What's new

Parker Variant problems

I've had my Parker Variant for about 18 months now, up until recently I've had no problems in fact it's been my daily razor with all others going in to retirement.

But now I have a problem with the dial, the one way to get a tight grip on the blade is by turning it to '1' anything past that and everything becomes dangerously loose, if I shake it you can hearing the parts rattling. I have cleaned and dismantled everything but still have the same problem. The lowest setting is far too mild for me so the razor has become useless.

I'm aware that there were some QC problems in the past but when you tear this thing apart there's not going on inside and nothing appears broken, very frustrating.

Was thinking of buying another one (Amazon) because even though this is annoying I still think it's a decent razor - I have a Karve OC with a C Plate sitting in my shopping cart on the Karve website but thought I would check to see if anyone has had a similar experience or a fix.

Welcome to B&B.
Sounds like the spring is broken so there is no tension when you adjust up. Unfortunately the base and handle are crimped so it cannot be repaired. Take it up with the vendor or directly with Parker; you should get a replacement for that defect which is very unusual.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Like the others have mentioned, I would contact the manufacturer and let them know what is going on. Something is not right with the razor. Let us know how you get on.

I am so glad I decided not to buy a Variant after all. I just bought a couple more of the dirt cheap Ming Shi 2000s and a Slim and 2 Super Adjustables.

Thanks guys, fired off an email to the retailer where I purchased the Variant (Mens Essentials) according to the Parker website that is the process.

I'll let you know what happens.

Agree with Invicta that it sounds like a problem with the spring; my Variant is a bit newer than yours and the spring is quite robust (keeping everything snugly in-place, including the adjustment setting, which was something I actually found a bit lacking in the Rex Ambassador when I reviewed it). Have to imagine Parker would make that right for you.

I have the exact same issue. Dangerously loose above 2 on the dial. I really loved this razor. I wonder if it was something to do with the water quality here that caused the spring rust or corrode? I think I purchased from Amazon, so not sure what recourse I might have. I purchase in 2017 after they had updated the QC issues with the black handle.

I retired the Variant and moved on to the Karve, couldn't be happier. I enjoyed the Variant while it lasted but alas it is now just a distant memory stashed away in the drawer somewhere probably never to be seen again.

I figured out the problem. At least for me. The bottom plate was stuck in the lower position. It was no longer able to use the spring. It was the water here and the shaving soap I use....I’m guessing. It caused it to almost glue closed. I popped the bottom plate up and cleaned inside....now it’s working as it should be.

This pictures in this thread....the second and third pic show what I’m talking about. Mine was stuck in the compressed position. It was doing the same as yours. Failed to adjust properly. Was loose above 2. Heard parts moving inside.

Here’s the thread with the pictures.

Top Bottom