What's new

Pipe Smokers - Ideal Setup?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Baking notes, water to Flour ratio but putting that ratio into use needs some math sometimes. And writing it out is fun.

Doesn’t relative humidity play into it as well? It always mystified me a bit as my bread recipes never come out right.

Sorry about the massive thread derail Joel.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I would suggest stocking up on more tobacco, way more. Your pipes look fun, but I'd add a few quality pipes of more traditional shapes, but that is just me, I personally find that I smoke the traditional ones more than the "artistic" ones, even though I have a wide variety of shapes and sizes. The B&B LE pipes have always been a stellar value.

Looks like you’re already good to go Joel. Maybe pick up an Old Boy and a tamper that catches your eye.
I don’t own a stand or a rest, and you already have more pipes than I do, so maybe I’m not the best to comment on the best setup. I just keep it simple, even when it comes to cleaning, I might spend 60 seconds cleaning out my pipe, so many of the drawbacks you listed don’t effect me. I find pipe smoking more of a ritual than cigars and that small amount of maintenance is just a small part of that ritual.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I enjoy smoking the occasional pipe, but don't enjoy buying crap I don't need. Smoking is one hobby, smoking related shopping is another (separate and optional) hobby. I only do the first one. My smoking tackle, is therefore quite streamlined but perfectly functional.

Pipes:
Always bought new, and never paid more than £25:
  • Three cobs (Country Gent, Washington, Mizzou)
  • Two Missouri Meerschaum hardwood (one left unused to remind me I already have way too many pipes),
  • a crappy basket baby wellbent briar (sacrificial pipe I won't mourn if it gets lost or broken),
  • a Molina hobby bent (left uncarved)
  • and two decent briars (Dunhill seconds, cherrywood and four square poker, branded Parker London).
Nine pipes in total, but three do most of the work (MM Mizzou, MM Ozark Cherry, Parker Cherrywood)

Lighters:
Matches. Occasionally a regular butane lighter for relights.

Tools and consumables:
I have one Czech tool, but use a woodscrew most of the time. Savinelli 6mm balsa filters, and a bag of cheap pipe cleaners.

Rests:
The box of matches. Almost all my pipes are "sitters", or sit quite stable with the stem just rested on a matchbox or lighter.

No racks, no reamers, no special ashtrays.
No jars, no fancy carrying pouch, no cellar.
No storage issues, no lack of enjoyment, no regrets.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Doesn’t relative humidity play into it as well? It always mystified me a bit as my bread recipes never come out right.

Sorry about the massive thread derail Joel.
I’ve baked bread for more than 40 years and finally came across the no knead method and it was the ultimate. I’ll look through my YouTube subscriptions and see if I can find what I’m referring to and post the link or PM it to you. I eat low carb high fat now so haven eaten a piece of bread or baked a loaf in over a year.
5187312E-BB0C-430D-A512-32F70AE563D5.jpeg

Top Bottom