What's new

Osage Rub - Mosquito Repellant

Over the weekend, I was going outside and getting chewed up my mosquitos. I didn't have any bug spray, so I went online to see if there were any natural or homemade options to get me by. Several essential oils work, and you can mix them in with castor oil or witch hazel to make a quick repellant. I read that Eucalyptus and menthol are good for repelling mosquitos. Then the light bulb went off, both of those ingredients are in Osage Rub. So I mixed up a quick 50/50 of Osage Rub and Witch Hazel, mainly to dilute it a bit. I put it on my arms, legs, and neck and went back outside.

No mosquito bites!!!

Bonus: It feels great on a hot summer night, it smells good, and it works. So much better than using a chemical spray!

I've heard catnip oil is high on the list of products that repel the blood suckers, I'm not kidding. I just can't find the right ratio to mix up a batch. Good to know about the osage rub, might have to give that one a try as well.

I've heard catnip oil is high on the list of products that repel the blood suckers, I'm not kidding. I just can't find the right ratio to mix up a batch. Good to know about the osage rub, might have to give that one a try as well.

Too many strays in my neighborhood to try this out. It was well documented in the first Brown Leaf monthly discussion about my aversion to cats! :biggrin1:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Garlic works as well - if you recall that Dracula was repelled by garlic hung around the neck, and that the Count was actually the personification (might not be the right term) of a bloodsucker .. just sayin' .. my kids once reported that version in class which resulted in a parental summons .. :)}}}

I'd eat garlic, splash the Osage Rub,

I would have to say there is truth to this. I went camping in June and days that I shaved (Osage rub and Proraso Green) I had NO bugs get near my face.

I just understand WHY now!

I came downstairs wearing Floyd Blue, which I like. We were headed to a picnic. Wife thought I had already put on bug repellent, which she was trying to find. Asked where I found it. She wasnt joking. It did not repel mosquitoes, as I recall. Smell goes away quick, so I can thankfully keep using it. It doesn't smell like bug spray to me, also thankfully.

My first bottle of da Rub, just arrived. :osage:

Over the weekend, I was going outside and getting chewed up my mosquitos. I didn't have any bug spray, so I went online to see if there were any natural or homemade options to get me by. Several essential oils work, and you can mix them in with castor oil or witch hazel to make a quick repellant. I read that Eucalyptus and menthol are good for repelling mosquitos. Then the light bulb went off, both of those ingredients are in Osage Rub. So I mixed up a quick 50/50 of Osage Rub and Witch Hazel, mainly to dilute it a bit. I put it on my arms, legs, and neck and went back outside.

No mosquito bites!!!

Bonus: It feels great on a hot summer night, it smells good, and it works. So much better than using a chemical spray!

Looking for a natural repellent for the young kids. What's the verdict on this? Not that I don't trust KJ. He was absolutely right about Mystic Water Shave Soap and his videos were very helpful. Just want a bigger sample size about his mosquito repellent idea.

I've tried it a few more times without as much success as my first attempt. I am curious is anyone else has tried it.

I mixed mine with thayers to use on my head after I shave it. Did it change colors on you? Mine went to this really weird opaque green. works great as an after shave too with the WH in it.

Top Bottom