What's new

One pen, one ink

I saw a one pipe one tobacco thread in the Brown leaf section and figured it would be a fun concept to start some conversation here in the nib.
So here is the hard question for many of us if you could only have one fountain pen and one ink what would you pick and why. This does not have to be something that you already own but it would be fun to hear the justification for picking that combo.
My choice would have to be my Lamy 2000 with my extra fine cursive Italic grind on it with some Robert Oster Fire and ice ink. My Lamy has held up against everyday use and has a decent ink captivity and is easy to maintain. And for the ink I love blue ink and I feel like the sheen in fire and ice would keep in interesting.
So let's hear it what would be your choices of one pen and one ink!

For me, it would probably be the engraved Pelikan M805 demonstrator. I'm a sucker for demonstrator pens and I love that the 805 has the engraving showing the different parts of the pen. Pair the pen with Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki and you've got a match made in heaven. I'm a sucker for blue inks!!

It's funny, I don't currently have this ink in this pen, but if I had to choose one and one it would be my Bexley Stalwart with Lamy Blue. The Stalwart is a charming oxblood color and never ever has a hard start and Lamy Blue has that barest lean towards purple in royal blue that I never get tired of seeing.

One pen and one ink for the rest of my life?

After that puzzle I started thinking about one armchair for the rest of my life - well that's easy because the one I bought 40 years ago, hand made in thick black hide will see me out. One car - after going with a friend to look at a very second hand but immaculate E class Mercedes estate with 240,000 miles and 98% original I probably should go for a new diesel Mercedes - that would be sensible - but instead go for a Nomad with an LS3.

Back to the original question. One pen, the sensible answer would be a Parker 51 with a medium or oblique nib and Parker blue ink. Always breathe a sigh of relief when I pick one up. a better pen would be either a Pelikan 800 or an MB146, both with OM nibs and Parker blue ink.

I have owned Pelikans for years but never particularly liked them, more a functional tool and not enough character. I was given Pelikan 800 over the weekend and that has a broad nib pen with some flex and its a joy to use.

Well, it seems that this comes up fairly often.

I currently have six fountain pens inked, none with the same ink. That's actually a bit more than usual, but two to four is typical. And then there are the Esterbrook desk pens, a sort of dip pen / fountain pen hybrid.

So it's not a real life thing to imagine that I'd stick to one pen and one ink. But one ink would be easier, I'd be happy enough with Namiki (Pilot) Blue, which is a nice enough shade with reasonable water resistance.

As for one pen, there are a number with which I would be satisfied enough for a time. I could probably use my Pilot Custom Heritage 92 with FM nib exclusively for a month without too much regret. I'm not going to, but I could.:001_302:

I like consistency and don't switch things up too much with inks, so my AL Sports and Kaweco inks have been very ideal combinations.

Kaweco Ice Sport, Fine steel nib with whatever Kaweco ink I happen to have laying around. Those pens are straightforward, reliable and the a great every day carry.

I behaved myself as usual so Santa asked me last year what pen that I wanted for Christmas? So I suggested to Santa a Pelikan M805 engraved demonstrator fountain pen. Guess what? I was gifted a Pelikan M805 engraved demonstrator fp in November last year as an early Christmas gift! I can easily make this Pelikan fp my one pen for the rest of my life. So I concur with @DukeNDuke that the Pelikan M805 engraved demonstrator fountain pen is a stunning FP! I`ve posted in "What`s in your pocket" thread this pen for almost 4-5 months straight pretty well everyday and I`ve never gotten bored writing/looking at this Pelikan demonstrator fp. Oh, I hope Santa will ask me what pen I want this year?! It`s going to be really tough to top the Pelikan M805 engraved demonstrator pen if Santa gifts me?
OK now for one ink! Though I haven`t been using this ink a lot recently but it`s the Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine ink. I like the blue green colour of this ink and the right amount of wetness and the nice ink flow. I like the shading and sheen. Bottom line it`s an ink I just like and it`s well behaved and not over the top.

Very good responses so far it's interesting to hear everyone's thought process on making the impossible decision to pick just one pen :117:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
proxy.php
It would have to be my Pelikan M600 in Ruby Red with a stub nib by Pendleton Brown. The ink would be iroshizuku yama-budo. It's the only ink I've ever had in this pen and a wonderful combination.

It will be interesting to see if there is a marked preference for Pelikan. Montblanc are the masters of advertising and image, but do they make the pens that people want for their 'one and only'?

It will be interesting to see if there is a marked preference for Pelikan. Montblanc are the masters of advertising and image, but do they make the pens that people want for their 'one and only'?
Honestly for some reason to me Pelikan just seems to really hit the nail on the head with their different pen designs where they come out with so many different colors and limited editions plus they perform well you have a win win combo

Lots of Pelikan people in here! I`ve heard it said if you want a really nice pen buy a Pelikan pen and with the money saved in doing so compared to other pen brands you can take your love one out for a nice fancy meal from the money saved. But sadly with its new Pelikan owner (not original owner) they are increasing their prices yearly and have become a luxury brand too. Thankfully they have pens in all price brackets to help cater to all peoples despite that their higher end pens are becoming less approachable due to their increases.

Only one of each would be (for me, of course) Kaweco Brass Sport with gold extra fine nib and Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses.

Actually the ink is easier than the pen: Pilot Blue. I think I'd have to go with Pilot 92 with two way .7mm cursive italic and fine nib. I used a Pelikan 600 in EF as my primary (90% of the time) for many years, but I prefer both the Pilot nib and the Pilot plunger system.

Top Bottom