What's new

Padding in a paddle strop

Legion

Staff member
I'm in the process of tweaking my Paddleroo kangaroo paddle strop design. One of the things I want to try is putting a little padding between the roo leather and the wooden paddle to give it some more "give", for want of a better word.

Do you guys have any suggestions about what material I should use for this? I thought about neoprene wetsuit type material, it has the firmness I'm after, but it is a bit thick. What did they use in the old days? I want to try and get it right without too much experimentation and wasting materials.

mousepad? i bet you could get a cheap and thin one from a variety store pretty easily

you making one for me? :biggrin:

Kapok fibre used to be used a lot - you can still get it today for stuffing toys, etc - its better than the synthetic equivalent stuffings which go very hard if over compacted. Its a nice, natural fibre.

Regards,
Neil

Legion

Staff member
Kapok fibre used to be used a lot - you can still get it today for stuffing toys, etc - its better than the synthetic equivalent stuffings which go very hard if over compacted. Its a nice, natural fibre.

Regards,
Neil

Kapok! That's the stuff which I was trying to remember the name of! Thanks.

I might have a slightly more modern solution. I found a child's wetsuit, in a thrift store for $10, which is thinner material than the wet suits I am used to. I might cut that up and give it a go.

I was actually thinking that the thin cloth stuff they put on the rubber of wet suits and mouse pads feels quite nice and has a good draw. I wonder how that would substitute for the canvas side for stropping. I don't suppose anyone has tried this already?

legion,

1/16 " Sorbothane sheet works very well too as a backing material for paddle strops.

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Top Bottom