What's new

Period Space or Period Space Space

Two spaces after a period is a typesetting anachronism. That said, I typically do just that, as it is how I was trained.

The problem with that is the lack of consistency. APA guidelines call for two spaces, while the ACS format I use does with just one. Most journals that I know of call for a single space although to be fair, I deal with science journals rather than liberal arts publications, so I can't speak to them.

Two spaces after a period is a typesetting anachronism.
Typesetting or typewriter/typing anachronism?
Traditional typewriting has monospaced typefaces, which has much more room around a period than typeset proportional text would have.
That being said, it makes me wonder why you'd even want yet another space after a typewritten period. I would expect the convention to be the other way around.

Typesetting or typewriter/typing anachronism?
Traditional typewriting has monospaced typefaces, which has much more room around a period than typeset proportional text would have.
That being said, it makes me wonder why you'd even want yet another space after a typewritten period. I would expect the convention to be the other way around.
I always thought it was typesetting, but it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong!

Hmm I've never heard of two spaces after ending a sentence. To me double spacing has always been space between lines. Though all you double spacers are being reverted to a single space and still easy enough to read.

To me paragraphs that continue past 5 lines clutter things up far worse. The dreaded "WALL OF TEXT".

To me paragraphs that continue past 5 lines clutter things up far worse. The dreaded "WALL OF TEXT".
Those just make me more aware of the white space "rivers".

$text-river1.gif

It occurs to me that right up until the widespread adoption of the IBM PC (and the various clones, thereof), the typewriter repair industry wielded considerable power in the halls of Congress. And any student of US history knows about the great robber barons - Remington, Olympia, Royal, Underwood, etc. - whose fortunes were build on typewriter repair.

Is it truly beyond the realm of possibility that the typewriter repair cartel wanted people to double space after a sentence ending period? This would, after all, increase wear and tear on the space key, leading to an increased need for repairs.

I would speculate that the typewriter repair magnates of the era used their influence in Washington to see to it that the Pentagon would adopt double-spacing as the official military way of typing. Tens of thousands of army clerks learned to type that way, and when most of them left the service, they became the high school typing teachers to the next generation.

After all, the typewriter repair - military - industrial complex is undeniably real, and people placed as high as Pres. Dwight Eisenhower warned of it. Do you think it coincidence that Remington typewriters were the most popular portables for decades, while Remington has long been one of the nation's top manufacturers of rifles and shotguns, and none other than Gen. Leslie Groves - who headed the Manhattan Project responsible for the creation of the first Atomic bomb - served as Chief of Research and Development for the Remington-Rand Corporation?

Also, Remington used to make electric razors, and I think we all know just how evil electric razors are. (Then, in 1979, Victor Kiam bought the division that made electric razors, and started the whole, "I liked the shaver so much, I bought the company," advertising thing.)

Now, maybe you think that while all of this is interesting, it's not technically proof of a vast conspiracy. In which case all I can tell you is, don't be so naive.

Well, that's my explanation for why we got stuck with the requirement to double space.

Also, I'm pretty sure the assassination of JFK ties in, somehow.

Once upon a time, paragraphs were way longer than they are these days. Students were taught that a paragraph should contain an introductory/subject sentence, a minimum of 3 more sentences in support of the thesis in the first sentence, and then a concluding sentence which basically restated what was said in the first sentence.

Paragraphs were huge, hulking things. Much like dinosaurs. And like dinosaurs, they've pretty much gone extinct.

Today's paragraphs have to be short enough that they don't dominate the 5" screen on one's cell phone. Ideally, short enough to fit into a 140 character limit. Which is more like 134 characters when you figure every paragraph needs at least half a dozen emoticons.

It's kind of how old movies include scenes where the point of view doesn't change for minutes at a time. Whereas today the POV needs to jump every 2-3 seconds, in order to keep things exciting. No matter how unnecessary and inappropriate excitement is to the scene.

When I was a senior editor at a legal publishing house, we were directed to use only one space despite what we had been told in school.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
What is this thing called a grammar and why does it even really matter in fact if the spellcheck doesn't pick it up then it must be right you know really who cares because it is the fact that we are trying to communicate is more important than little things like periods or other markings you know what I mean right :thumbup:

Agreed, unless you are telling that to a defense attorney or judge. :)

I have to read the daily uniform crime incident reports of over 150 officers. I think some don't realize of the technological advance called "spell check." Some think punctuation is something you do in a fight.

It can be depressing asking a young officer, "where are your elements of the crime?" And he breaks out his mini periodic table and asks me, where are these elements listed sir? ;)

So I do have to remind myself at times, while these kinds of simple errors can be frustrating and will allow criminals to slip the justice system. These officers are still the type who will run towards trouble while everyone else is running away.

Once upon a time, paragraphs were way longer than they are these days. Students were taught that a paragraph should contain an introductory/subject sentence, a minimum of 3 more sentences in support of the thesis in the first sentence, and then a concluding sentence which basically restated what was said in the first sentence.

Paragraphs were huge, hulking things. Much like dinosaurs. And like dinosaurs, they've pretty much gone extinct.

Today's paragraphs have to be short enough that they don't dominate the 5" screen on one's cell phone. Ideally, short enough to fit into a 140 character limit. Which is more like 134 characters when you figure every paragraph needs at least half a dozen emoticons.

It's kind of how old movies include scenes where the point of view doesn't change for minutes at a time. Whereas today the POV needs to jump every 2-3 seconds, in order to keep things exciting. No matter how unnecessary and inappropriate excitement is to the scene.

So you were expected to write a thesis for each paragraph you wrote regardless of context that was so long that you needed a recap just to get back to the original point of what you started to say? That sounds efficient. :blink:

So you were expected to write a thesis for each paragraph you wrote regardless of context that was so long that you needed a recap just to get back to the original point of what you started to say? That sounds efficient. :blink:

Does this explain why some 19th century writers could spend 2 pages describing a common object?

Yes, the paragraph was the essay in microcosm. Sort of how the atom was a teeny tiny little solar system.

It wasn't about efficiency and context was irrelevant. It was about crafting a paragraph which precisely followed the rules!

Yes, the paragraph was the essay in microcosm. Sort of how the atom was a teeny tiny little solar system.

It wasn't about efficiency and context was irrelevant. It was about crafting a paragraph which precisely followed the rules!

I guess there's a pet peeve of mine. How English is a language that claims to have these set rules, but often will have thousands of exceptions to that "rule". Pronunciation and word structure are big ones.

I wonder if it has to do with the evolution of modern novels, from being written like a journal from a single POV, to a form more like a screenplay with more dialog and such, and the changes between speakers require paragraph breaks just so you can tell who is speaking (without resorting to "Bob said ..." "Ralph replied "...", etc.).

That, or maybe shorter attention spans brought about by TV. :001_rolle

Does this explain why some 19th century writers could spend 2 pages describing a common object?
I've always assumed that was due to the easy availability of narcotic drugs prior to the Harrison Act of 1914.

Or in the case of "In Search of Lost Time" (which I'd grown up knowing as, "Remembrance of Things Past"), I'd figured it was because Proust was French. And, well, French. 'Nuff said.

140 characters and tl;dr summaries don't leave much room for a single space, much less two. :)

But I think two spaces are better for humans, to better aid them in finding the end of sentences when scanning and enabling speedier reading. But it is also clear that too much software, even that which powers this forum (IIRC) is not good at eating the extra space at the end of a line, resulting in the next line starting with a blank space if one types it, so that will kill the double space.

I was taught two spaces after a period and that is my habit. I do notice that in this forum the two spaces are reduced to one.

This thread hasn't even been up for 24 hours and has almost 700 views and three pages of content. And I thought religion and politics where hot button issues. I had no idea there was such "passion" for grammar! Keep it up guys...I am very much enjoying this thread. Plus it is really interesting to see the various members here in jobs that relate to writing in some sort of way!

Why is it that when I type Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch the system always seems to put a space in it?

Gareth

Top Bottom