What's new

Parker Speaks-Responses from Founder's US Partner

I've been pleased to use both the Parker 99R TTO Butterfly and Parker 24C Open Comb 3-Piece razors. These are solid devices, which give me great shaves every time. Being a customer, my ears always ***** up a bit when Parker is mentioned on the B&B threads. In particular, I was interested in finding out more information on the materials making up the razors and how the various Parker offerings stack up to one another in terms of aggressiveness.

Over the summer, I had the pleasure of meeting Jeff Woda, brother of Howard Woda, who is the U.S. partner of Parker founder Deepak Grover. I wrote to Jeff yesterday with the following questions, and received the following gracious responses from Howard, which I am including in toto with Howard's permission.

My questions:

• Are all Parker razors brass under nickel plating, handle as well as head? If not, which ones are wholly brass and which ones only have a brass handle?
  • I’m looking to pick up another Parker soon, and I’m wondering if the company provides any detailed descriptions of each razor. The information on the company website is next to not helpful. I’m guessing that there are probably only three or four heads on a variety of handles. Is that so? Is there any information about blade gaps for the various heads?
  • Is there any kind of chart that rates the razors in terms of aggressiveness from very mild to very aggressive.

His responses:

"Relative to the questions below, all the Parkers are now chrome plated.. (None are just nickel plated). The handles on all the Parkers (except the horn and resin razors) are all brass.

Relative to aggressiveness, all of our butterfly razors have the same butterfly head. All of our 3 piece razors have the same three pieces head and all of the open combs have the same open comb head.

I believe our Butterfly razors are the least aggressive and our Open Comb and 3 Piece models are slightly more aggressive than the butterflies. Alot of the aggressiveness depends on
1) The angle the razor is held at when shaving
2) The particular blade used.

I believe These two criteria actually make a bigger difference in terms of the aggressiveness than the design of our razors."

Comments:

In contrast to Howard's comments above, I've found the 99R butterfly to be more efficient (aggressive?) than the 24C OC. I've tried a number of different blades with a number of different angles, and I always get to BBS in fewer passes with the 99R than with the 24C. For those of you who've tried both, are you getting the same results? With the eye test, the 24C does have more blade exposure but a minimal blade gap, whereas the 99R has less blade exposure and an appreciably larger blade gap. I believe the 99R is .2 ounces heavier than the 24C. Comments?

So they say the blade you use has more influence on the aggressiveness than the design of the razor itself?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tomorrow I'll use a Derby in my R41 and a Feather in my Tech ... I bet the Tech will become THE BEAST. :thumbup:

They really avoid commenting on the material that goes into the head even though you asked for that.

When it comes to razor designs I have noticed that for an as close shave as possible the blade exposure is more important than the gap.

A bigger gap on the other hand makes the razor less prone to clog. At the same time the razor also becomes more dangerous.

This is why I love open combs. They often have a very tiny gap that would normally be clogged if they were safety bar razors.

Thus with an open comb you get a very efficient razor that is still safe and comfortable.

This is why 99R feels more dangerous than 24C.

Reading between the lines, I'd guess that the answer is pot metal and he knew that that wasn't what the OP wanted to hear...

Yes, I believe The safe assumption is that the head is indeed pot metal. Question: not being a metallurgist, are there benefits to chrome over nickel plating?

Mugwhamp, thanks for sharing your conversation with Jeff Woda, very interesting.

Parker razors have come a long way over the years. My first razor was a Parker 91R which had a fine fit and finish, but was an aggressive razor and not a smart choice on my part as a razor to start with. I was lucky though as many folks who were purhasing razors had big problem with blade alignment and general build quality.

When I eventually picked up a Gillette Slim and Merkur 34, my shaves improved greatly. This past year , I picked up a Parker 24c after having read some excellent reviews. The build quality was excellent and although it was very mild for an OC, it gave excellent shaves.

I recall reading an interview with Howard Woda on Mantic's Shaveology blog where he mentioned that Parker had been working to improve their razors and reduce the large blade gap such as my 91R.

Regarding the material used under the chrome in modern razors, with the exception of razors that are made of 100% stainless steel, they are all made of POT metal or some kind of zinc allow. Many of them are fine razors and will last a number of years, but they will fail at higher rates than the old Gillette, Schick or contemporary stainless razors.

Disappointing that he would evade the questions. Only thing I learned is that they don't want transparency and are no different from companies big or small that would say anything to make a sale. Doesn't mean they're bad. It just means they intend to obfuscate as much as is profitable.

I'll stick to vintage razors unless I get a Parker at a throwaway price.

It caught my eye too when he said "chrome plated".. I'm not surprised that he would intentionally avoid the pot metal answer.

Thanks for asking the questions there, Mugwhamp!

Yes, I believe The safe assumption is that the head is indeed pot metal. Question: not being a metallurgist, are there benefits to chrome over nickel plating?
In reply to my own question, I did some research and found this:

Chromium and nickel are two different elements, so they have somewhat different properties.

Conventional electrolytic nickel plating is decorative, functional, and somewhat corrosion resistant but it tarnishes and it is not as hard as chromium.

Electroless nickel plating (actually autocatalytic nickel plating) is a glassy nickel-phosphorous coating that is very corrosion resistant and quite hard, and often used on rough-service applications like down-hole applications.

Chrome plating may be either a thick layer of chrome (generally known as hard chrome) that offers exceptional hardness, wear-resistance, and oil-holding capability, but limited corrosion resistance; or it may be nickel-chrome (nickel plating followed by a flash of chrome for tarnish resistance and extra corrosion resistance, as is employed on truck bumpers and automotive brightwork).

For interior stuff, where the elements are not too rough on it, the choice between nickel plating vs. nickel & chrome plating can be based on the look of it. Nickel is very slightly yellowish and chrome is very slightly bluish, so nickel is warmer looking and chrome is bling-y-er.

I'm guessing that the Parkers are chrome over nickel plating based on Howard's saying that none of the current razors are just nickel plated.

So, we know the razors are chrome PLATED, but we don't have any indication of what they are actually made of. In the words of SWMBO, that was "unresponsive to the question." As for the aggressiveness of the different Parkers, I say ... wha? Apparently the man doesn't use his own products. The TTOs are the least aggressive? That's a joke. Oh, but then it's mostly angle and blade type anyway, right? Who cares about the razor. And this from a guy who sells razors!!!

Wow, this guy should run for congress.

I still enjoy my Parker A1R travel razor, and love how incredibly efficient it is. My fiancee enjoys her Parker 29L, especially when she loads it with a Gillette Black or Polsilver Super Iridium. I just wish the razors were all brass, period. If they were, I honestly believe they would sell even more razors than they do now.

I've got a 26c and now a 92r head my way. I'm very impressed with the 26c and recommend it as a better alternative than the Merkur 34c or EJde89. The 92r looks futuristic, and I can't wait to get it.

Are Parker TTO known to fail?

Is Zamak even strong enough to be used in this application?

Feather makes it out of brass and steel for very little money. I don't think Parker has any excuse.

Top Bottom