What's new

Pipe restoration

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Gentlemen, I was lucky enough to acquire some nice estate pipes recently and I'm looking to restore them. None are anything "special" mostly old Kaywoodie pipes so I'm not really afraid of doing more damage. I'm learning a lot from YouTube, but I'm also finding that everyone has their way. Any personal best practices or tips any of you could offer? YouTube is a great resource, but I know there is somebody here with some some gem of advice. Thank you in advance...and since I know I'll be hounded for photos I'll include them as soon as I'm able.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Gentlemen, I was lucky enough to acquire some nice estate pipes recently and I'm looking to restore them. None are anything "special" mostly old Kaywoodie pipes so I'm not really afraid of doing more damage. I'm learning a lot from YouTube, but I'm also finding that everyone has their way. Any personal best practices or tips any of you could offer? YouTube is a great resource, but I know there is somebody here with some some gem of advice. Thank you in advance...and since I know I'll be hounded for photos I'll include them as soon as I'm able.

Some old Kaywoodies are special, and some are rather collectable. So just a caution to be sure of what you have before committing one as a lab rat.

Rebornpipes is a great resource. Your right that everyone has their preferences. Alot depends on how extensive of a restoration as well. A little clean up and buff isn't too difficult. But more extensive repairs can get more complicated and tedious.

brandaves

I'm not trying to sell them, just put them into service as I want to use them!

I intend to soak the stems in OxyClean, perhaps lightly sand away oxidation and then apply obsidian oil to them. Ream the bowls a bit, salt bath with grain alcohol. Nothing to extensive, just enough have then sanitized and smoking again. I'm certain I don't know enough to go beyond that at the moment.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Don’t put those stem in oxiclean if they have metal stingers like most Kaywoodie pipes. The stingers are aluminum and you’re going to seriously oxidize them and turn them black by soaking in oxiclean.

Sounds like you have a good plan layed out 👍. Oxiclean is what I use. It will turn the stingers and bare aluminum black like Hirsute said. But it comes off pretty easy. Much easier than the oxidation sands away hahaha. Be very careful around any logos when removing oxidation. Its super easy to lose them in the process. It takes alot of time and elbow grease but it is worth it 👍

brandaves

Is there any drawback to oxidizing the stinger other than visual? If it turns black but maintains its integrity as a smoker then I'm okay with it...I mean no one is going to see the stinger but me anyway. If however it impacts the smoking I'll find another method. Seems like Oxiclean has worked okay for @Ponycarman. Do any of you think that will effect the smoking?

It isn't permanently black. The surface oxidation comes off pretty easy. It brightens back up with a little scub and polishing. I'm not sure I would leave it black though.

Cheap tooth brushes and little baby bottle cleaning brushes help alot getting some of the more stuck on residue.

Top Bottom