What's new

Pipe Cabinet project

Already got a built in booze cabinet 😜

1600576096559.gif

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Well gents I was able to get in touch with the seller of the cabinet and it was still available...but is no longer! I think it is the perfect size to accommodate my current collection with perhaps a bit of room for growth. At $100 I think this was a steal.
View attachment 1157202
I have a plan for the pipe racks I will be building to accommodate my pipes. I like the ones that hold pipes canted to the side a bit. This provides a really nice view of the pipes without sacrificing too much space to do so. Here is an example of the sort of design I plan to employ.
View attachment 1157203
View attachment 1157204
I may be able to fit three rows of pipes but may be stuck with two. I wont know until I get in there with a tape measure, pencil and paper.

The only other question is where it's gonna go...

Outstanding. You can fit a lot in that one.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Just purchased these lights for the inside of the cabinet. They looked kinda cheap at first but after looking through the reviews and some photos I was swayed. I think they will do a nice job of shedding some light in there.

brandaves

I'm currently doing some proof of concept stuff in my head on my design. I'm thinking of going three tiers on each rack across the entire length of the cabinet. I think I could only accomplish this on two shelves as the top one is a bit shorter. Even with only two shelves done this way I would still have a cabinet capable of holding upward of 90 pipes...this is ambitious and will stretch my wood working abilities. I should have some time to work out a few details this weekend.

I received my drill press yesterday so I now have all the materials I need to get started. I'm just leary of putting the cart before the horse on this one. I want to get it right the first time if I can.

Standby, more to follow.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I'm currently doing some proof of concept stuff in my head on my design. I'm thinking of going three tiers on each rack across the entire length of the cabinet. I think I could only accomplish this on two shelves as the top one is a bit shorter. Even with only two shelves done this way I would still have a cabinet capable of holding upward of 90 pipes...this is ambitious and will stretch my wood working abilities. I should have some time to work out a few details this weekend.

I received my drill press yesterday so I now have all the materials I need to get started. I'm just leary of putting the cart before the horse on this one. I want to get it right the first time if I can.

Standby, more to follow.

Ninety pipes! That's more than a lot of tobacco stores carry.

I'll say it again. You should rent a little store front, and expand your passion.

One tip on the double and triple-decker stands. Don't squeeze them in so tightly that they start knocking over each other when you reach for one. It's a long fall out of a cabinet to the floor. The multi-tier stands are prone to that.

brandaves

Ninety pipes! That's more than a lot of tobacco stores carry.

I'll say it again. You should rent a little store front, and expand your passion.

One tip on the double and triple-decker stands. Don't squeeze them in so tightly that they start knocking over each other when you reach for one. It's a long fall out of a cabinet to the floor. The multi-tier stands are prone to that.
That's a good tip 👌 and I don't have anywhere near 90 pipes...just thinking about the ability to expand in the future. By the time I'm in retirement and pipe smoking is my occupation I may have more then that!

Top Bottom