What's new

Paper

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The ampad I just got from Amazon is similar. Except the top ribbon is blue. I did a quick test run and the paper reacted the same way.

I too have been scouting out new options for scratch/note-taking pads. I have been using whatever I have accumulated over time - Mead Management Series, All-State Legal, and ones that are handed out when attending conferences. I also have one notepad of Clairfontaine Triomphe, which is awesome but a bit pricey considering how many notepads I go through. I don't need anything for archival (long-term keeping of notes) since I just ditch pages over time as I follow up on/accomplish tasks and transcribe my scratch notes into a more permanent Castelli bound notebook when necessary.

Here is what I came across as a potential choice for a new (consistent) brand of notepad to try -

Strathmore 500 Series Writing Pad, Lined, 8.5"x11" Glue Bound, 50 Sheets
1615985915854.png

Does anyone have experience with how this paper holds up to use with fountain pens. Looking for paper that does not allow much of any feathering, bleed through, or slow drying of the ink. Being a "south paw" writer I can make a helluva smudgy mess if I am not careful.

Tim

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I too have been scouting out new options for scratch/note-taking pads. I have been using whatever I have accumulated over time - Mead Management Series, All-State Legal, and ones that are handed out when attending conferences. I also have one notepad of Clairfontaine Triomphe, which is awesome but a bit pricey considering how many notepads I go through. I don't need anything for archival (long-term keeping of notes) since I just ditch pages over time as I follow up on/accomplish tasks and transcribe my scratch notes into a more permanent Castelli bound notebook when necessary.

Here is what I came across as a potential choice for a new (consistent) brand of notepad to try -

Strathmore 500 Series Writing Pad, Lined, 8.5"x11" Glue Bound, 50 Sheets
View attachment 1237740

Does anyone have experience with how this paper holds up to use with fountain pens. Looking for paper that does not allow much of any feathering, bleed through, or slow drying of the ink. Being a "south paw" writer I can make a helluva smudgy mess if I am not careful.

Tim
Very interesting. I’ll check this out. Preliminary I see a detailed review quite critical about the cotton fiber as a sponge that absorbs fp ink and a complaint about the woven texture of the paper creating uneven feedback with a nib. I definitely use pads like you do. Very infrequently for permanent diary writing. At $10 per 50 sheets that price jumps out as high but not a deal breaker if it’s indeed high quality. Hopefully others may have experience using this pad. Thanks for posting about it. I definitely hadn’t come across this in my searching/ shopping 😃

That's what makes it a good rule. My other philosophy is "I have more money than time". So I will use the good paper for everything. I'll buy another Metro because I gave mine away. The only house rule is "Don't add more debris".

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
That's what makes it a good rule. My other philosophy is "I have more money than time". So I will use the good paper for everything. I'll buy another Metro because I gave mine away. The only house rule is "Don't add more debris".
Great rules.
I strive for the no added clutter or debris too but that’s a challenge
I’m in the process of using the paper and pads I recently bought on my last splurge and trial.

We scrimped and saved to pay for the kids' college and the last one graduated in 2018. I don't think we ever left that mode. Then we cashed in the house, rented until the market cools which exposed a million $ in assets. Then I have to question my reluctance to buy nice paper or a $12 bag of coffee beans or another fine point Metro especially at 62 years old.

This! Hard to beat Rhodia and Black n’ Red for easy-to-get fountain pen friendly notebooks. Clairfontaine is harder to source locally, but plenty available on the internet. I’ve also had good luck with Apica notebooks from Japan.
thank you for the suggestion. Where to get black and red notebooks!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Staples, Office Depot, Amazon, the GSA catalog, if you work for Uncle Sugar :wink2:.
How did this black and red devil elude me? Just ordered. Like the look of the hard cover book. Fearing I don’t have anything that important to record (just work bs) I opted for the spiral notebooks.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Black and red is an excellent option. However inexplicably the price for two jumped substantially so I didn’t order more yet. Very nice smooth paper especially for fp. I also received write paper company. Fantastic pads. Very high quality paper. I’m using the engineer notebook and pads.

Top Bottom