What's new

pecking order of post-shave products

At the moment, after I shave i'm using witch hazel or similar, then my ASB, then moisturizer, then cologne.

Now I have some Proraso pre/post shave cream and aftershave splash. I take it the cream is a replacement for my ASB? And would the after shave splash replace the witch hazel stage? I don't want to end up piling 10 different products onto my face, as i'm sure there is only so much your skin can take in.

Being new to this I can only give an opinion based on what I do, and what I find works. Here's my routine when I finish shaving:

• WWR after last pass
  • Proraso Pre / Post
  • CWR
  • Alum block
  • CWR
  • Pat dry with warm towel
  • Splash of aftershave, let dry
  • Apply ASB if desired (this depends what I'm doing after ow what AS I have splashed on)
  • Cologne (again, depending on time of day and what I'm doing / where I'm going.

Hope this helps.

I would think the pre/post and the splash would be redundant. I have the pre/post and the ASB but I never use both...it's either one or the other as an aftershave "protector", and 96 times out of 100 it's the ASB.

Also, the ASB has a light scent that dissipates quickly but I'm not sure about the splash...that might conflict with your cologne if it lingers. I'm sure someone familiar with the splash can answer that.

I don't use moisturizer and while I have a nearly full bottle of Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel, I don't end up using that either. I tried it a few times after my shave and before the ASB but it didn't seem to do anything special. My normal routine now is shave, rinse, ASB, and then cologne if I am going out. I don't think there is anything wrong with your routine but those are a lot of products to keep track of! :)

Here are my thoughts on this subject--

After I am done shaving I use the following pecking order:

1. Cold Water
2. Alum Block
3. ASB - this varies:
-- If I have had a "rough" shave, I use eShave After Shave Cream-- it is the MOST soothing product I have ever used
-- T&H West Indian Lime ASB - Best smell-- smells exactly like the shave cream-- not as soothing as eShave
-- Body Shop ASB - Gel based, almost as soothing as eShave, little to no scent
4. Cologne - depends on what ASB and what mood, choices include Penaligon English Fern, John Varvatos, Nancy Boy Butch

Regards,

Vin

Upon completing the shave...

Warm Water Rinse
Cold Water Rinse
WH or AS Splash
ASB
Cologne

My skin is on the dry side so I usually need a dab o' balm. Hot days I can get away with certain splashes. You just have to figure out what works best for your skin.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your routine but those are a lot of products to keep track of! :)

Yeah I know...people keep recommending various products and I keep wanting to try them, but now I have so many that basically do the same job, I guess it's down to finding which one works best for me.

I think once you find the products you really like, you can whittle it down greatly. I go for the less is more approach. Proraso Pre (sometimes), shave, and aftershave balm. I use witch hazel as a toner only about once a week. I don't even wash my face in the shower since I'm going to be lathering up and dragging a razor across it right afterward anyway. I do wash my T-zone with Savon de Marseille though. Also don't see much of a point of moisturizer, since the AS balm does that anyway? Sometimes I'll throw on some Jason Aloe Vera gel instead of an AS balm if I do something stupid and grind my face up while shaving. Otherwise, that's it and my face has never looked better!

Also once every two weeks or so I try to have an olive oil bath. Make a paste out of olive oil and salt, rub yourself down everywhere; face and hair also, then soak in the tub about 15 mins, then shower as normal with whatever soap or bodywash you use.

Warm water
Cold Water
Alum
Splash
Balm
Cologne/EDT (optional)

I agree that once you find a few products you like, you'll stop experimenting.

For example, I really like Proraso splash, Swiss Pitralon and the Booster Products - so I'm not really in the market for anything else in this department.

I've just discovered handmadeessentials.com and they have a fantastic all natural ASB that, for me, just blows anything away and I'll likely stick with that for a while - I'll use up my other stuff and likley just keep this one around. The other product I really like is the coral skin food - especially in the winter and I'll use that over my balm to seal all the goodness in.

You'll find you go through a lot of products before you find what works for you, but you'll likely settle down with a couple of favourites fairly quickly and then just try other stuff out for a change.

As for your specific questions, about Proraso, yes, the AS splash (which contains witch hazel) can sub for the Thayers - use one or the other. The same is true for the pre-post - in terms of use post shave.

Upon completing the shave...

Warm Water Rinse
Cold Water Rinse
WH or AS Splash
ASB
Cologne

My skin is on the dry side so I usually need a dab o' balm. Hot days I can get away with certain splashes. You just have to figure out what works best for your skin.

+3...this works for me as well!

With summertime upon us, I stick to a very simple routine. Cool water rinse, followed by witch hazel. Then a moisturizer that includes some type of SPF.

Randy

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My a/s routine is highly dependent on the weather. It'ss been quite hot recently, so I don't need much, if any, moisturizing. After the warm water then cold water rinse, I'll use a toner (usually a QED toner or Thayer's WH) followed by a splash (Speick, Proraso, DRH, Musgo, or Aqua Velva). This proccedure leaves my face dry and clean.
In colder months, I'll either follow this routine with a balm, or skip the splash and go directly to a balm (Proraso, Musgo, skin food, etc.)

You'll figure out what feels best.

Since I started this thread, i've cut back a lot on the products I use in general. As I'm no longer going ATG, I have virtually zero irritation after a shave, and feel no need to use ASB at all. After my cold water face rinse, I use some astringent aftershave, then some proraso splash (just because I love the smell/refreshing feeling). Later on I moisturize, but I will now only use a little bit of balm if i've had a particularly rough shave, which is hardly ever.

Top Bottom