What's new

Pasted Paddle

About to recieve a pasted paddle with .25 and .5 diamond spray on pressed hard felt. Using it to touch up my razor that is starting to tug a little. How many laps should I do on each side?

Thanks

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
As many as it takes! I wouldn't even bother testing it until I had hit it with 40 laps or so in the .5 and 20 or 30 on the .25 but that's just me. Experiment. Smaller paddle or less paste or very light pressure would require more laps, and of course the opposite vicey versey. Whatever works best for you.

For best results don't use any pressure at all, just like if you were honing with a stone. Just use the weight of the razor itself. Using more pressure would seem like a logical way to speed things up, but it also reduces the level of sharpness you'll attain, and if you're using 0.5 and 0.25 micron diamond then you are clearly shooting for a very keen razor indeed - you just need to make sure that your technique doesn't let you down.

As for lap counts, that varies tremendously. You'll just have to figure out how many you need.

I'd start with five laps on the 0.5 and give it a try. Repeat until you like the results. Then do 10 on the 0.25 and give it a try. Repeat until you like the results even better. Remember what your total laps were on each. The next time you need to touch up the blade do the incremental touch-up approach again, and if the numbers are similar for both touch-ups then you'll know how much *you* need for a touch-up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom