What's new

One Strop to rule them all.

So I just received the new strop I ordered from Heirloom Workshops. I heard so much about them and expected it to be really nice.

It’s beyond that. It’s flat out insane. The most well built and good looking strop I’ve ever seen by MILES. Everything is of the highest quality. The handles!? This thing will last until I die.

Tony is a master craftsman. Even though I’ll never really need to buy another strop in my lifetime, I’ll be buying another somewhere down the road for sure. I can’t imagine using any other strop after laying hands on this thing.
0D9E6EE0-FB6D-49C6-923F-1EA1E2B9361A.jpeg
AE6F239E-1733-48C9-B26F-17083929A7CA.jpeg

I have just ordered one of Tony's premium strops. Looking forward to using it.

Last night I discovered another even fancier brand. Take a look at this:-

I ordered one just now. Really looking forward to using a real strop! I’ve been getting by on literally the cheapest one I could find on Amazon. It’s a piece of junk but I suppose it does the job, I just don’t know how well.

Tony does make good strops.

While all strops can do a good job of maintaining a straight razor, there are different types of fabric backing strops and different types of leather strops. They all feel different in use. Fabrics can be polyester, various types of cotton weave, and various types of linen weave. Polyester is quite "zippy" during use. It will quickly realign the edge, but I am not a fan. I much prefer cotton and linen.

Leather can vary as well. You can find strops from cowhide, horsehide, pigskin, kangaroo and horse rump shell. Depending upon how it is tanned, the leather can be rough like suede, slightly rough like latigo leather, moderately smooth like cowhide, smooth like fast bridle cowhide, or super smooth like Horween ChromExcel horsehide. Then there is Cordovan shell that is has its own character that is difficult to describe.

Although you can certainly use a single fabric and a single leather for stropping, I like using multiple strops during my stropping session. I might do 20 laps on cotton, then 20 laps on linen. Then I will do 20 laps on latigo, 20 laps on cowhide, and finish with 20 laps on fast bridle, horsehide, or cordovan shell for 100 laps total. It might be all in my head, but somehow that type of progression seems to work best for me. Even if the progression does not improve the edge of my razor, the experience improves my attitude.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Even if the progression does not improve the edge of my razor, the experience improves my attitude.
That statement is true in many scenarios. I still shoot vintage film cameras 95% of the time. 35mm and medium format, did 4x5 for a while too. Makes zero difference what I use from a quality point as I only scan and view my images now days on a 16" laptop. No darkroom printing or enlargements anymore. But....the experience of using equipment I remember from the 70s, the methodology of manual cameras, hand held light meters, "Sunny 16" etc....improves my attitude as well.

Buy what you like, use it, but focus on the experience most of all.

I purchased Tony's leather strop based on this forum. I'm new to straight razor shaving so I haven't really used this yet (nor do I know how to yet). But this is literally a work of art. I can't emphasize the quality of this. Even if you aren't using this as a strop, it's such a beautiful object. It's 3 inches wide, it reeks of leather (in a good way), and it's HIGH quality. This was the average use strop so around $50, but I have a feeling this will last generations.

20220907_191550.jpg

@Tony Miller I received my strop today and let me just say that It. Is. Beautiful!

I can’t wait to use it tonight. Top notch craftsmanship and yes I noticed that you take the time to align the slots on every single screw. That really shows the care that went into it.

Do I need to do anything before using it, or can I just start stropping every razor I own?

@Tony Miller I received my strop today and let me just say that It. Is. Beautiful!

I can’t wait to use it tonight. Top notch craftsmanship and yes I noticed that you take the time to align the slots on every single screw. That really shows the care that went into it.

Do I need to do anything before using it, or can I just start stropping every razor I own?

No need to "do" anything to your new strop. Just strop and that's all that is needed.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…

Glad you like it. Most I would do is rub with the hands before use. No pastes, oils or dressings are needed or suggested.

I always "clock" the screws, just the proper way to do things.

Thanks!

I liked Tony's bridle leather "value" strop so much I had to get the real deal with all the bells and whistles. Old No. 2 with leather handles and flax linen 2nd. Tony noticed I had ordered the bridle leather with brown caps and offered to match the caps and handles with that. Also ordered a plain cotton strop to do my CrOx treatments. Everything is absolutely top notch. Thanks again Tony! (sorry lighting is not good)
Strops.jpg

Top Bottom