What's new

Online IQ Tests

Anyone know of a good IQ test website? Are they all a joke? I've ran across a few but they practically want a blood sample in addition to too much personal info.
Sue

I've come to the similar conclusion, Sue. After 20 minutes of heavy brain usage they seem to think it's cute to bombard you with page after page of solicitations and then once you finally make it through all those they ask for a credit card number. :cursing:

I've taken a few that have actually turned out to be free, but make sure you have a junk e-mail account because they will spam and bujesus out of it.

Thanks for the spam tip. I forgot about that.

Several friends/family and I have been looking for one that will somewhat end a fun non-monetary bet of sorts. I'm surprised Mensa doesn't have something online.
Sue

Most online IQ tests, much like most online "personality" tests, "romance" quizzes, and "politics maps" are at their best, complete bunk. At their worst, they're thinly-veiled dragnets for email addresses and other personal info.

There's on the order of dozens of different IQ test designs, although in general, most of them utilize the same scale distribution. There's considerable debate on which, if any, are truly accurate for adults. I personally believe that many such IQ measures and the data often correlated to them are reflective of a decades-outdated experimental approach.

So, if what you're after is a number, it's going to be fairly meaningless (and perhaps wildly variable depending on what sort of test you take), regardless of the legitimacy of the test itself. If you're looking for a fun mental workout, however, there's lots of fun sites out there, similar to the Mensa test you found. Games like BrainAge for the Nintendo DS and Wii are also great fun and often insightful. (I sometimes enjoy perplexus.info, but it's pretty math-heavy and sometimes the problems require a bit of programming)

Most online IQ tests, much like most online "personality" tests, "romance" quizzes, and "politics maps" are at their best, complete bunk. At their worst, they're thinly-veiled dragnets for email addresses and other personal info.

There's on the order of dozens of different IQ test designs, although in general, most of them utilize the same scale distribution. There's considerable debate on which, if any, are truly accurate for adults. I personally believe that many such IQ measures and the data often correlated to them are reflective of a decades-outdated experimental approach.

So, if what you're after is a number, it's going to be fairly meaningless (and perhaps wildly variable depending on what sort of test you take), regardless of the legitimacy of the test itself. If you're looking for a fun mental workout, however, there's lots of fun sites out there, similar to the Mensa test you found. Games like BrainAge for the Nintendo DS and Wii are also great fun and often insightful. (I sometimes enjoy perplexus.info, but it's pretty math-heavy and sometimes the problems require a bit of programming)

Pat you summed this up, very well. If you really want an IQ test, you are going to have to contact a psychologist, nothing you will find online is reliable.

Well, the plus side of no available tests means I can't lose and get the dinner tab :)
Sue

One of the best comments on IQ scores were by Warren Buffett:

"Success in investing doesn't correlate with I.Q. once you're above the level of 25. Once you have ordinary intelligence, what you need is the temperament to control the urges that get other people into trouble in investing." - BusinessWeek Interview June 25 1999

He has also made the analogy that IQ is like the horsepower output of the engine, but that common sense (or the lack thereof) acts the same way the transmission does.

So if a person has a 200 point IQ, but no common sense, you get no power/output.

Every day, I see people who would blow the top off an IQ test who have no common sense and therefore don't add much value - at the same time I see people who are of average/slightly above average intelects who have great common sense/instinct who are great assets to my team.

Just my $0.02.

"Success in investing doesn't correlate with I.Q. once you're above the level of 25. Once you have ordinary intelligence, what you need is the temperament to control the urges that get other people into trouble in investing." - BusinessWeek Interview June 25 1999

He has also made the analogy that IQ is like the horsepower output of the engine, but that common sense (or the lack thereof) acts the same way the transmission does.

So if a person has a 200 point IQ, but no common sense, you get no power/output.

Every day, I see people who would blow the top off an IQ test who have no common sense and therefore don't add much value - at the same time I see people who are of average/slightly above average intelects who have great common sense/instinct who are great assets to my team.

Just my $0.02.

Studies have shown that people in the 130-150 range are the most successful, but when scores venture much high the population is split either remarkably successful or very minimal.

Shawn,
That's a very good point. I know a couple of ppl with very high IQ's. One is a Gentleman and a member of Mensa. When working (now ret.) he was a Professor at Washington University in St. Louis. Very nice human being but the personality of a ant.

Another woman who is in her mid 40's with an off the chart IQ and absolutely no common sense. She makes horrendous life choices and decisions.

The third, another woman in her 40's is difficult to carry on a conversation with as she constantly interjects 'corrections'. For instance, if I comment on how well a type of flower is growing in the beds, she corrects me with the proper name 'oh, that's a 'Pentas lanceolata'. After a long enough time, I feel like I should have been in the short bus in school.

Good common sense and a calculator works for me. :)

Just my $0.02.

Studies have shown that people in the 130-150 range are the most successful, but when scores venture much high the population is split either remarkably successful or very minimal.

+1 IQ scores and other tests such as BMI (body mass index) etc can be useful tools in the hands of a pro, but IMO otherwise such tests have very little value.

My parents had myself and my two siblings measured for IQ when we were kids but they never told us how it came out. They said it was because they didn't want us to bicker about who was higher, which at the time sounded ridiculous (perhaps because as the eldest I was convinced it would be me :tongue: ), but looking back I think it was a great decision. If my number had come back high, what would that have done for me? Probably convinced me that I was a genius and thus I didn't need to work as hard at school. And if it came back low or even dead average, I probably would have felt oppressed by my low "ceiling" and again not tried as hard.

The way it worked out, I had no idea how "smart" I was and as a result I had to prove myself on every test. To this day I still don't know what my number is, and honestly I prefer not knowing. That way I have neither a reason to not try something nor an excuse for failing.

My parents had myself and my two siblings measured for IQ when we were kids but they never told us how it came out. They said it was because they didn't want us to bicker about who was higher, which at the time sounded ridiculous (perhaps because as the eldest I was convinced it would be me :tongue: ), but looking back I think it was a great decision. If my number had come back high, what would that have done for me? Probably convinced me that I was a genius and thus I didn't need to work as hard at school. And if it came back low or even dead average, I probably would have felt oppressed by my low "ceiling" and again not tried as hard.

I had a similar experience... I was tested in 4th grade and although the actual goal of the test was to assess my aptitude for the gifted program in middle school, it did also come back with a number. My parents withheld this information from me until I was in college. I'm uncertain as to whether my brother received the same test.

I was offered a spot in Mensa but I was too poor to afford the dues, I'm glad I didn't. My Dad is a member and he gets the magazine or newsletter (whatever it is) and it sounds mostly like a bunch of folks talking about how intelligent they've become.

I agree that IQ tests don't determine much without common sense and ambition. How you're feeling physically can affect the outcome, if you're sick or distracted you're going to score lower.

I also agree it's a good thing to with-hold that information until kids become adults, even then though it can be troublesome. My Dad beat me by 4 pts on the Mensa test and we constantly give each other a hard time about it.

Yes, most of the online IQ tests, atleast the ones that I've taken, are a joke. They give you an inflated score to boost your ego, so that they can send you your not-so-free report.

I took the Stanford-Binet in 9th grade, which my adjusted score shows me to be above-average. However, the online tests normally throw some outrageously high genius level score at me after completion and I simply know they're not accurate.

Besides, IQ tests generally only cover certain facets of a person's individual intellect. Someone may have poor spatial sense, but may be a genius in his/her given field. This person would "score" poorly on an IQ test though.

Just call me stupid.........

LOL

Actually, in the past few tests I've taken, I scored in the 130-140 range.

Sorry to Brig :biggrin:

==Tom

Top Bottom