What's new

Parker Variant. How likely is it to get a defective one

Hi guys, I came to this forum about a year ago with some questions about my first razors, and you helped so much I came back for more answers.

I've gotten so far a Gillette Black beauty, weishi and a futur clone (so far my favorite).

I was thinking of getting something of better quality at a good price and the Parker Variant looks like the perfect candidate. I've had my eyes on the merkur progress but it's over my budget. The thing is that i have read that quality control is a bit low and a few buyers have problems with the paint and the handle and blade alignment. Now I don't mind buying the chrome one to avoid the paint from scraping off, but I'm a bit concerned about the precition of the parts and the fact that I live in Colombia so returning it in case of being defective is too complicated.

So on to the questions, how good are they? Is it very possible to get a defective piece, or one in a million? You can toss in some recommendations, im also considering the Rockwell 6c for about the same cost or any other good quality low cost razor. Thank you guys

The paint issues have been taken care of on the Parker Variants. As far as blade alignment issues, I can't be dogmatic but I think your chances are pretty good for getting one without any issues. I got the satin finish one & it is flawless.

Hi guys, I came to this forum about a year ago with some questions about my first razors, and you helped so much I came back for more answers.

I've gotten so far a Gillette Black beauty, weishi and a futur clone (so far my favorite).

I was thinking of getting something of better quality at a good price and the Parker Variant looks like the perfect candidate. I've had my eyes on the merkur progress but it's over my budget. The thing is that i have read that quality control is a bit low and a few buyers have problems with the paint and the handle and blade alignment. Now I don't mind buying the chrome one to avoid the paint from scraping off, but I'm a bit concerned about the precition of the parts and the fact that I live in Colombia so returning it in case of being defective is too complicated.

So on to the questions, how good are they? Is it very possible to get a defective piece, or one in a million? You can toss in some recommendations, im also considering the Rockwell 6c for about the same cost or any other good quality low cost razor. Thank you guys

I believe the likely hood is very low but if you purchase from a reputable seller you should be fine.

There were two posted in the BST forum recently, both appeared to be defect free at least from my observations of the posted photo's. YMMV

Lately they have been okay. They took them off the market for a short while to take care of the paint problem (and probably to fix any QC issues), but since then they are excellent razors. Parker will stand by them if you have any issues, as those with the paint issues found out.

If you order through a company like Amazon the potential return of a defective razor should be no more complicated than printing a return shipping label and dropping it off at the post office. No cost to you other than time.

I believe i'm getting the variant this week then.

I'll be using Maggard Razors page to buy it because most amazon vendors don't ship to Colombia and if they do the shipping costs are about the same as the razor.

Thank you for the answers guys

I believe i'm getting the variant this week then.

I'll be using Maggard Razors page to buy it because most amazon vendors don't ship to Colombia and if they do the shipping costs are about the same as the razor.

Thank you for the answers guys

That would be a good decision. Mine arrived in perfect condition and it's a great shaver. It's a bit heavy with a long handle, which is definitely my preference.

I bought the first wave black handle razor. It seemed a bit off, nothing dramatic, but just one side felt a bit more aggressive. Then the paint started flecking off the handle and Super Safety offered to replace the whole thing. I did and couldn't be happier. Not only is the handle flake free, but the alignment is spot on without any wiggling.

Top Bottom