out since 2011 or perhaps might not be on the current Wiki? Thanks in advance!

The NYC List
  • Pasteur Pharmacy and Surgical
  • Cambridge Chemists

FYI you want to go the Pasteur's Pharmacy on E34th St, couple block away from Empire State Building. They have two locations but this one is the best. It isn't open on Sundays though and the other is.

Found this:
NYC BARBERSHOP MUSEUM
290 Columbus Ave
New York City

temp.jpg

Another museum
https://www.nyhistory.org/exhibits/search?words=razor

My Christmas gift for my Wife this year was a trip to NYC to hit up some amazing restaurants as well as a few immersive theater shows she's looking forward to. Since my new infatuation with wet shaving has developed, I was wondering what shops you recommend checking out for wet shaving gear in Manhattan? We'll be heading there late March so hopefully the weather will be somewhat decent.

Here's my list so far, please feel free to course correct. I'm looking for a shop that might have some hard to find stuff, even maybe some vintage stuff worth seeking out versus online shopping. I checked the Wiki as well as searched B&B and the only thread I found was from 2011. Wanted to see if there were any other shops to check out since 2011 or perhaps might not be on the current Wiki? Thanks in advance!

The NYC List
  • Pasteur Pharmacy and Surgical
  • Cambridge Chemists

Great list!! Enjoy your travels!! :a14::a14:

Pasteur is all you need in terms of shaving shops. And the fellas are correct about the 34th street location.

Try to get yo the outer boroughs. That’s where it happens.

Finally made it and met Leon! It was amazing to be able to smell so many different shave soaps and really hone in on what I truly like, versus just guessing on a web page. Of course I picked up a couple of classics, and some new stuff as well. Thanks again, Pasteurs is a true wet shaver's paradise!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Lunch was this amazing taco spot that makes their own masa every morning for their corn tortillas. Just look at that giant spit of Al Pastor slowly roasting in the back ground.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great score indeed. Glad it was a fun and successful trip
What is the soap with the snake?

Finally made it and met Leon! It was amazing to be able to smell so many different shave soaps and really hone in on what I truly like, versus just guessing on a web page. Of course I picked up a couple of classics, and some new stuff as well. Thanks again, Pasteurs is a true wet shaver's paradise!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice pick with the Stirling Haverford. It’s quickly becoming my new favorite. Just be careful. It may stain your brush!

Being from North Jersey, I work a lot in the city. I always make it a point to stop at Pasteur’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Day two in New York and I'm rocking the Tabac cologne like a boss!
proxy.php

Recap of Day One:
  • Lunch at Los Tacos No. 1 (absolutely fantastic and would highly recommend them to anyone)
  • Pasteurs at 34th (Leon's a gentleman, and his selection is legendary, thanks for the recommendation B&B)
  • Dinner at Le CouCou https://lecoucou.com (another fantastic meal, exceptional service, 1 Michelin Star)
  • Evening Entertainment: Sleep No More (immersive Theater, not my cup of tea, but my Wife loves this, and this s is my third time and her sixth time going)
  • Late night meal at Best Pizza in Brooklyn, (owned by one of my NY Pizza idols Frank Pinello Best Pizza Williamsburg

Nice pick with the Stirling Haverford. It’s quickly becoming my new favorite. Just be careful. It may stain your brush!

Being from North Jersey, I work a lot in the city. I always make it a point to stop at Pasteur’s!

Out of all the Stirlings, that I smelled at Pasteur's, the Haverford was my favorite! Thanks for the heads up on the potential staining with the soap, looks like I'll be using a synthetic for this one.

This is my haul from Pastures Pharmacy last week. I was limited to 100 bucks. Wife and daughter picked the A&E soaps after an hour of sniffing. I picked the Pereira Shaving soap and bowl in all ceramic. (I'm a sucker for ceramics). The Pereira says cream but it's a hard puck.All 3 soaps smell fantastic! The A&E NYC you can only get at Pastures. The Pereira has been on my radar for awhile. I got the last set. Leon has more on order. Bull & Bell Bay Rum as well, a Leon recommendation. I cannot speak more highly of Leon. 1st class. They will have their website up for online orders within the next 3 months he is expecting. I wanted some MdC creams but I spent my budget. They have them all. Shipping is priority mail. 2-3 days, 7 bucks. YMMV. Pastures will be my go to for online or call and order. Customer service from Leon was outstanding! Can't wait for April 1st, doing the MMMFM now. Gotta feeling by the scent of SoCal Hipster it will be my Summer go to!
20190323_141847.jpg

Last edited:
Out of all the Stirlings, that I smelled at Pasteur's, the Haverford was my favorite! Thanks for the heads up on the potential staining with the soap, looks like I'll be using a synthetic for this one.

If you like that smell, Home Goods has a candle by Scentsational that smells very similar. I picked one up today.

proxy.php

Top Bottom