What's new

Pipe Tobacco-- Frog Morton What the Heck's Happening?

I haven't smoked my pipes much in the past few years. This is mostly due to the politically correct climate that has left most pipe smokers shunned into a corner where we are supposed to cower in shame for our habit. Frankly, I have never believed all the PC bunk about pipe smoking. My grandfather lived to a ripe old age, and I am convinced that the only way he was able to stay calm with my perpetually agitated grandmother was the pipe.

Anyway, last week, I picked up a small can of Frog Morton, one of my favorites from a couple of years ago, and what do you think?! I doesn't taste anywhere as good as it used to. The Latakia, if there is much at all, is so weak and inspiring that I was bored after two pipes full. The Froggie used to be a black, chewy Latakia bomb with some intriguing added flavors that I adored. This doesn't look the same and it sure doesn't taste the same, yet the tobacco review website that I go to from time to time doesn't mention the change in the blend. What's going on? Is decent Latakia no longer available? I think I have read somewhere that that may be the case. If so, does anyone know of a blend that is still a good, mellow, tasty Latakia tobacco? I miss the old Frog Morton, and am not happy with this stuff.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Last yeah a warehouse full on Syrian latakia burnt down taking with it a huge portion of the Syrian latakia. I don't know know if Frog Morton ever had Syrian latakia but it has become very hard for blenders go get.

Last yeah a warehouse full on Syrian latakia burnt down taking with it a huge portion of the Syrian latakia. I don't know know if Frog Morton ever had Syrian latakia but it has become very hard for blenders go get.

Frog Morton across the Pond has Syrian. McClelland didn't lose any of their Syrian latakia to the fire. They only make 3 Oaks Syrian and Wilderness (with Syrian) that are two amazing Syrian Lat mixtures.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

Last year? Wasn't that around 8 years ago?

Which Frog Morton did you buy? You sure it's the same one as you use to smoke?

there are 4 blends... http://www.pipeshowonline.net/index.php?pr=McClelland_FrogMorton

I am aware that there are four blends. I am referring to the original blend-- regular Frog Morton. It's the only one that I had gotten around to trying, and I liked it so much, I stuck with it for a year or two. Then I was off smoking for a couple of years, and wanted to go back to my old "tried and true". And the point is that this blend has been changed drastically, and is less than a shadow of it's former great self. And frankly I was really disappointed, and I am wondering if the quality of Latakia we get today is way down from what it once was.

I am going to buy some Margate when I have a chance as I know that that blend too had a lot of good Latakia in it, at one time anyway.

Last edited:
Might be something as simple as your tastes changed on ya.... I hear that can happen to folks after a break from the briar.

Okay, Im new to Pipes (kinda) and I am not familiar with Latika. Aside from what Wikipedia says, can anyone desribe it and what it is like in a blend?

Latakia is a smoked tobacco, that is to say it is cured in the smoke of wood and herbs, and will provide a campfire like aroma and smokey sweetness to a blend.

Ah now I see. Well if one of the curing barns burned down, would that mke for some extra flavored tobacco? Just kidding. Sorry your tried and true is debunked. It happens from time to time. Like Mountain Dew for me. Doesnt taste like it used to...

Top Bottom