What's new

Opinoins on Mama Bear soaps

So I've bought Tabac, Proraso, TOBS Lavender and have a thing of Col. Conk that I got when I ordered an Onyx bowl from WCS - what are the opinoins on Mama Bears soaps?

Any good? Any negatives? Any "must own" scents?

I use a Silvertip badger, if it makes any difference

Last edited:
I've only tried the Bay Rhum, which I was PIFed from someone on here. Excellent lather, rich and smooth, but burned my face. No damage once I rinsed it off but it burned like hell when it was on my face. I guess I must be allergic to one of the ingredients. Strangely, the person who passed it on had the same problem, hence the PIF.

Mama Bear's Soaps do irritate the skin of some. It's due to the fragrance oils generally. So far my favorite scent is the sandalwood vanilla. She does have the option of ordering samples of any scent you want. I think they're $1 each. They're basically little slivers of the soaps and good for 2-3 shaves. Use them quickly though as the scent seems to dissipate much more rapidly than her regular soaps in the tubs. The samples are also a good way to find out what your skin can tolerate.

As far as the lather goes, it's been my experience that it's a different lather than what you may be used to from creams or tallow based soaps. It's still a great lather. I would say it's just not as "creamy" as the lathers I get from creams or tallow soaps.

I find Mama Bear's soaps to be some of the easiest lathering, best scented soaps available. I have used Orange Orange, Dublin Tweed, Aged Spice, Spicey Lime, and Clear Skies. All have produced a slick, moisturizing lather. The Aged Spice, which smells just like the Old Spice I remember as a kid, may be my favorite but initially produced a slight burning and reddening of the face. This went away after a couple of shaves. Unfortunately many of the oils used to produce such wonderful scents may cause an allergic skin reaction with some people.

All-in-all I would say that Mama Bear's soaps are of the highest quality and a "must try" for all wet-shavers. They are not very expensive, and can probably be sold or traded if a particular scent does produce an adverse reaction.

They are my high-end soap for special occasions. YMMV. She has samples on her website that are inexpensive so give them a try.

I love them. They are amongst my favorite glycerin soaps on the planet and I have tried alot! I especially LOVE the Amber Romance, and Grapefruit Ice. The latter is a mentholated citrus joy to lather and makes mounds of thick creamy goo. I was really surprised when I lathered her soap for the first time...I got a sample from someone as a gift and thought the actual soap smelled horrible (was a mixture of around 5 of her soaps all melted into a tub) but the lather was so good that I kept coming back to it and ended up using it all up. I ordered the Masculine Musk, Drakkar, Amber Romance, Grapefruit Ice and Polynesian Red, which I'm looking to trade away as I thought the scent would be less pineappley...it lathers superbly though and if it was the only one of her soaps I had I would keep it& use every last smidgen of it.

Did I say I love Mama Bears Soaps?

my wife enjoys her soaps. personally, i do not. i can get a decent lather, they just don't do much for me personally. they do get a ton of love from shavers, though, so you should at least try them out.

I've had some of her soaps and although I'm a cream person, these are the only soaps I hang onto. I've got a puck of the creme brulee and it truly could be eaten, it smells so good. Her florals are just fantastic too. Might grab a puck of the honeysuckle, reminds me of North Carolina in late spring.

Personally I think they are overrated. That doesn't mean they aren't any good though. I found them over scented and a runnier lather. I am not as big a fan of glycerin soaps as I am tallow or veg based soaps. Glycerin tends to make a slick but less cushiony lather IME, while tallow/veg makes a lather with both qualities.

I bought her Basil & Lime and Lime Ice scents, based on raves posted here. Won't be buying any more.

Melt-and-pour glycerin soaps aren't really made for shaving, in my humble opinion. I ended up with a burning/itching red rash on my face that lasted for three days.

Give me Cella, P.160, MdC, MWF or Arko and I'm a happy camper, TYVM. :drool:

I find them to be excellent. I would say the amount of mentions MB gets has a lot to do with their variety of scents. They seem to get more attention on this forum for scents instead of the soap itself. It doesn't mean they have the best soap out there, but I feel some people may think that way because of the amount of mentions they get. It is not the best lather, but it is an exceptional one. Couple that with some amazing scents and you can get an extremely enjoyable shave.

I think Mama Bear soaps are wonderful. The lather is incredible and very easy to create and her scents are great. I really enjoy her Vanilla Musk. YMMV

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I have yet to try a Mama Bear soap (or bath essential oil) that wasn't top notch. If you're looking for a unique scent, then it's gotta be Dragon's Blood.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I like the scents a lot. And for the type, it is very good stuff. Despite my poorly worded poll on the issue, however, most folks (and I mean by like 85% to 15%) prefer tallow and/or vegetable oil soaps to the melt and pour variety. It lathers nicely, but I found it does not last like my creams/or other soaps. Smells fantastic, though!

If you are in the 15% who prefer melt and pour soaps, they are simply awesome. If you are in the group that uses both types, they are still awesome to have in the rotation.

So I've bought Tabac, Proraso, TOBS Lavender and have a thing of Col. Conk that I got when I ordered an Onyx bowl from WCS - what are the opinoins on Mama Bears soaps?

Any good? Any negatives? Any "must own" scents?

I use a Silvertip badger, if it makes any difference

Hello!

I got "Drakkar Type" and "Sweet Vetyvera". Easy to lather, rich lather, no lubrication, I felt like stings on my skin after 1 minute lathering, good but not outstanding smell. All in one I´m pretty disapointed, they are IMHO highly overrated.

The price of the two pucks was 19,98$ shipping rate to Europe was 13,95$ :(

I´ll stay by my Valobra, Taylor of Old Bond Street, Mühle, La Toja, L´Occitane, I Coloniali, Hijm, Aramis and stuff.

I like it just fine. It's not my favorite, but when in a hurry, a decent lather takes almost no time, which is nice.

But,we're now in the month of TABACtober, so it's TABAC for the next few weeks. Then maybe more MB..

Top Bottom