What's new

Philips OneBlade Wet or Dry for Trimming?

The manual says use it dry for trimming but why the difference between trimming and shaving without the comb? Using the Oneblade wet for shaving would seem to be the best way to avoid irritation and is recommended.

Hair lengthens/straightens by different amounts when wet. So if you want a straight edge, trim when dry.

That device is designed to "shave" to a certain level and not any closer, IE: leave some stubble. In theory and in my personal experience, wet "shaving" with the philips oneblade would not give a closer shave vs dry and should not reduce irritation vs dry because it's designed to not cut close enough to even give irritation in the first place. If it pinches your skin or Yanks a hair out, that may cause irritation but a wet shave wouldn't have prevented that from happening with this device. I'll have to agree with the above statement that dry edging will give you a cleaner line. As far as actual full beard trim, dry hair will guide into the combs better. Same reason why a barber doesn't wet your hair before running guarded clippers through it.

thanks.

i bought this impulsively a few days ago because I had to lay off shaving for a week or so. A terrible blade ( whose name I shall not mention) carved me up and then my cat decided to leap off my face and leave two nice hind claw scratches in my chin and upper lip. I wanted to keep my facial hair neat and also to trim it down for my next proper shave.

It worked pretty well. I used the 1mm comb and it did just what it I hoped. I anticipate using it maybe once a month, so the high cost of replacement blades shouldn't be an issue. A nice find to round out my shaving kit.

I've been using the OneBlade a lot this year and despite the replacement advice I'm still using the blade I bought it with which means it's approaching 7 months old and I use it maybe two times a week, mostly with a comb and only dry (occasionally with KoS oil if it's clammy). No tugging or pulling yet.

I've been using the OneBlade a lot this year and despite the replacement advice I'm still using the blade I bought it with which means it's approaching 7 months old and I use it maybe two times a week, mostly with a comb and only dry (occasionally with KoS oil if it's clammy). No tugging or pulling yet.

Phillips makes a comment about replacing "when you feel tugging" which leads me to believe that many users may catch their skin during a quick shave and assume the blade is spent when it's a technique issue. How many people here talk about 6+ months with a single mach 3 or fusion cart because when the "wear indicator" on the lube strip shows... They just rip it off or ignore it. Same principal. I almost guarantee that if they removed that green wear indicator feature that most users would report double blade life.

I can't tell you how many times I get a pop up from my printer saying "attention, ink is low and print quality may be impacted! Change ink!" Then I pull up my printer menu and see I still have 25% or more of the ink left. I also then bet 90% of people run to Walmart and buy a new ink cartridge and toss the old one without checking.

I can't tell you how many times I get a pop up from my printer saying "attention, ink is low and print quality may be impacted! Change ink!" Then I pull up my printer menu and see I still have 25% or more of the ink left. I also then bet 90% of people run to Walmart and buy a new ink cartridge and toss the old one without checking.

I believe it is well known that laser printer cartridges can have their life doubled with a simple hack using black tape.

I took advantage of a discount offer and ordered two more replacement blades. That was before i read Rimramman's post. I'll watch out for the green arrow and see how things go. Thanks.

I believe it is well known that laser printer cartridges can have their life doubled with a simple hack using black tape.

I took advantage of a discount offer and ordered two more replacement blades. That was before i read Rimramman's post. I'll watch out for the green arrow and see how things go. Thanks.

This product is one of the most YMMV items I've used so far with reviews to back it up. Some people say the blades last a month, others say they last a year. Personally, I think it's a great tool and a great idea but it's not quite there yet. I would be willing to revist a v2 or v3 of the blades. The blades are designed to last 32 shaves regardless of wet, dry, frequency of shave, etc. Now, at 32 shaves is where the green strip will show fully thus signalling a blade change... Though not necessarily indicating the current blade doesn't work anymore. Will you see a decline in performance? Probably. Is it toast and should be trash? Probably not. Same thing as the Gillette guard carts: First shave or two will give a BBS if you try, after that you are at DFS at best. Most people toss them after one-two shaves, many people ride them out for several months because they only shoot for DFS.

Top Bottom