What's new

Pipe Cabinet project

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
SOLD SOLD SOLD

$100 I would get it for sure. Retro fit it for the pipes. Nice glass to display your pipes up top, plenty of storage for baccy below. It looks like it’s solid wood too. A little wood polish and boom. In business.

$100 is a steal IMO. What are your reservations?

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
SOLD SOLD SOLD

$100 I would get it for sure. Retro fit it for the pipes. Nice glass to display your pipes up top, plenty of storage for baccy below. It looks like it’s solid wood too. A little wood polish and boom. In business.

$100 is a steal IMO. What are your reservations?
I don't guess I have reservations...other then what SWMBO will say. I think it looks nice and will certainly make a nice display of things once finished. I haven't heard back from the seller so I'm not even sure it is still available. If it is then I think I'll buy.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Obviously don’t let anyone here sway your decision. Your SWMBO and your own judgment should come first. Just based on the 1 photo you’ve sent us and for $100, it’s a win in my book. If you can’t get that one it might be worth it to keep browsing until you find something similar. Seems like prices might be too good to pass up. Retro fitting a cabinet would likely be easier than making one from scratch.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
New possibility...I saw this on Craigslist for $100. I may buy this and simply build the racks in it and use the storage below for tobacco. Still a project but cheaper then building the whole thing and its BIG.
View attachment 1156500
Thoughts? I'm still not sure about it really...

This. If you are insane about piping, convert this one. You can even just drop freestanding pipe stands on the shelves. Less work.

Those drawers are great for all the incidentals. Matches, lighters, pipe cleaners, waxes and cleaners, travel pouches, etc., they all have a place in something like that.

If it doesn't have main enclosure lamps, install them. You'll have a great display case.

It's ok to keep the pipes and tobacco in separate places. Pipes warm and dry, tobacco cool and not quite so dry. In some homes, it's actually a good idea to do so.

THese are available on the second hand market in diff widths, prob for the same price point.
If you have an auction house in your area , these will go cheap, most furniture does, so if not this one , check out auctions.. also ease to put lights in the top to shine down,, lol

I used a similar cabinet, an old entertainment center with one side as a display case, for awhile. It didn't make the cut in our basement remodel, not my choice, but my SMFA provided alternatives that are an upgrade.
Good luck with convincing SWMBO. My best advice is to point out how great it will be to have all of your pipe related stuff in one place and not scattered about (even if we all know that is never truly possible).

brandaves

Well gents I was able to get in touch with the seller of the cabinet and it was still available...but is no longer! I think it is the perfect size to accommodate my current collection with perhaps a bit of room for growth. At $100 I think this was a steal.
20200919_151611.jpg

I have a plan for the pipe racks I will be building to accommodate my pipes. I like the ones that hold pipes canted to the side a bit. This provides a really nice view of the pipes without sacrificing too much space to do so. Here is an example of the sort of design I plan to employ.
20200919_154538.jpg

Screenshot_20200919-154512_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I may be able to fit three rows of pipes but may be stuck with two. I wont know until I get in there with a tape measure, pencil and paper.

The only other question is where it's gonna go...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Congratulations! You saved yourself a fair bit of time and money starting with that as a carcass!

One cheap and easy way to rack them in there, might be on angled back boards, with three pegs/hooks per pipe (two for the bowl, one for the stem). So you end up with a "wall" of pipes like this...

IMG_20200919_213236.jpg

... or this...

IMG_20200919_213201.jpg

That way, you can make full use of the available height, plus, when you're taking one of the upper pipes out, you're less likely to clatter the stems of the pipes below, and dislodge them.

They'll be easier to illuminate that way too, should you choose to, as they're not casting shadows on each other. Also, it should be relatively easy to replace or modify them, should you end up with different combinations of pipe shapes and sizes down the line.

I don't know how many you'd get in that way though. You might have to mock it up on the kitchen table of something first.

brandaves

Congratulations! You saved yourself a fair bit of time and money starting with that as a carcass!

One cheap and easy way to rack them in there, might be on angled back boards, with three pegs/hooks per pipe (two for the bowl, one for the stem). So you end up with a "wall" of pipes like this...

View attachment 1157223

... or this...

View attachment 1157225

That way, you can make full use of the available height, plus, when you're taking one of the upper pipes out, you're less likely to clatter the stems of the pipes below, and dislodge them.

They'll be easier to illuminate that way too, should you choose to, as they're not casting shadows on each other. Also, it should be relatively easy to replace or modify them, should you end up with different combinations of pipe shapes and sizes down the line.

I don't know how many you'd get in that way though. You might have to mock it up on the kitchen table of something first.
Thats a good suggestion. I'll think on that one.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Well I picked up the lumber to start laying out the pipe cabinet. It’s gonna be a pain in the butt drilling all the holes for the stems and bowls to rest on so I’m looking around for other ideas.

brandaves

Well I picked up the lumber to start laying out the pipe cabinet. It’s gonna be a pain in the butt drilling all the holes for the stems and bowls to rest on so I’m looking around for other ideas.
I just bought this to help me with just that problem. It's cheap but should get the job done.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I just bought this to help me with just that problem. It's cheap but should get the job done.

88 bucks for a drill press is pretty crazy. My cordless Milwaukee bare tool cost more lol. I have one at the shop so might have to take a trip to work on the day off.

brandaves

I wanted oak for the racks but opted for poplar instead to save some money. I got some dark stain which should cover up the cheaper wood choice. Once done I'm confident it will look nice and the pipes will draw the attention away from any design imperfections. I'm going for an all wood design and using dowels to hold it all together as opposed to screws or any non wood fasteners. I used the same concept in my shave brush shelf which I think looks really nice 👌

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I wanted oak for the racks but opted for poplar instead to save some money. I got some dark stain which should cover up the cheaper wood choice. Once done I'm confident it will look nice and the pipes will draw the attention away from any design imperfections. I'm going for an all wood design and using dowels to hold it all together as opposed to screws or any non wood fasteners. I used the same concept in my shave brush shelf which I think looks really nice 👌

Lol cheap minds think alike. Poplar was almost half the price of Maple, oak, walnut etc. So I went with poplar as well. It darkens naturally as well. Not to mention poplar is a bit softer.

Top Bottom