What's new

Phil's pipe restoration trial or "Look, another rabbit hole!"

My last house they put carpet over wood floors. They also put drywall up over gingerbread woodwork and screwed the pocket doors in place open. From when I bought it until now I never understood that.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ok, between RNA Treasures and Vermont Freehand, I was able to order 4 different billiard long shank stummels, some long vulcanite stems, a stem turning tool, and some long nickel bands.
With these parts, I figure I can make the Bing Crosby pipe that I want since no one has them in stock.
More to follow after arrival of parts.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
BA6A96D6-AEBC-40FF-A784-4C612CF3031F.png

Still a bent stem but this years custom Bing stems have been released. Only 125 made

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
My word, that would be a pretty pipe if they did it with a black stem. :lol: Is nothing sacred any more?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My word, that would be a pretty pipe if they did it with a black stem. :lol: Is nothing sacred any more?
Evolve or die. I can see a guy sporting a man bun thinking "My gramps wouldn't smoke one of those, I'll get one!"
Good on them for trying. There's still plenty of reserved, old school styles out there for us codgers!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
So, I mentioned the pipe I got with the World War 1 American Expeditionary Forces carving. That one, and two other pipes I got in a group are completely out of my style.
I thought to myself when I started cleaning them: "Why am I doing this?, I'm not going to smoke them!"
So I decided I will clean these three up and pass them on here.
I'll post some pics up but the three are
A small 8 panel tomato sitter with a horn stem.
A pre-1965 Kiko Elephant logo Meerschaum lined pipe. (I know it's pre-1965 because it says "Made in Tanganyika" and Tanganyika combined with Zanzibar in 1964 to form modern day Tanzania)
The previously mentioned carved World War 1 pipe. I have no idea how old it actually is, but I can't see someone of the modern age having that carved into the pipe. It meant something to someone, so it was at latest during the lifetime of a World War 1 vet.
Pics to follow once I have them looking at least halfway decent. They are very very dirty and in need of a deep clean.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Cleaning up some odds and ends today, one of which is a very tiny "pocket pipe" a real nose warmer at 3 1/4 inches long and 1 1/4 inches tall.
Anyway, as I was cleaning it the grain started to come off the pipe. What is under the "painted on wood grain" is a composite that looks like wet packed cardboard.
I'm assuming that it is Brylon, but it doesn't seem "plastic" if you know what I mean. The pics look like briar, but it absolutely is not.
It also has a brass "port" on the front bottom of the bowl, I presume to draw extra air in, though I have no idea why that would be necessary or helpful.
Any ideas?
20211231_182007.jpg

20211231_181931.jpg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
They call them carburetor pipes. Lets in cool air to help with flavor or something. Various different maker dabbled in it, I think even Dunhill had one. Modern makers like Carey Pipes have a modified carb in the stem.

Top Bottom