What's new

P&G Acquires Bevel

Good for him! So yeah, maybe it's a gimmick but it just made DE shaving a little more well-known. If it continues to take off, maybe it'll do some good for our community at large. Not that we are hurting for great razors, soaps and blades, though.

FYI - I found another article that valued the deal at about $40 million.

Raised $35M from VCs. Sold for $40M.

...and all that talk about how Tristan Walker is the most amazing innovator and gift to us brown folk with troubled shaves.

I'm starting to get tired of the BS these Silicon Valley types put out 24x7.

The Bevel cartridge, coming to a Target near you! :)

Actually, they'll probably bump the price by 50%, then start selling them at AoS stores nationwide.

I too have been curious as to whether this razor is truly different, and would work better for African Americans, than the plethora of razors we discuss here at B&B every day. Do we have any members who owns one and tell us whether there’s anything inherently different about the razor? I will tell you, I looked at the brush at Target and it was a travesty.

Nevertheless, congratulations to the gentleman who designed the razor and found the marketing niche to make it succeed. My understanding is that African Americans struggle with their curly facial hair, and it’s great that the entrepreneur brought a DE shaver to market to get folks interested in a better shave. Will be interesting to see what Gillette does with it.

John Wick (eagerly awaiting the latest installment BTW), I’m African American, and when I saw this advertised and marketed towards AAs, I admit I was a bit curious. Did they finally discover the secret for AAs? That perfect place where razor and cream meet? Unfortunately, no. Personally I found the razor to be a bit on the aggressive side and I could see how it could be a turn off for someone just beginning. I thought it would make a good headshaver but then I stumbled on to the Schick Krona and never looked back. I wanted to believe in their products but was disappointed with their performance. In fact, when I encounter other AAs at the firehouse and learn they use Bevel I’ll introduce and loan them other DE razors (34C, EJDE89) or some other mild razor and they instantly feel the difference.

The owner of Bevel did get one thing right though. He marketed toward a demographic that wasn’t being marketed to. If you ask any AA how they shave, they’ll typically tell you that they shave with clippers. Have you ever seen any recurring AA Youtube wetshaving enthusiasts? Nope. There’s definitely a market there. I myself have been wet shaving for 10+ years but because of the curly and coarse nature of my facial hair I still struggle with the perfect shave, especially on my cheeks. I think the answer might lie with a slant paired with the perfect blade. To be honest I sometimes get discouraged that after all this time my experience still isn’t perfect. But what motivates me is that this is the way AAs shaved long ago. My grandfather used to shave this way and I never remember him having ingrown hairs or razor bumps. Its a lost art among us that I want to help rediscover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I wasn’t aware of P&Gs recent move. I’m interested in which direction they’ll take. I hope they’d begin with simple how-to videos of how to use the stuff. Bevel just sort of sold their products without proper shaving teaching videos. The videos they did share you could tell the shavers were novices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom