What's new

Only if you love Rockwell 6S/6C - plate 3/4

I’ve had my 6S for a week now and have figured out that I get the same efficiency using plate 3 as I do with setting 2 on my Parker Variant using the same blade. That said, I love the Parker because I feel like I receive more feedback, but the 6S is a more comfortable shave overall. YMMV yadda yadda.…

Stando Polska's Mara and Zoria are said to shave similarly to Plate 3/Plate 4. The Svarog and Silesia are closer to plate 4/5, maybe plate 6.

It's definitely expensive, but I wouldn't say it's unfair compared to a Rockwell 6S or Yates from Anticatura.

I think the Rockwell plate 4 is an amazing shaver. I believe the R89 is somewhere between the plate 3-4 and is a great budget razor ($25-30) and one of my favorites.

But I recently tried out a GameChanger 84p and was amazed at how good it shaved for a slightly more aggressive razor then I was used to. It feels a tad more aggressive then the Rockwell but is also very smooth unlike some other very aggressive razors I’ve tested. The 68p is probably pretty close to the 3-4 plate but I only did a couple swipes with it so far out of curiosity. I recommend getting both base plates since they share the same top cap & handle. You can get both brand new for around $80 or so shipped. The razors themselves are only $55 complete which is a bargain compared to anyone else.

I love their Barber Pole handle which costs $2-3 extra when ordering but you may go with the bulldog handle as it’s no additional cost and is very similar to the Rockwell handle. I’d advise skipping the Lupo unless you have the money to play with a bunch of razors. They have a lot more blade feel but are nice razors.

My second choice for you is the Blackland ERA Level 4 plate. I believe the razor is only $75 new and I found the 4 plate very mild but also very efficient. I cant wait to try a level 5 plate as well.

Honorable mentions that I haven’t tested myself yet - Tatara Masamune, Karve Overlander, Karve CB with probably C plate, and the ATT Windsor razors. ( no knowledge of the Yates or Timeless yet so won’t mention those).

Seriously… try a GameChanger with both 68 and 84 plates if nothing else since it’s super cheap and the best shaving razor I have used so far. With that ERA being a close second pick for you.

I don't know about the lupos, I found 2 pics somewhere on the forum: one with a lupo .72 with a positive blade exposure and one with a lupo .58 with something that seems to be a slightly negative blade exposure( the picture of .58 did't have the lines to prove it, I draw those lines myself).

Attachments

• Razorock lupo 58.png
    Razorock lupo 58.png
    949 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220310_212145.jpg
    20220310_212145.jpg
    875.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Still001 Razorock Lupo,72 + Gillette 7oClock SS blade.jpg
    Still001 Razorock Lupo,72 + Gillette 7oClock SS blade.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 34
I don't know about the lupos, I found 2 pics somewhere on the forum: one with a lupo .72 with a positive blade exposure and one with a lupo .58 with something that seems to be a slightly negative blade exposure( the picture of .58 did't have the lines to prove it, I draw those lines myself).
Razorock says Lupo 58 has positive blade exposure too.

Update.

Since my first post I have used Razorock Lupo .58 and Razorock Gamechanger .68. Lupo is more efficient than Rockwell 6S plates 3/4 but is also more aggressive. I find Gamechanger .68 just a little less efficient than Rockwell 6S plates 3/4, but a little more aggressive. The aggression is tested when i go ATG on my neck, can't go there without irritations, only with my Rockwell, but even so I have to go with the 1/2 plates. Gamechanger is so smooth that I feel wonderful when shaving ATG but the next day I have irritations.

Bottom line: Rockwell 6S is still the KING.

Update.

Since my first post I have used Razorock Lupo .58 and Razorock Gamechanger .68. Lupo is more efficient than Rockwell 6S plates 3/4 but is also more aggressive. I find Gamechanger .68 just a little less efficient than Rockwell 6S plates 3/4, but a little more aggressive. The aggression is tested when i go ATG on my neck, can't go there without irritations, only with my Rockwell, but even so I have to go with the 1/2 plates. Gamechanger is so smooth that I feel wonderful when shaving ATG but the next day I have irritations.

Bottom line: Rockwell 6S is still the KING.
Thanks for the update! If the RazoRock razors are still giving you irritation, and only if you want to add to the Rockwell comfort, you might want to save up for a Tatara Masamune.

Update:

I found the ONE razor that gives me the same level of comfort/efficiency, depending on the way i dial it up and down: Gillette Slim Adjustable. I now have 2 perfect razors for my beard/skin type.

Top Bottom