What's new

One stone honing with a Thuringian?

I just watched a video of Gary (Gssixgun) doing one stone honing using a Thuringian. Would anyone even attempt this? I feel like even with a Y/G slurry that there isn't a thuringian stone fast enough to sharpen after bevel set all the way up to finish?

I've tried following a Chosera 1k with a slurried Thuringian numerous times. And it just takes a long time to remove the 1k scratches with my Thuringian. I prefer to use at least one other stone to bridge the gap.

The only other stones I have besides the chosera 1k are Coticules,Thuris and a Naniwa 12k. I might have to expand. Maybe more synthetics? Chosera 800, 3000, 5000 progression to add to my 1k?

Last edited:
Have to expand? - no, you're covered well with what you have IMO.
But - you should probably just buy them all anyway.

Haha I just bought the chosera 800x a couple days ago. Set 5 bevels on it today with no effort. That stone is a beast.

Have to expand? - no, you're covered well with what you have IMO.
But - you should probably just buy them all anyway.

Keith is en enabling mode this morning and I have to agree since I love to enable too! But honestly, if you have the funds... why not? If you end up not loving them, sell them at a slight discount.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Short answer yes if you have time. Many Japanese stones can go to finish off a 1k especially if you have a fast cutting stone. Alex Gilmore has many examples on YouTube. I prefer to use a mid grit, either a separate stone or a good mid grit nagura before finishing, though the right JNat could do very well with more than one tomo slurry.

Cheers, Steve

Sure, you can. But why would you; what's the point?
In the event of a Zombie Apocalypse or other dystopian world ending event, we will all probably be forced into nomadic lifestyles living off what we find and what we carry. In that event,having one small portable stone that can take our only remaining razor from after bevel set to finish will be crucial. We'll be able to exchange edge touch with other travelers for food, water, fuel and ammo.

I don't think you guys quite thought this through, but now you know.

In the post apocalypse wilderness there was only one man who controlled all trade - the Hone Master. His edges were straight and true....and deadly.

I don't think that shaving, honing or parlor tricks are going to be on the top of my to-do list during a zombie apocolypse.

In the event of a Zombie Apocalypse or other dystopian world ending event, we will all probably be forced into nomadic lifestyles living off what we find and what we carry. In that event,having one small portable stone that can take our only remaining razor from after bevel set to finish will be crucial. We'll be able to exchange edge touch with other travelers for food, water, fuel and ammo.

I don't think you guys quite thought this through, but now you know.

In the post apocalypse wilderness there was only one man who controlled all trade - the Hone Master. His edges were straight and true....and deadly.

I don't think that shaving, honing or parlor tricks are going to be on the top of my to-do list during a zombie apocolypse.

Who will have time for pyramids and circles post-apocalypse?

Sure, you can. But why would you; what's the point?

This is a very old video, not sure why, but the thing at SRP at the time was to convince people that coticules were nothing special. Case in point; this video. Henry hit the nail on the head, as did Heespharm. You can start to finish hone on ANY finisher. I've done dozens of blades at this point on a SB ark. I actually like them better for it than coti's, but that's beside the point. Thuri's aren't the absolute worst at it because they tend to be quite speedy for their grit; but they're no better than a good synth in that range. So the question would be, why?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
One stone zombie whomper, with free double taps.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 58
Top Bottom