What's new

Password managers

I have been using dashlane, but there going up to $60.
I am starting with norton password manager to try it out, and if it works , cancel dashlane and get lifelock .
Has anyone used norton password manager for a while and or lifelock, looking for some feedback to gauge my experiance.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have used Keypass before, but just never kept up with using it. It worked well though, and is free.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I haven’t used Norton but have just changed password managers myself.
I was using Lastpass but have always had various issues with it. It stopped working for a day when the site went down recently for example...

I switched to Bit Warden.
It’s free to use on multiple devices but there are extra features for $10 per year.
So far it’s been working fine.

I do not know about Norton or Lifelock. I really don't know much about Dashlane other than to suggest that something like Lastpass would probably satisfy your needs. (Years ago I believe they compared favorably to each other in reviews). Either the free version or $24 version to get cloud storage/backup/sync, though I think the free version also supports manual syncing of password changes between multiple devices.

I have used KeePass for years. I like their multi-platform support but have not really made use of their synchronization features which could be useful to keep entrees in sync across phones and computers. It's user interface is slightly less polished but has a good number of features and is free.

After trying a number of password managers, I settled on Bitwarden. Do yourself a favor and at least try the free version before paying for a pricey alternative. It has great cross platform support and a terrific user interface / browser integration. I also maintain a Keepass database. It was the first password manager I tried. I’ve used it for a long time and can’t give it up.

Can someone explain password manager software? I have a list encrypted with VeraCrypt and a long passphrase to keep passwords secure, but I doubt that's the same thing as a password manager.

A password manager is simply a password encrypted database for storing your passwords. The best password managers are cross platform (available on all your devices all the time with syncing) and include auto fill functionality (fill your username and password automatically on a given webpage). They all do the same thing but it’s the convenience factor and interface that differentiates them.

I've also been using Keepass for several years and have been very pleased with it. Easy to use and you can change the complexity of the generated passwords or alter them easily. As Lightcs1776 stated it's also free.

Can someone explain password manager software? I have a list encrypted with VeraCrypt and a long passphrase to keep passwords secure, but I doubt that's the same thing as a password manager.
Not sure there is a huge difference, one thing I have noticed is keepass and I assume others don't display passwords in plain text so you can find copy and paste passwords without seeing them.

Double clicking on the entry will open up a window that allows editing. There is a rectangle with 3 dots that allows the password to be visible and you can copy and paste.

Another happy user of Keepass, on phones and computers. It's free, open source, and you control where to store the password database (on the cloud or not). fwiw I prefer not to store my password database on the cloud.

Showing my age, I use a large print, 8"x6" telephone address book just for internet sites. I don't have to worry about losing it in a cloud or computer crash. It sits on my desk and it's indexed. Quick and easy. I installed Keypass on the pc almost 2 years ago, but have never used it. Too much work.

After trying a number of password managers, I settled on Bitwarden. Do yourself a favor and at least try the free version before paying for a pricey alternative. It has great cross platform support and a terrific user interface / browser integration. I also maintain a Keepass database. It was the first password manager I tried. I’ve used it for a long time and can’t give it up.

Actually i tried this today and so far i like it.
More intuitive than norton, it works , norton has many issues, for ex when i imported my stuff from dashlane it found 39 entries , when i did the same to bitwarden it found all 139.
I am going thru each one now to make sure it works right, i have some dup sites so it allows me to edit the landing url which then makes that one unique, and i can sync to the other computers logins.
I dont think it works with ie 11 or below, but not a deal breaker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Showing my age, I use a large print, 8"x6" telephone address book just for internet sites. I don't have to worry about losing it in a cloud or computer crash. It sits on my desk and it's indexed. Quick and easy. I installed Keypass on the pc almost 2 years ago, but have never used it. Too much work.
There is more work in getting Keepass et al. set up, but then it is quicker and easier to use everyday. And avoids the temptation to store passwords in the browser. It is especially nice to use a password manger on a smartphone, where entering a 16+ characters of gobbledygook with the onscreen keyboard can be maddening (flipping back and forth between alpha and special character entry screens).

1. Write them down on paper and put them in a digital document.
2. Make them easy to remember. Your address as a child and your phone number. A friend's address. Your rival high school. A dorm in college. Your favorite baseball player. Your favorite group and and/or album.
3. I wish I had a dime for everyone who forgot a password and/or lost their password source.
4. The chances of a password falling to a crack is pretty slim these days if you have a semi-decent password and almost all sites require them. You are more likely to lose it than to have it cracked. The normal way today to lose a password is to get phished or the site's system to get compromised so then the best password is worthless.
5. If I forget my grandmother's old address, there is always Google maps because I know where the house sits. (LathamRd701!2757882)(not her real address)

I use "Diceware." This consists of five dice and a list of words that correspond to rolled numbers. Somewhat easier to remember than random characters.

Speaking of which, I wrote, for my own use, a password generator in Microsoft's free version of Visual Basic, using the encryption package to generate pseduorandom numbers. Prior to that, I modified a pseudorandom algorithm that appeared in Byte. The scary thing there is that I've seen that algorithm in other places, and each one used the exact same seed numbers as in the example. Bad idea, that. Of course, I could have just used dice for this, too. "Diceware" has a method of using dice to generate random characters.

You might ask how I remember them all. The sad truth is I don't. This is where my encrypted list comes in. I also have a password book, but I consider this the weak link and don't like it at all. As another back-up, I have the master passphrase and a password list stored in a secure location in anticipation of my eventual demise.

That said, it's surprising how quickly you can remember a password and phrase by frequent use. OTOH, if you don't use it a lot, you're subject to forget it.

mSecure here for several years now. Cross platform, auto syncing. If one of us changes a password we both have it within minutes. I use its auto-generate feature to create long, complex passwords and copy-paste them into the login. However there are now some login pages that block pasting requiring me to type the whole blasted thing in.

Top Bottom