What's new

Pen options around 200 schmackeroonies

Im savin up for a really nice pen, im capping it at 200 dollars, and by the time I save up for it (My house A/C broke during the heat wave and well that cut into my funds) we will see if I actually go ahead with it or not.

Two pens on my list at the moment are the Pilot CH 912, with #10 14k nib options SM, SFM or Falcon (FA)
$70726f647563742f32303133303332345f6239663931362e6a7067003330300000660066.jpg$70726f647563742f32303133303332345f3635373764322e6a7067003330300000660066.jpg

Or the Sailor Professional Gear with a 21k bi colour nib in M MF or Zoom (Z) nib, unsure of size but i think all of sailr pens outside of the KOP are 5 or 6 in size for what that is really worth

$70726f647563742f32303133303331315f3366313034662e6a7067003330300000660066.jpg$20130311_2f48b4.jpg

Sailor has thrown a monkey wrench into this with their upcoming "Sigma" line in the PG line of pens, and they have a mat black version that looks cool, but unsure of prices just yet on those

So before I go ahead with anything, what else in that range would everyone else have a look at along with these guys, I can tell you now that a M400 series Pelikan has been ruled out, as I want something very different then my M205, and not sure the change from steel to gold nib is going to diversify my collection enough for me at this time

if i'm buying a new pen right now for around that money, i probably would be pulling the trigger on one of those pilot falcons with the Spencerian modification from nibs.com. its a bit more than the 200 (about 250 i think), but i have really been wanting to try one of those out (and if i didn't like it i could probably recoup most of my money selling it off). now if i had 200 to spend on a vintage pen...

if i'm buying a new pen right now for around that money, i probably would be pulling the trigger on one of those pilot falcons with the Spencerian modification from nibs.com. its a bit more than the 200 (about 250 i think), but i have really been wanting to try one of those out (and if i didn't like it i could probably recoup most of my money selling it off). now if i had 200 to spend on a vintage pen...
If i get the FA nib on the 912 I would send to John for that modification, but im not sure I want an FA yet

Speaking as someone who is currently stalking his mailbox, unpatiently waiting for his Visconti Salvador Dali... you can get a Visconti Van Gogh for under $200 off of eBay.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
E-bay patience will get you a Sailor 1911 or Pro Gear with a Naginata Togi nib ... get that one (M/F, imho.) I think you can get them "BIN" for about $240 at Kendo-karate if you are impatient.

E-bay patience will get you a Sailor 1911 or Pro Gear with a Naginata Togi nib ... get that one (M/F, imho.) I think you can get them "BIN" for about $240 at Kendo-karate if you are impatient.

This is exactly what I was about to suggest. The MF N-T nib is really nice, and I got mine in a Pro Gear with Rhodium trim for under $200 shipped (engeika on the bay). I stalked several, though, before I found one that went largely unnoticed. It's one of my grail pens, and I'm really glad to have it. It'll probably end up being the only Sailor I keep.

Regarding the Pilot FA nib, I don't feel it needs the Spencerian mod. It's super flexible. Leigh Reyes (makes a lot of the flex nib youtube videos we all drool over) reckons it's the closest thing to vintage flex that one can get in a modern pen. I agree with her that the feed just can't provide reliable ink flow. You'd likely spend a fortune on that pen if you factor in the cost of getting it to work properly. On the other hand, you may luck out and get one that works well from the factory. I didn't. You can get a Custom 742 with FA nib for under $200 shipped, but if I ever want a Pilot with a flex nib, I'll have someone modify a regular Falcon with SF nib. The FA nib's feed is a total crapshoot.

I'd also urge you to consider a Franklin-Christoph or Edison, James. Maybe an F-C with a broad stub. Mike Masuyama grinds their specialty nibs, and his crisp italics are really nice. I'm sure his stubs are too. The next F-C I buy will have a broad stub for sure.

You could also get a Vanishing Point with an oblique stub or something, too. $200 opens a lot of doors.

-Andy

Last edited:
At the 200 schmackeroony level (US schmackeroonies, not Canadian) I have looked at some used/vintage Montblancs, but have always talked myself down. The Sailors do look tempting, but I'd want to get a piston or vac filler, not a cartridged/cc filler, at that price, and they seem to come higher than that.

I knew that engeika has a good reputation for this sort of thing. Is Kendo=karate also reliable?

Edisons are on the list... it being 2013 with no word an DC lumimg edisons are on hold at the moment lol

And I've been watching the NT nibs they are an option as well, I prefer pro gears flat ends to the bullet ends of the 1911's we will see.

At the 200 schmackeroony level (US schmackeroonies, not Canadian)...

I knew that engeika has a good reputation for this sort of thing. Is Kendo=karate also reliable?

I think in Canada they're called schmackerloonies. I've read that Kendo-karate is a reliable seller. Also, 100% positive feedback, which means a lot. I've only ever bought from engeika, though.

Edisons are on the list... it being 2013 with no word an DC lumimg edisons are on hold at the moment lol

And I've been watching the NT nibs they are an option as well, I prefer pro gears flat ends to the bullet ends of the 1911's we will see.

I prefer the look of the Pro Gear, as well. Just something a little different.

Not to hijack your thread, James, but I just swapped the section from my black PG with M-F N-T nib to my green PG A Mode with fine nib. The A Mode was only ever available with a fine nib, and it's just not my cup o' tea. I like the look of the green pen, but I prefer the N-T nib. I actually really like it with the black section. It was an awful lot of mint green when it had the fine nib and green section. Hopefully, I can find someone who wants a one of a kind PG with a green section! (Secret option B: Have a nibmeister smooth that fine nib and add some flex... the 21k Sailor nibs apparently respond well to that because the tines are so long.)

I've thought about it some more, and the M-F N-T, Pelikan 140 OBB, and the cursive italic on my Taccia Momenta (ground by Letta at Pendemonium) are by far the most interesting nibs I own. Those are listed in order of "ease of use" and "makes my handwriting look a lot better than it really is."

-Andy

$P1090068.jpg

$P1090069.jpg

Last edited:
Kendo is great to deal with, but every BIN seems to be cheaper on Engiekas side, once in auction its anyones game though... I do know i can get a pen from Engieka in 2 days

Top Bottom