What's new

Pipestone (Catlinite) Parade

Don't know that many members will have any carved pipestone (Catinite) pipes, but I thought I'd throw this out here just in case. I have a small, flat pipe made out of pipestone that I picked up and tried to smoke with cigarette tobacco, but it's mostly ornamental for me. My dad also has a larger pipe on display that looks well used, but I don't know the story behind it. Love to see other's pipes or hear about carving pipestone. I'll take a picture of my pipe when I'm back home and post it up here.

$21842500192_4e34854469_z.jpg
$21666348480_b4b82349e3_z.jpg

Always fascinated by Native American carved artifacts. I live in Ohio and the state museum has quite a collection of stone carved objects. Some odd looking things they said were pipes with a bowed base. They were called efigy pipes. Carved in the shape of animals. Never saw any caltlinite objects this far east though. I could be mistaken. Mostly mound builders around here. I could never figure out where the person would put thier mouth to draw in the smoke. I could see where the tobacco went but not where they drew the smoke from. Thanks for the neat pics Sir.

Rick

Here's my pipe, I believe that it represents a Raven or other bird and is more decorative than functional. I'm afraid that it hasn't worn well due to improper storage.

$21762209178_941bf7ff60_z.jpg$21923910426_65f75d241c_z.jpg$21923987946_d84ae0903b_z.jpg

I may try boiling my pipe and reapplying beeswax to it to take care of the finish condition.

Top Bottom