What's new

Penn 209, what can it do?

I acquired a free Penn 209 with a Ted Williams boat rod. I do not have a boat. I can fish the Tampa Bay area peers, beaches and so on.

Is this outfit going to be useful? The rod is like a pool stick. Advice is welcome. Jody.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm far from being a fisherman, but that's a baitcasting reel. Should be able to use it for about anything. I've heard they cast pretty far, but I like a spinning reel better. I have a Langley baitcaster of Dad's from the 1940s, but I've never been able to thumb the spool good enough to prevent the bird's nest. They are supposed to be able to cast pretty far.

Penn is legendary. The Ted Williams stuff was good also. I'd be happy with it. When you say the rod is like a pool stick do you mean it's a surf rod? Someone with more knowledge than I have should chime in soon.

I've been looking at getting a fly fishing set-up to TRY and learn how to use it out at the pond. There are a few, very few and not real good, trout streams across the river in S.E. Oklahoma. What do I have to learn about fly fishing? Everything.

I am a fisherman but don't do much saltwater fishing since I moved from FL to AZ. You have an excellent reel that primarily is used for deep sea fishing. I had the same reel with a level wind function. Quite honestly, this reel, for me, was not suitable for casting. You may be able to cast with it but for the life of me I could not. Perhaps it was the level wind mechanism that caused my problems. I could use a regular baitcasting reel to cast with it - but could never do it with the 209. Rather, I put bait on a hook and a sinker anywhere from 1 to 6 ounces and free reeled it down to the bottom of the sea or ocean. I used it when I fished for red snapper and grouper.

I don't know what rod you have since there are many varieties of Ted Williams rods. However, if it is as stiff as a pool cue it is a boat road which is meant to be used in the manner I described.

As luck would have it, I lived in St. Petersburg FL and fished both by piers and by boat. I never used the 209 there but did when I went to the Keys and did deep sea fishing. My brother-in-law took out party boats out of Passe-A-Grille and Hubbards Marina and did use that type of reel when fishing there.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this to try and learn to use it during the summer. Dunno if it's good or not. I think I'll tie a small popper on it for the bass at first, after I try casting a fly. If I get a decent sized bass hit it I may have to play it like I do on one of my ultra lights.

https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Water-Fishing-Complete-Starter/dp/B001IAHX6A

I'd like to go out on a boat in the Gulf again. And really, really want to go back to the Caribbean. Wife caught a marlin one time. That was fun. Boat captain started yelling over the boat radio "Muy Grande! Muy Grande!" He said that thing weighed about 500 pounds. There were also some bonefish guys there that fished the flats.

Last edited:
I acquired a free Penn 209 with a Ted Williams boat rod. I do not have a boat. I can fish the Tampa Bay area peers, beaches and so on.

Is this outfit going to be useful? The rod is like a pool stick. Advice is welcome. Jody.
The Penn 209 reel is a legend! They’ve been made for ages and are indestructible. I’ve had one since the early 1980s and used it solely for salt water fishing. You can use it to cast, but I would prefer a spinning reel for that. I used it for fluke, blackfish and bluefish outings on my boat. It’s handled bluefish up to 20 pounds without an issue. The level wind feature and the drag mechanism are flawless. Rinse it down after each outing and clean and grease the gears at the end of the season and it will last forever.

I can’t speak to the rod you have.

The rod has a roller on the tip, and the rod is short.
Would something like this work for the Skyway peer?
I never fished there before, I cannot imaging casting a rod with no flex.
I am in a fix/sell situation - the reel needs a $4 part.
Jody

Yes, it would work fine on the Skyway Pier. I have fished there many times both on the North and South Piers. The depth of the water is such that there is no need to cast out. In fact, I have gotten some of my biggest catches there near the pilings of the bridge. It sounds like the rod you have was meant to be used when trolling from a boat but can be used by letting the weight bring down the bait to the appropriate depth. The current at the piers can be very strong and a heavier sinker may be needed to keep the bait in one place. Therefore, a stiff rod would work fine.

Some advice when you go to the piers. When I fished there the only bait that was sold was shrimp and frozen bait and the cost in comparison to other bait shops was outrageous. I found that using live minnows worked best - but you need a casting net to catch them from the pier. Many of the regulars there are experts and are very helpful. Also, the piers are fairly high off of the water so your rod would be an asset. Just be sure you have plenty of line on the reel. Finally, since you pay an admission to fish on the pier you don't need a saltwater license to fish there.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for all of the replies, I now understand that the rig could be used in my situation. I had my doubts.

I'm far from being a fishermanjo, but that's a baitcasting reel. Should be able to use it for about anything. I've heard they cast pretty far, but I like a spinning reel better. I have a Langley baitcaster of Dad's from the 1940s, but I've never been able to thumb the spool good enough to prevent the bird's nest. They are supposed to be able to cast pretty far.

Penn is legendary. The Ted Williams stuff was good also. I'd be happy with it. When you say the rod is like a pool stick do you mean it's a surf rod? Someone with more knowledge than I have should chime in soon.

I've been looking at getting a fly fishing set-up to TRY and learn how to use it out at the pond. There are a few, very few and not real good, trout streams across the river in S.E. Oklahoma. What do I have to learn about fly fishing? Everything.

Have you tried the Blue River, and Beaver's bend? I always used spin tackle on the rivers. I do not even remember how I used my fly rod, probably for bream.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Have you tried the Blue River, and Beaver's bend? I always used spin tackle on the rivers. I do not even remember how I used my fly rod, probably for bream.

Didn't know about Blue River, it's fairly close. Been going to Beaver's Bend for decades. Been to the Lower Mountain Fork River there. That's about 45 minutes away from me.

Okla. used to stock the Blue River with trout in the winter. I am not sure what they do now, I have not lived in OK for a long time. In the summer, you might be able to catch some bass there, and bream with your fly rod.

I jigged a small roster tail (or similar) from a bridge (early one cool/cold morning) at Beaver's Bend and caught a really, really big fish. I think it was a small mouth, I estimated it in the 4 to 6 lbs range. Fish is good to eat :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Okla. used to stock the Blue River with trout in the winter. I am not sure what they do now, I have not lived in OK for a long time. In the summer, you might be able to catch some bass there, and bream with your fly rod.

I jigged a small roster tail (or similar) from a bridge (early one cool/cold morning) at Beaver's Bend and caught a really, really big fish. I think it was a small mouth, I estimated it in the 4 to 6 lbs range. Fish is good to eat :)

That's a decent sized small mouth. I think the Mountain Fork River is stocked year round, and I saw where the Blue was stocked in the winter.

For use on the skyway peer, what line should I use? The line on the reel is old, but may still be good. However, the line seems better suited for my weed eater than a fishing reel. Perhaps I should try it before I judge the line to be too thick. Thanks.

How heavy is heavy enough for a high-in-the-air pier?
I figure the fish has to be reeled into the air, so it must be fairly strong.

I do not know how big the fish are.
On another peer, I think I have never caught anything over 5 lbs (sting ray).
I have some 15 lbs test, I may spool with that.
Line is cheap, I could buy heavier line.

15# or 20# test should be more than sufficient. I replace my line every year just to be on the safe side.

Thak you everyone for the input.

These days I only replace line when I run too low to cast well. I cut off line that is too weak, which eventually leads to running too low. In this case the line it came with seemed way too thick.

The level wind system on the 209 was removed due to a broken plastic gear. 15 lbs test mono spolled up (heaviest line on hand), and it casts well. I am using an old, somewhat limber spinning rod that was lying around., not the boat rod it came with.

Top Bottom