What's new

OOTD- oolong of the day

For some reason I can't access jingteashop.com from my home. There is a firewall or router that drops me right before I hit their server. It's really frustrating because I'd really like to order from them but there's no way in hell I'll paste my CC details while browsing through a proxy. :frown:

Looks nice. I like the lighter ones. Some of the TGY's are roasted to death. Bleh.

You grew hair!

Interestingly, Gordon is recommending the Fall harvest over the spring. He is also recommending the Bai Cha Tang 8G Ancient Tree Green Cake 2008 400g Raw. I know this is an oolong link but any thoughts?

You grew hair!

Interestingly, Gordon is recommending the Fall harvest over the spring. He is also recommending the Bai Cha Tang 8G Ancient Tree Green Cake 2008 400g Raw. I know this is an oolong link but any thoughts?

Personally I haven't had much luck with fall oolongs- especially the lighter oolongs. Just not up to my tastes, really. Spring is more floral in general, with a punchier aroma so if that's your thing I recommend the spring. Winter is usually my favorite as they tend to be heavier on taste, with everything else lacking. Of course, a tea vendor would not steer you wrong when you have your wallet open :lol:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Last night I had the pleasure of drinking a 99 Rou Gui. Great stuff! A little sour, but otherwise delicious.

Yesterday's tea was this Shan Ling Xi from teafromtaiwan.com. I only have 7g in the sample so I decided to split it into two sessions. Normally I disregard brewing instructions from vendors because they say useless crap like "let the shu steep for 3-5 minutes before drinking". In this case it said that my first gong fu infusion should be 50s. That seemed long but I'll try it.

Bits from my notes:

Leaves very fragrant. Don't seem to be roasted much at all. Very tight pellets.

50s - Grassy with strong berries. Soft mouthfeel and a tiny touch of astringency. Very sweet. Soup almost totally clear.
60s - Intense berry wist nice grass and a hint of straw.
85s - Berry starts to weaken. Color deepens to a faint yellow-green. Slight woody middle note. Flower flavors developing.
2m - Color deepens to a pale chartreuse. Berries still present even if more muted. Flowers strongs. Subtle wood.
3m - Flavors starting fade. Light berries and flowers. Sweetness still quite strong.
4m - Nothing left but a vegetal flavor and sweetness.

Leaves - Beautifully whole. Green and almost entirely undamaged. Mostly 2 leaf and 1 bud although I did find a 4 leaf sprig.

All in all a very nice session. This may be apples and oranges but I liked this one better than the premium TGY of Anxi that Yunnan sells.

2008 Big Red Robe from Yunnan:

I tried shorter infusions as suggested earlier in this thread. I had a much better session this time around but I'm still not sure how I feel about DHP.

2008 Big Red Robe from Yunnan:

I tried shorter infusions as suggested earlier in this thread. I had a much better session this time around but I'm still not sure how I feel about DHP.
I like DHP and similar dark yan cha and I have had some very fine ones ... including one that was over $1.00 per gram. But it has never been something I reach for spontaneously. While for many tea drinkers it is the first choice, for me the first choice is almost always something else: green, sheng, shu, lighter oolong, or even black when I just want something to make me smile. The result is that it gets prioritized downward and I don't indulge often.

It's good and sometimes even wonderful, but just not something I crave.

I like DHP and similar dark yan cha and I have had some very fine ones ... including one that was over $1.00 per gram. But it has never been something I reach for spontaneously. While for many tea drinkers it is the first choice, for me the first choice is almost always something else: green, sheng, shu, lighter oolong, or even black when I just want something to make me smile. The result is that it gets prioritized downward and I don't indulge often.

My drinking for the most part aligns with the weather. In Winter I'm constantly drinking Shui Xian, Da Hong Pao, Dianhong, Shu Pu, and older Sheng. Fall feels like Dancong. Spring is lighter Oolongs, greens, and Summer is all young Sheng all the time. Young Sheng is horrible to drink in Summer, but it's what I've been doing the past few years as they get released. This Summer I probably won't drink much tea at all.

I see that trend in myself somewhat. I've been on an oolong kick lately but I find myself drawn to the lighter teas. The shame is that each day I can only drink one tea (usually). More than one session and I'm zooming around like caffeinated lightning. This means that each days selection is a terribly difficult decision.

Today I'm drinking some 1970's Baozhong from Teamasters. The 90's Baozhong from Houde is better as it's richer and fuller. The tastes of both are very similar, but this one feels a little bit more empty. The chaqi on this stuff is pretty crazy though, so watch out. Might want to drink this one sitting down.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
How is it possible that there are more shu posts than oolong posts in the Cafe''''.

Sheng I can understand, but shu? :confused:

Get with it, oolong guys. :lol:

How is it possible that there are more shu posts than oolong posts in the Cafe''''.

Sheng I can understand, but shu? :confused:

Get with it, oolong guys. :lol:

Ugh...how can you even sully these pages with the mention of shu? I just don't get it. The experience for me of a complex rich Oolong like TKY is similar to a good raw Puer. This may be sinful, but I even brew them in the same Yixing (not at the same time, mind you; you can call off the Sheng Protection Administration ). But shu's leave me mystified. Chemical and plastic are the tastes that come to mind. Every time I try one, I imagine a large military Chinese truck driving over the leaves, drying them with it's exhaust :frown2:

I personally love shu, but right now I'm drinking some extremely cheap and tasty 08 Milan Dancong. 5$ per 100g is juuuust fine with me.

Top Bottom