What's new

Pashana hair tonics review

Hello

I was looking for reviews of Pashana hair tonics and since there is little information, I decided to write a review of the three that I tested out. I tried the Bay Rum, Eau de Portugal, and the Eau de quinine with oils.
1) Smells: BayRum has a clove smell. Pleasant but a bit unusual. EdP smells like orange liquor, it smells like your hair had a drink. This one is my favourite and a good alternative to using perfume every day. The EdQ has a quite artificial smell, and the oils do not help (I think). It fees very oldskool but in a bad way.
None of the smells last very long unless you put a lot of it on your hair but then it becomes overwhelming.
2) appearance: I have regular brown hair but it looks a bit matte. I thought that these products would give me a bit of a shine (especially the quinine version with oil) but none of them have a great effect. Only a bit of a shine when you just applied it but that disappears fast.
3) hair growth: I do not see any difference (but then I still have most of my hair anyway so maybe it just helps in keeping my hair stable)

Should you buy it? Only the Eau de Portugal is worth the money I think. A nice smell, not too overwhelming. The best place to buy (I am based in the UK) is eBay where you can get them for around £7 (postage included).

Great review! I especially appreciate your balanced approach and the comparative merits of these products.

I know this is a couple years old but if anyone does a search at least this will be here for posterity. THE PASHANA "ORIGINAL" HAIR TONIC IS FANTASTIC AND THE BEST OF MANY TONICS FROM ALL DIFFERENT BRANDS THAT I HAVE TRIED. EVERY EVERY EVERY SINGLE TIME I USE IT SOMEBODY COMPLIMENTS ME AND GUSHES about my scent. They often think it is an aftershave or cologne. It ABSOLUTELY DOES give my hair a clean fresh "bright sheen" look, and will continue to refresh itself look and scent for up to at least 4 days when you dab a little more in each morning. It is so good that I go out of my way to order from Modern Man in England (shipping is $5 or free with $70 order or more). The hold is what you want and get from most hair tonics. Nowadays places sell "dry shampoo" sprays but nothing refreshes your head like this stuff. I don't think any of the Pashana tonics are advertised as promoting hair growth and to be honest I wouldn't expect any of the old school tonics we all like to do that. If that's what you need I think you need to spend a but more and get something heavily medicated and do research to find what works best. SCENT: as advertised you absolutely can distinguish the different natural oils and in fact over all it has a REALLY NATURAL kind of smell with bergamot, ylang ylang, and others. There is all so some innocent scent element to it as well maybe a very mild hint of baby oil school kid vibe that I think people like because it removes the "i am the coolest richest most suave egomaniac in the room" implication that many fancy colognes have. This would go GREAT with Tabac products. It is what Tabac would be if you made it with essential oils instead of the raw perfume materials the natural oils profile probably giving it that nice fresh smell. LAST BUT NOT LEAST!: I have also heard great things about their "blue orchid friction lotion" hair tonic which I have just ordered but not tried yet. The reviews I've seen seem to suggest that it has a more or less 4711 Murrier & Wirtz Cologne scent profile. I will post an update once I try it. Last word: many many places in the U.S. in person shops and online carry the Clubman Pinaud Eau De Portugal and Eau De Quinine, other brands also have Bay Rum hair tonics and they are all good if not great. Used them all many times. I will say their scent is no where close to the strength or sweetness if the "Original" Pashana. Cheers. (Btw I'm not a rep for Pashana or Maurer and Wirtz just know what I like and there does seem to be some overlap in those scent profiles though they certainly are not exactly the same.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom