Modern vs Vintage
Type of metal
Budget
Rigid blade hold
Artisan or major company
Excellent razors can be found for around $20 all the way to $500

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I was thinking about wrapping up the year with a new razor. I am leaning toward one, which will remain nameless to prevent any enablers from tempting me. But, still not committed to anything at this point. I am looking for razors that are available and obtainable. Not looking to be placed on a wait list for years.

1575462621640.png

I'll be interested in what you pick, but your question is not one I could begin to answer for reasons other gentlemen have mentioned. I once wrote a post about my favorite safety razor. I'm not saying it would be or should be your favorite, and also I'm not saying it's the best razor, but you might get something out of the post in terms of understanding factors which might go into one guy's thinking about what's best. As others have mentioned, there are many other factors.

I doubt that's very helpful but hope it might be.

Happy shaves,

Jim

What’s best for me may not be be best for you.
That’s what makes this hobby so interesting! :popc: :popc:

Three different handles, same head. All Made in England and the BEST shaving razor ever produced anywhere on the earth.123 There you have it!!!
YMMV

I am a SR shaver but I need a razor to travel with, etc. I decided to try the plastic OneBlade Core because it takes the same blades as my beloved Valet AutoStrop VC2. I must admit I am very impressed. It takes no skill or technique whatsoever to shave with this and the price is now a reasonable 20 bucks for the plastic version. Obviously with the Feather SS blade it gives a very close 1.5 pass shave (first pass all ATG, half pass XTG) and you are good to go. The blade is about 3x thicker than a DE, and mounts with some play compared to a DE which has the blade locked down, so it gives audible feedback more like a full hollow SR.

From a pure mechanics standpoint, I would have to say there probably isn't a better razor out there. Not as much fun as a SR of course.

Three different handles, same head. All Made in England and the BEST shaving razor ever produced anywhere on the earth.123 There you have it!!!
YMMV

Lol. When you follow it with “YMMV”, it takes a little bit of the power out of a statement like, “the BEST shaving razor ever produced anywhere on the earth”.

Even a watch is a tool, if you think about it. If it keeps time, it does its job.

Similarly, if a razor provides a satisfactory shave, it does its job.

Having said that, there is no reason for a person to not get whatever kind of watch it whatever kind of razor he desires, regardless of how ridiculous it may seem to other people, as long he can afford to buy it without jeopardizing the health or welfare of himself or his family.
Exactly +1

The best affordable higher end razor is probably the Timeless Bronze SB. Wonderful shave, don’t let the .38 gap fool you, it is a monster and will almost give you BBS on the first pass. Not cheap but not outrageous either. Go on their eBay store and wait for an eBay 15 or 20% off day and you are set.

Treat yourself with the new Tradere OC that is being reprised by Blackland.
Iconic design, nice efficiency, they look superb.
And great service
The OP specifically said readily available
/obtainable.
So does the Tadere OC fit the criteria?

For you maybe, but since the forum and
Shaving in general consists of more than
Just you, let's just leave it at that.
A forum is a public meeting place for open discussion. Maybe some other people agree with me. You don't, I guess. If you have something to express, go ahead. Trying to shut someone down if you disagree with them means you don't really want a forum.

On topic, we still don't know what the OP means by "best."

Top Bottom