What's new

Pipe Stem Help

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Good day y’all, so I saw a pipe (yes, another cob😉) the other day that caught my eye and so I had decided to get it. It arrived yesterday and when I went to do a test draw, there was none. Low and behold, the draft hole wasn’t completed. So I’m looking for an assist really quick, how would I drill a small hole to get a draw?

The reason why I am asking this here, I’ve not ever drilled in acrylic so I’m uncertain if there are any precautions that I should be mindful of (ie, bit speed, lubricant use, etc).

Below are a few pictures of what I sent to SP. They are replacing the pipe and I will have an opportunity to keep this one for now.

94438F77-320B-4FD4-9F1D-53EA4F366312.jpeg

581C5A7D-1ED6-488D-B9E6-810EC4443693.jpeg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Do you have a tap holder? You could put a small bit in a tap holder and drill it by hand.
You don't want to do high speed drilling, as it's soft and will heat up really fast.
Some pipe reamers have a bit with a knob in the back end that would work perfectly.
Slow speed also ensures that you stay on center.
Start the bit in the existing hole and let it be the guide.
Remove the bit to clear plastic frequently to remove shavings and to prevent the plastic from gumming up the bit, and to see when you've broken through.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Do you have a tap holder? You could put a small bit in a tap holder and drill it by hand.
You don't want to do high speed drilling, as it's soft and will heat up really fast.
Some pipe reamers have a bit with a knob in the back end that would work perfectly.
Slow speed also ensures that you stay on center.
Start the bit in the existing hole and let it be the guide.
Remove the bit to clear plastic frequently to remove shavings and to prevent the plastic from gumming up the bit, and to see when you've broken through.

Thank you for this Phil. I can get a tap holder if I already do not have one.

Top Bottom