What's new

Only if you love Rockwell 6S/6C - plate 3/4

Some options to consider:

Yates M plate
Karve C plate (could consider B also)
ATT Windsor SSMR
Tatara Masamune
Merkur Progress
You totally read my mind with all but the ATT (no personal experience). Yates M is my personal favorite, and I am a big fan of the Karve Christopher Bradley.

I have never tried the Karve Overlander, but from what I have read the Overlander for many is the pinnacle of mild & efficient.

You totally read my mind with all but the ATT (no personal experience). Yates M is my personal favorite, and I am a big fan of the Karve Christopher Bradley.

I have never tried the Karve Overlander, but from what I have read the Overlander for many is the pinnacle of mild & efficient.

Yah, Yates is my favorite from the above list.
ATT Windsor would be #2. It's a wonderful razor! Incredibly smooth, nearly zero blade feel and zero blade chatter.

Reactions: ewk
I love plate 4 on Rockwell and I find it unique among my other few de razors. I hardly believe that another razor could give a better shave but I don't want to discourage you trying a new razor.

Different Blades could make the shave better or worse.

Razorock Gamechanger 0.68P or 0.84P. Your plate 4 is probably close to the 0.84 and the plate 3 the 0.68. Don't be frightened of the 0.84 though - it's smooth and very easy to use imo. Beautifully made, stainless steel, and very competitively priced. Rarely hear a bad word said about either of them.

I use a Rockwell 6c plate 4 often. I find is about the same as the Game Changer .68 even if the GC is a little harder to find the sweet spot. I like to GC a little more only because of the head size. You really can not go wrong with either razor. I think the vintage techs, the Schick Korona, and the Baili razors are a little more mild but they all shave great.

I use the Rockwell 6C with the 3 side. The feel is similar to the .68 Game Changer and the Karve Christopher Bradley with the A plate. The B plate was just slightly more aggressive. I obviously like a mild razor.

I can’t really go with any razor made in the USA because of the shipment costs and the customs fees. I could go with Razorock as I have a sister in law living in Canada.
I understand that Razorock gamechanger .68 would be a match, maybe Razorock lupo .58( it seems to have a superior design)?
I enjoyed Fatip testina gentile but it is not as smooth as my 6s.

I love plate 4 on Rockwell and I find it unique among my other few de razors. I hardly believe that another razor could give a better shave but I don't want to discourage you trying a new razor.

Different Blades could make the shave better or worse.
I’m starting to belive that too, trying myself a few diferent mostly mild-medium razors. I think all I want is a 6s with a smaller head.

Yates 921-M is a very comfortable shaver and it's more efficient than the Rockwell 6 n plate 6. It's also alot more nimble, better balanced and you'd have the option to buy additional plates.

A Merkur Progress is an interesting adjustable razor thats smooth on all settings. Mild on low and on the aggressive (but still smooth) side when fully opened

If you like vintage a Gillette Rocket is very similar in smoothness and efficiency but again the head is much slimmer and it's alot lighter, so more manouverable.

I only use my 6c on plated 5 and 6.

Regarding the comparison to the GC... I have tried dscosmetics counter parts of open comb. 68 and a GC sb 84. Lupo razors are more blade forward than gc razors. From my experience both are considerably more aggressive than the Rockwell on plate 6. I' m not saying you shouldn't buy one. They are great tools and I enjoy using the. 86 clone, but if it's the Rockwell's carefree shaving you are after (or as you put it, "looking for a 6 with a smaller head) the Yates will probably better suit your needs.

Funny you should mention it. I love my Rockwell on the 4 plate.

The only razor I've used that "for me", is as good a shave is my 1940's Gillette Super Speed.

The Rockwell is smoother over all but the Super Speed gives me as close and trouble free a shave
as the Rockwell with the same 2 pass shave and a little neck work.

Ain't shavin' fun!

I hear you with Yates, very tempting but out of reach for me living in Europe, and it’s a little bit expensive.

living in Europe
Hi man, there's a Slovenian shaving shop that sells Yates razors. It's where I got mine. It's called Anticatura.

They ship worldwide. Took my Yates only 3 workdays to arrive. The only downside is they only have the M plate version. But thats probably exactly what you need.

Will agree that it's slightly expensive. Perhaps the DScosmetic d8 would suit your needs. In fact you could order both the stainless steel ds-8 (which is a copy of razorock. 68 and a ds-9 which mimmics the GC. 84) for about 120 euro's Aliexpress. Perhaps thats also an interesting option to explore. Like I said, I have the ds-9,it's pretty, well made but more aggressive than your Rockwell.

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Hmm, you are ahead of most people!

If you zeroed in 3/4 and not interested in expanding, why not stick with it? Finding something perfect is what brought most of us here in the first place.

My opinion - Tatara Massamune handle and SB with the Nodachi cap. It will be like a Yates M, Rockwell 4, etc but will eliminate all blade chatter present in the Rockwell and be much better balanced. For what you described, it is the perfect combination (except it’s an expensive razor).

Dang it, I have to correct myself. Anticatura does have H plates as well and different handles... Too bad I only noticed this now. 😬

Top Bottom