What's new

Pick one for me: Muhle Rocca R94 vs Tatara Masamune Nodachi CC SS Dark

• Experienced DE shaver (10+ years)
  • Mediterranean beard
  • 1-2 day shaver
  • No-ATG advocate
  • Upgrading from a loyal Edwin Jagger DE89 (which got broken)
I have decided to pick one of these two razors.
Over a few weeks of careful research I have studied about a dozen razors, I have narrowed them down to two, and at this point no other razor will be taken in consideration. My criteria were: reputation, aesthetics, philosophy, availability, (Black Friday) prices.

I'll probably get both at some point (I like them THAT much), but surely not before a couple of years.

This is why I am very interested to hear from you... Which one do you prefer and why? Which one is less forgiving? Which one can be used faster? Which one is easier to master? Which one is more pleasing to the eye? Which one can be relied upon without having the other in your den?

👉 I would also love to know if the PVD coating of the black Masamune razors gets as easily damaged as the one on Muhle Rocca R96 JET Black 👈

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Hi, I don't have either in black, but I have seen a Jet Black Rocca and thought that's more a dark grey anthrazite. Not really black, so "jet" black as in a dark deep black, not really. I cannot answer there are quality differences in the coating, but this is my warning, these PVD coatings don't look all that good. Particularly not on a matte/satin finish, they only seem to develop a deep color on polished or machined surfaces. Of course, YMMV. Just my thoughts on this.

I have had the Masamune (not Nodachi), and still have the R96 (black handle). The Rocca shaves more efficient and every bit as comfortable as the Masamune. Both look stunning I think, so you can't go wrong in the looks department. Love the handling of the Rocca, feels very much balanced and in control.

View media item 73207

Iridian

Cool and slimy
^ let me add that this is the Rocca with the black aluminum inlay, the Jet Black Rocca has a different, not nearly as dark black.

I have seen a Jet Black Rocca and thought that's more a dark grey anthrazite. Not really black, so "jet" black as in a dark deep black, not really. I cannot answer there are quality differences in the coating, but this is my warning, these PVD coatings don't look all that good. Particularly not on a matte/satin finish, they only seem to develop a deep color on polished or machined surfaces.
^ let me add that this is the Rocca with the black aluminum inlay, the Jet Black Rocca has a different, not nearly as dark black.

Thank you @Iridian I am aware of differences between the Roccas and of the dark satin grey color that this PVD coating produces..

I would have liked the black-handle Rocca (R96 standard), but the plastic cover on the handle was a deal breaker for me. I would have also liked the R96 "Jet Black" but the many negative reviews on the PVD coating forced me to consider just the Rocca R94.

The PVD coating of the Nodachi looks sweet imho. From the pics and videos I like Tatara's dark finishing a lot better than Muhle's.

I have had the Masamune (not Nodachi), and still have the R96 (black handle). The Rocca shaves more efficient and every bit as comfortable as the Masamune.

It is good to have another confirmation that the Rocca provides a comfortable shave despite deep cut. Unfortunately I still can't find any comparison in terms of aggression/comfort with the Nodachi, which belongs to the same league of blade gap / blade exposure / efficiency....

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@cortomaltese I have both, the R94, that's the stainless steel without inlays or coating satin matte version, and the Nodachi with SB and OC. I would rate both plates of the Nodachi to be mid-high end aggressive and both... drumroll... more aggressive and more efficient than the Rocca. Both are very nice, I in general prefer usually aggressive razors, so my preference would go to the Nodachi. And then I would still rather prefer more aggressive razors like the Yaqi Harlequin.

So what it is best for you, I cannot say. Some find the Nodachi SB/OC to be already too aggressive, but I wouldn't say it is actually much more than the Game Changer .84P and OC.

Hope that helps!

Both are very nice, I in general prefer usually aggressive razors, so my preference would go to the Nodachi.
Would you be comfortable with using the Nodachi SB daily or every two days? And can its aggression be toned up or down depending on the type of blade you use?

I have read that the Rocca, for instance, works fine only with mild blades, and it is very nick-prone with sharp blades.

I have had both and recommend the Tatara. In addition to better build quality, it gives a better shave IMHO. I have no experience with the PVD coating though.

Same here…
Agree on all points.

I would like to point out though that PVD coatings tend to be the weak point.
What makes it worse that any scratch stands out against the metallic silver coloured base material below.
My experience with PVD coated black wristwatches taught me to avoid PVD coated black razors.

The Nodachi may be more aggressive than the Rocca, but IMO not too aggressive for daily shaves - even with Feathers, Nacets, Rapiras, Voskhods, BiCs and the like. I am, however, careful that the shaving soaps and creams I use provide good lubrication.

Hope this helps…

B.

The Nodachi may be more aggressive than the Rocca, but IMO not too aggressive for daily shaves - even with Feathers, Nacets, Rapiras, Voskhods, BiCs and the like.
This is great to read, since all those are among my favourite blades.
I am, however, careful that the shaving soaps and creams I use provide good lubrication.
We're on the same page: for me preparation is the essential step to get a good shave. My beard demands a lot of water, a good brush and a no-nonsense shaving cream. Then again I never do the ATG pass, so there's that.

Really, I would have never decided to upgrade to an aggressive razor if I wasn't confident of having an adequate experience and technique... I don't like to take risks :biggrin:

Really, I would have never decided to upgrade to an aggressive razor if I wasn't confident of having an adequate experience and technique... I don't like to take risks :biggrin:

That may be another reason to go for the Tatara.

If you should find that the Nodachi is too aggressive, you can match it with the standard Masamune head or parts thereof.
And if you are so inclined, you could also buy the open comb head for the Nodachi separately.
I have both heads, but found that for me there is no benefit in the open comb, as blade exposure and blade gap are identical and both heads give IMO an equally close and comfortable shave.

B.

Would you be comfortable with using the Nodachi SB daily or every two days? And can its aggression be toned up or down depending on the type of blade you use?

I have read that the Rocca, for instance, works fine only with mild blades, and it is very nick-prone with sharp blades.
I have the Nodachi SB & OC in SS. I have used a number of well regarded blades in it with very good results. I recently tried the new Tatara blade in it with the best results of any razor/blade combination I have. I got the smoothes and most efficient shave I have ever had.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have both the Tatara SS Nodachi (SB & OC) and the Mühle Rocca R95 V4. Both are very good razors, but are not in my top group of DE razors.

Given a choice between the two, I'd lean toward the Tatara Nodachi SB, but only when used with a thicker diameter Titanium handle like the Timeless Crown TRH8 Ti handle. The stock Tatara handle is too thin for me to grip comfortably. I get great results with the Timeless Ti handle and a Kai blade.

If you should find that the Nodachi is too aggressive, you can match it with the standard Masamune head or parts thereof.
I typically avoid brands that try to create expensive ecosystems, but I like this razor so much (and I find Tatara's approach so fascinating) that I can only find convenience in the possibility of tweaking my razor with these interchangeable parts.
I have the Nodachi SB & OC in SS. I have used a number of well regarded blades in it with very good results. I recently tried the new Tatara blade in it with the best results of any razor/blade combination I have. I got the smoothes and most efficient shave I have ever had.
Excellent. Do you have the dark Nodachi or the steel grey one?

And If you had only this razor in you den, do you think you could depend on it? Or would you still need a much milder razor to perform a quick shave?
I have both the Tatara SS Nodachi (SB & OC) and the Mühle Rocca R95 V4. Both are very good razors, but are not in my top group of DE razors.
The girth of the handle is indeed one of the things that make me prefer the Rocca. Thanks for the tips!

Is your Nodachi dark or steel grey? And also, what is your favourite razor in the same price range of the Rocca and the Nodachi ($100-190)?

I typically avoid brands that try to create expensive ecosystems, but I like this razor so much (and I find Tatara's approach so fascinating) that I can only find convenience in the possibility of tweaking my razor with these interchangeable parts.

And If you had only this razor in you den, do you think you could depend on it? Or would you still need a much milder razor to perform a quick shave?

The girth of the handle is indeed one of the things that make me prefer the Rocca. Thanks for the tips!

Is your Nodachi dark or steel grey? And also, what is your favourite razor in the same price range of the Rocca and the Nodachi ($100-190)?
I have the steel grey. If I only had this razor in my den, I would be perfectly happy. This razor is that good.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

My Nodachi is dark.
20220806_093935~2.jpg
20230722_101924~3.jpg

On the lower end of your price range, my pick is the Rex Envoy ($150).

On the upper range, my pick is the Blackland Razors Stainless Blackbird ($200).

I'd check the latest prices on the respective sites. 'Tis the season for sales. :)

Top Bottom