What's new

One small step for man, one giant step for Doug into the wild world of the Wet Shave

Yesterday, bowing to the applauding crowd, with crimson tinged lather clinging to my face, I wonder what went wrong and what went right? Hadn't I looked at many videos watching the clever razor welders whisk off their beards with no effort at all? Hadn't I listened to the wise sagacious words of beard preparation? Didn't I bravely go where lots have gone before me, and what was the result....a few, 5, 6 nicks or so...but who's counting...about the nose to lip region and the chin.

Just how was my hand and razor grasp to be at? It felt very awkward at times when I tried to shave about my chin to neck region?

Man, am I CUT out to do this? Yes, I cry, as I slowly carry my sorry mug, out of the bathroom, and show SWMBO my entry into manhood!

What a learning curve I am in for!

So today, Saturday I go to work, I used an electric razor to let my face settle down a little.

Any words to help me in my break in period? Should I 'condition' my face with some DE shaving first, or just jump in with both feet?

Thanks for any help that will come my way.
icon10.png

Doug

Shaving Set up
Homemade Preshave oil with Castor oil grapeseed oil lavender essential oil etc.
After a shower
then hot towel on face 45-60 sec total tim

C O Bigelow (Proaso) shaving cream
Built a Super lather with a few drops of glycerin
Lathered face 2 min at least with a best badger brush
Razor Wester Bro De-Fi freshly honed by Larry Andreassen
Stropped only 30 times..... I have since stropped it 200 times and passes HHT
That is it. I tried doing a 90 degree anle and pulling straight down below my
nose, not scooping.

Note: though I don't have. Dense heavy beard my
hair is very course and thick.

You shall persevere!

I'm new to straights as well, but once you get that first nick-free shave, you'll be hooked (if you aren't already). Granted, it doesn't happen often for me yet, but I have achieved it.

The awkwardness of holding the razor will get better as well, I've found that pinching a finger between the monkey tail and the scales helps me stabilize the razor much more than anything else.

As far as helping your break-in period, I'd say just strive for a socially acceptable (and SWMBO acceptable) shave before you aim for anything better. Just go WTG and XTG. I still can't go ATG between my chin and my adam's apple... Just haven't figured out the technique there, or the proper sequence of angles to properly reduce the hair.

Don't give up!

Bergy, good start and keep at it! Good to see another Houstonian on here. For what it's worth, I'd stick to just WTG for the first 20 shaves or so, and try holding the razor in your hands until it starts feeling more comfortable. Remember it takes about 100 shaves with a straight to become really good. I'm ~40 shaves in and this number seems about accurate. I have only had about 3 blood free shaves. I'm now looking to make blood free part of my daily experience. Again, welcome sir and stay strong!

Also, cool Gandalf quote in your signature!

Make sure you have the right angles and that you don't apply pressure. For me that was the most important. I sometimes use some pressure still and when I do the shave get bad and most certain I nick myself.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Bergy, good start and keep at it! Good to see another Houstonian on here. For what it's worth, I'd stick to just WTG for the first 20 shaves or so, and try holding the razor in your hands until it starts feeling more comfortable. Remember it takes about 100 shaves with a straight to become really good. I'm ~40 shaves in and this number seems about accurate. I have only had about 3 blood free shaves. I'm now looking to make blood free part of my daily experience. Again, welcome sir and stay strong!

Also, cool Gandalf quote in your signature!

Excellent advise right here Bergy. I too am only about three months into using straights. I use DE & SE's during the week and take my time learning straights on the weekends. As Tkocloser said, I am only about 30 shaves in and am still trying to master on a consistent basis, blood & irritation free shaves on just wtg and xtg passes. And while there are some places, cheeks, sides of neck I am attempting atg, I know I am still along way off with my skill level for my chin, throat and jawline areas.

I watch as many different videos as I can and then watch them over and over, looking for the techniques that will help me. Also reading the sage advice from all the long time straight shaving members along with newer shavers who might post a shared difficulty that I am having and have discovered something that helps them, I will make a mental note and then practice that advice on the following weekend. The main thing is determination and never giving up and we will eventually get there. :)

About the angle, I am NOT sure what angle to take. I take one that is not horizontal but rather 30 degrees or less I suppose.

I do also mix in the SE DE shaving between the TWO shaves that I have had...some 5 days separated. But they will be closer together as my face gets used to the razor shaves from the SE, DE razors.

I must say here though... I do love the Weber ARC that I just received. 3 passes for the first shave, great shave!

Excellent advise right here Bergy. I too am only about three months into using straights. I use DE & SE's during the week and take my time learning straights on the weekends. As Tkocloser said, I am only about 30 shaves in and am still trying to master on a consistent basis, blood & irritation free shaves on just wtg and xtg passes. And while there are some places, cheeks, sides of neck I am attempting atg, I know I am still along way off with my skill level for my chin, throat and jawline areas.

I watch as many different videos as I can and then watch them over and over, looking for the techniques that will help me. Also reading the sage advice from all the long time straight shaving members along with newer shavers who might post a shared difficulty that I am having and have discovered something that helps them, I will make a mental note and then practice that advice on the following weekend. The main thing is determination and never giving up and we will eventually get there. :)

Well Tom it's good to have a close neighbor, you being in The Woodlands. I have a home that is being used by one of our Kids...thank goodness...long story that, which is just south of FM 2920, now we live in an Apt just south of FM 1960 by TC Jester.

Thanks for your tips, and the tips of all the contributors.

Top Bottom