What's new

Pipe collecting...

I am thinking of starting to collect pipes...anything here that looks to be a very good deal. I am not wanting to start off paying top dollar. These pipes caught my eye so I thought I would ask those that know.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
The top 2 are meerschaums, do they have any marking on them to identify the carver? The bottom on is an interesting piece I've never seen one like that before, again any marking or stamps to identify a carver?

That depends. "Pipe collecting" to what end? In order to build a monetarily valuable collection or a collection of pipes that you think are cool, funky, or whatnot? Will you use them or merely display them?

I would Google "pipe collecting", "fine pipes" and whatnot for to begin your search. You might even check out websites like www.pipesandcigars.com, they might have some books.

Are you just hoping to "stumble upon" the pipes that you'll collect or are you willing to invest some money in purchasing them? If the latter, I would recommend www.smokingpipes.com. Twice a week they post new pipes across all prices ranges that they have purchased from estates as well as exceptional new, handmade pipes from noted manufacturers, some of which could be one-of-a-kind or very limited production.

I hope that helps!

Cheers and enjoy!

-Greg

The funky one is Italian made and is going for 10$..The other two are going for 14$ a piece. I think that is high...Is it? My intentions are for display and then ease on in to use...EDIT...OK WOW....maybe these are some good prices....I just have seen so many pipes in my hunt for razors that I find myself drawn to them....These look like a good place to start for now.

Last edited:
The top 2 are meerschaums, do they have any marking on them to identify the carver? The bottom on is an interesting piece I've never seen one like that before, again any marking or stamps to identify a carver?

Ok, lots to learn...

That depends. "Pipe collecting" to what end? In order to build a monetarily valuable collection or a collection of pipes that you think are cool, funky, or whatnot? Will you use them or merely display them?

I would Google "pipe collecting", "fine pipes" and whatnot for to begin your search. You might even check out websites like www.pipesandcigars.com, they might have some books.

Are you just hoping to "stumble upon" the pipes that you'll collect or are you willing to invest some money in purchasing them? If the latter, I would recommend www.smokingpipes.com. Twice a week they post new pipes across all prices ranges that they have purchased from estates as well as exceptional new, handmade pipes from noted manufacturers, some of which could be one-of-a-kind or very limited production.

I hope that helps!

Cheers and enjoy!

-Greg

For now it will be the "stumble upon" method....but who knows.

Thanks for the info...

Commander Quan

If you like them because they are pleasing to the eye, and a price you are willing to pay that's fine. However not all aesthetically pleasing pipes will be good smokers if that is what you intend to move onto.

Check out http://pipedia.org for more information to get yourself started, and we'll see you in the Brotherhood of the Briar

That bottom one looks like it might have a bit of gurgling potential.

I think pipe collecting is best done for personal pleasure, rather than investment potential. Same is true of artwork, unless you deal with the real high end stuff.

If you smoke, you'll accumulate pipes. Buy the ones that might give you pleasure, and splurge on a special one now and then. That'll be all the satisfaction you'll need.

Commander Quan

While I agree with the fact that Smokers Forums is a great site, and I am a member there myself, it's pretty rude to direct someone to go there without even commenting on their original post.

While I agree with the fact that Smokers Forums is a great site, and I am a member there myself, it's pretty rude to direct someone to go there without even commenting on their original post.

Wow, not trying to be rude. Just offering someone valuable info if they were serious about pipe collecting. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Top Bottom