What's new

Panasonic Thermo Pot NC-EH30P

Months ago we had a discussion here about water kettles for use with tea. I kicked around the idea of using either a thermo pot like the Zojirushi or a kettle and hot plate affair like the Kamjove. I settled on a thermo pot made by Panasonic. After several months of use I am quite pleased with it and it has made my tea sessions more enjoyable.

The model NC-EH30P has some nice features to it. The best one is that it saves money compared to a stove top kettle because it is insulated like a Thermos bottle. It also uses way less electricity to initially heat the water up to temperature to begin with. With the heat retention capabilities it is a no brainer that it is cheaper to operate than bringing a stove top kettle to boil every time I need hot water. (My stove top is electric.)

Other features include four keep warm settings of 208/190/180/140 which can be selected. The water is always boiled first and then allowed to cool to the setting. Adding more water can cause it to reboil, and I can always get a boil by hitting the switch as well. The water is pumped out through an electric dispenser that is easy to operate. I can fill a cup or 6 ounce pot with controlled ease and no splashing.

It also features a charcoal lining of the water chamber which is supposed to improve the tea. I honestly cannot tell the difference, but I haven't put that to any real test yet. And while scale can build up in it like any water heater, there is a cleaning cycle that uses citric acid to take care of that. I haven't had a need to do so yet.

turning on the pot is as simple as plugging it in, which is the only way to do it because there isn't a power switch on it. There is a 6 hour timer cycle that does power off the heating element and automatically starts it up again. I use that for the morning brew, just set it and go to bed. The water is at the desired temp when I wake up. I also use the water fro brewing coffee in a French press or the Aeropress.

For the price of about $75 I can recommend it over the similar Zojirushi line, which has similar features for about $50 more.

And, it make for a nice water supply for shaving. I can fill up a scuttle or the mug that I use for soaking my shaving brush in with ease because the hot water is already there in the morning!

I've though about this type of hot water pot for some time and have one question.

It seems every epicurean set of instructions for making tea or coffee begins with some variation of "always start with freshly drawn water, not reheated." Reheated water is believed to go stale or flat or drive off the oxygen or somesuch.

It looks like this style of pot is meant to keep water hot for some period of time. Is the "fresh water" issue not an issue for these thermo pots?

Roger

It looks like this style of pot is meant to keep water hot for some period of time. Is the "fresh water" issue not an issue for these thermo pots?

I considered that also. To be honest, my taste towards tea has not developed to where I can tell if the water is stale flat or not. I still have to make that comparison for myself, which I'll do at some point in time.

I think that the charcoal lining is the pot is supposed to help with that issue. Also, I don't often fill the thing when I use it. I might fill it halfway, use that water and refill. That helps to keep the water fresh. When doing an extended session with puerh that works quite well because a lot of water is used. I also think that after the initial boil the keep warm temperatures contribute a lot less to water going flat than reboiling it would.

I am using filtered Britta water and loose tea leaves. Available from http://marktwendell.com/ The flavored black teas, Earl Gray and English Breakfast are my favorite. There is a definite taste difference between tap water and filter.

PS If you buy a kettle make sure it has auto shut off, ask me why,

Have a good one

I am using filtered Britta water and loose tea leaves. Available from http://marktwendell.com/ The flavored black teas, Earl Gray and English Breakfast are my favorite. There is a definite taste difference between tap water and filter.

PS If you buy a kettle make sure it has auto shut off, ask me why,

Have a good one

Soooo,
Do you have any thoughts on the type of hot water kettle we're discussing?

Hmmm,
Let me try it this way

Why?
I left my no shut-off kettle unattended and it burned up. Sooo now I need an electric kettle with auto shut off.

I am retired and these are my golden years. Well there really not that golden for health and memory. Otherwise each day is the best day yet. Think positive

I left my no shut-off kettle unattended and it burned up...

Yikes.

I did that with my repurposed coffee roaster (aka a $10 popcorn popper). For me, it was short attention span even more than my faulty memory (hey! what's that burning smell)?

Roger

I've had the 2 liter version of this pot for a couple of weeks now and I like it really well.

I recently opened my own one man office and no longer can go down the hall to a well-stocked office kitchen. It's great to have hot water for tea always ready. I expect it'll also serve to fill my French Press once I get it online here at the office, and if I had a refrigerator I'd keep miso here as well. The four heat settings are nice, but I have only used the hottest two so far.

Those who've read through this thread may remember that I was concerned about 'stale' water from it being kept hot for most of a day at a time. If that does happen, I haven't noticed - so I can't really see a downside to this pot at all. It's tidy, always ready, easy to use and keep clean.

Big thumbs up.

Roger

Here it is, three years later and the thermo kettle is still running like a champ. Use it daily. No problems with the lining peeling off, which seems common with the Zojirushie.

Top Bottom