What's new

Pick one for me: Muhle Rocca R94 vs Tatara Masamune Nodachi CC SS Dark

UPDATE

Insights, reviews and personal crush considered, eventually I pulled the trigger on the Masamune Nodachi dark (stainless steel, closed comb).

I got it a few days ago, and well... this razor is simply BEAUTIFUL and AMAZING. I armed it with a new Bolzano blade and it gave me two effortless, comfortable and deep DFSs thus far (I remind you that I have a fast-growing Mediterranean beard, which is not exactly a field of daisies).

I was surprised by its weight (it is a lot heavier than my previous razors), by the slim design of the head, by its precise cut, and above all by its GENTLENESS and SMOOTHNESS!

Maybe the blade choice was perfect, maybe my practice with the MingShi 2000S (Futur clone) has helped me immensely, maybe the soap (Rasoiogoodfellas Captain II - another new arrival) did its job... But even the Edwin Jagger DE89 wasn't as smooth and as gentle on my skin! During the first strokes I have actually thought: if this is the Nodachi, how effing delicate is the standard Masamune?

The depth of the cut just didn't make sense to me at all: how can a razor be so gentle and so efficient at the same time? As a post-shave treatment I splashed some Denim Black (a kinda alcoholic aftershave lotion) and I couldn't feel anything bad on my face.

Another thing which surprised me was the lenght of the handle, but I have found it to be very ergonomic and grippy. After the second shave I am already used to all these novelties, everything is very intuitive and natural.

So these are my very first impressions. I definitely want to experiment with other blades and soaps, but right now I feel like I have made the right purchase. Thank you for your feedback and for your help! :thumbsup:

UPDATE

Insights, reviews and personal crush considered, eventually I pulled the trigger on the Masamune Nodachi dark (stainless steel, closed comb).

I got it a few days ago, and well... this razor is simply BEAUTIFUL and AMAZING. I armed it with a new Bolzano blade and it gave me two effortless, comfortable and deep DFSs thus far (I remind you that I have a fast-growing Mediterranean beard, which is not exactly a field of daisies).

I was surprised by its weight (it is a lot heavier than my previous razors), by the slim design of the head, by its precise cut, and above all by its GENTLENESS and SMOOTHNESS!

Maybe the blade choice was perfect, maybe my practice with the MingShi 2000S (Futur clone) has helped me immensely, maybe the soap (Rasoiogoodfellas Captain II - another new arrival) did its job... But even the Edwin Jagger DE89 wasn't as smooth and as gentle on my skin! During the first strokes I have actually thought: if this is the Nodachi, how effing delicate is the standard Masamune?

The depth of the cut just didn't make sense to me at all: how can a razor be so gentle and so efficient at the same time? As a post-shave treatment I splashed some Denim Black (a kinda alcoholic aftershave lotion) and I couldn't feel anything bad on my face.

Another thing which surprised me was the lenght of the handle, but I have found it to be very ergonomic and grippy. After the second shave I am already used to all these novelties, everything is very intuitive and natural.

So these are my very first impressions. I definitely want to experiment with other blades and soaps, but right now I feel like I have made the right purchase. Thank you for your feedback and for your help! :thumbsup:
Great choice. I use the Nodachi plates on the Masamune handle and it’s a great performer.

I have both the Tatara SS Nodachi (SB & OC) and the Mühle Rocca R95 V4. Both are very good razors, but are not in my top group of DE razors.

Given a choice between the two, I'd lean toward the Tatara Nodachi SB, but only when used with a thicker diameter Titanium handle like the Timeless Crown TRH8 Ti handle. The stock Tatara handle is too thin for me to grip comfortably. I get great results with the Timeless Ti handle and a Kai blade.
So, despite the unique interface between handle and base plates, a standard handle design (Timeless etc.) will mate acceptably with Nodachi and Masamune base plates?

Have you noticed any caveats (fit wise)? That's good news if true (if no caveats).

... Thom

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So, despite the unique interface between handle and base plates, a standard handle design will mate acceptably with Nodachi and Masamune base plates?

Have you noticed any caveats (fit wise)? That's good news if true (if no caveats).

... Thom
Fatip handles won't work - different size threads. Other than that, no caveats that I have encountered.

I prefer thicker handles and use the Timeless Crown TRH8 Ti, Timeless Spiral TRH6 Ti, Rosseforp GTC 25g, Rosseforp GTS 25g, TiBam Antique Ti, TiBam Radiator Ti and a few other handles in the 14mm diameter range.

Here are some Nodachi pics with various handles:

Rosseforp GTS 25g:
20220806_094106~2.jpg

TiBam Radiator Ti:
20230722_102016~2.jpg

TiBam Antique Ti:
20220529_084704~2.jpg

Hope this helps. :)

Fatip handles won't work - different size threads. Other than that, no caveats that I have encountered.

I prefer thicker handles and use the Timeless Crown TRH8 Ti, Timeless Spiral TRH6 Ti, Rosseforp GTC 25g, Rosseforp GTS 25g, TiBam Antique Ti, TiBam Radiator Ti and a few other handles in the 14mm diameter range.

Here are some Nodachi pics with various handles:

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks! It does.

In another post, I commented on how an M5 threaded handle will work with a 10-32 threaded base plate (Overlander), but the reverse won't work.

It's one of those "dimensional coincidences". An M5 thread is only a couple of thousandths bigger than 10-32, and an M5 nut (handle) will not cross-thread on a 10-32 screw (base plate).

I thought I recalled there being some sort of Tatara-specific mating surface on Tatara base plates - a counterbore or countersink sort of feature.

Whether true or not, it sounds as if it doesn't prevent experimentation.

I was planning on getting a Ti Crown handle based on yours and @spacemonkey42's comments.

... Thom

Top Bottom